cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In need of some advice on getting a high limit card and consolidating.

tag
Thebrandonlogan

In need of some advice on getting a high limit card and consolidating.

I have been doing research, and more research, and even more research.

I am looking for a card I have a good chance at getting a high balance on so that I can transfer a balance and save on the interest. Everyone here seems to have much more experience on the subject than I can get from the hundreds of articles on Google. You all have personal experience, so I figure why not ask those who have first hand done this type of thing. So let me paint the picture:

Cards I currently have on my report are...

American Express Premier Rewards Gold - Open <--- Use the Most

American Express EveryDay - $2,000

Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Signature - $4,000

Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa - $700

Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite MasterCard- $7,000

Best Buy MasterCard - $2,200

Best Buy MasterCard - $100 <--- Oldest Card (Was originally just a store card then they made it a Mastercard about a year ago.)

Capital One Quicksilver One MasterCard - $3,000 <--- Second Oldest Card (Was originally Platinum was upgraded.)

Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $13,000 <--- Most Active Credit Card

Citi ThankYou Preferred Visa - $4,250

Discover it - $13,600

I have about $5400 I want to transfer off of my Discover it because of the interest. I was looking at Chase Slate but have read a lot about how it is approved for a small limit a lot of the time, and also I already have a card with Chase, I am not sure if that hurts my chances of getting another high limit.

Any advice on what to do in this instance?

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

Re: In need of some advice on getting a high limit card and consolidating.

That's a tough question to answer as there are too many factors that play a role in determining whether or not you'll be approved for a CC with a high enough limit for a BT. 

First, I would check and see if you have any balance transfer offers on your current accounts. Check your Arrival. Barclays loves giving BT offers. Your CSP may also have a BT offer. I called Chase today to see if there were any offers on my CSP, and a BT offer was available. It's not what I was looking for, but you are. So give it a try!

Message 2 of 14
Thebrandonlogan

Thanks heyarnold.

I am trying to avoid adding to my CSP. I have about $4000 on there. The only cards I have balances on are my Discover and my CSP. 

I do realize there are a lot of factors. I was wondering what cards have had most success with high limits. 

Message 3 of 14
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

Well, Chase is known for giving higher limits once you've had one of their cards. For example, I was approved for a CSP two years ago for 8k. Last year, I applied and was approved for the Explorer at 32k. 

I've had great success with Citi. The Prestige was the first Citi card I held and that was approved for 15.5k. 

Those are just some points. But I would definitely look at your Arrival. That should have a pretty good BT offer. 

Message 4 of 14
Thebrandonlogan

Thanks again! Going to look into it, my only concern is the utilization on my Arrival. 

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Thebrandonlogan wrote:

I have been doing research, and more research, and even more research.

I am looking for a card I have a good chance at getting a high balance on so that I can transfer a balance and save on the interest. Everyone here seems to have much more experience on the subject than I can get from the hundreds of articles on Google. You all have personal experience, so I figure why not ask those who have first hand done this type of thing. So let me paint the picture:

Cards I currently have on my report are...

American Express Premier Rewards Gold - Open <--- Use the Most

American Express EveryDay - $2,000

Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Signature - $4,000

Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa - $700

Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite MasterCard- $7,000

Best Buy MasterCard - $2,200

Best Buy MasterCard - $100 <--- Oldest Card (Was originally just a store card then they made it a Mastercard about a year ago.)

Capital One Quicksilver One MasterCard - $3,000 <--- Second Oldest Card (Was originally Platinum was upgraded.)

Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $13,000 <--- Most Active Credit Card

Citi ThankYou Preferred Visa - $4,250

Discover it - $13,600

I have about $5400 I want to transfer off of my Discover it because of the interest. I was looking at Chase Slate but have read a lot about how it is approved for a small limit a lot of the time, and also I already have a card with Chase, I am not sure if that hurts my chances of getting another high limit.

Any advice on what to do in this instance?

Thanks in advance!

When you say use the most and most active card is that the same? what balances are you carrying and what kind of balance are  you looking to transfer?

Message 6 of 14
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

@Thebrandonlogan wrote:

Thanks again! Going to look into it, my only concern is the utilization on my Arrival. 

No problem! But do remember that Chase is no longer approving those applicants who have opened more than 5 accounts in the last 24 months, regardless of issuer. 

Message 7 of 14
Thebrandonlogan

I use my Amex for anything I would put on my debit card then I just pay the Amex off. Because its a charge card.

My CSP is my most active credit card. So anything that I hold a balance on goes on there. I've had a balance on my Discover for a little bit now and it is down to about $5400. I only carry another balance on my CSP of $4000. That is all I have on my cards right now. 

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Request a credit limit increase on the discover.

What are your scores and inquiries?

I would do a debt shuffle instead of opening another account. If you had a barclaycard Ring or something with no BT fee, you can throw it on that card, and then go to your discover card and transfer it to that for 0 for 12 months.  I would go look at each card and see what BT offers they have.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

honestly look into a card you actually want to have. most cards have 12-18 months of 0% interest anyway but you just pay that one-time 3% payment. getting a $5,400 limit shouldn't be too much issue for you.

side note: save yourself the fee and convert your QS1 to a QS
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.