Senior Contributor

Re: In the Garden, what to do next?

@mowglidude wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@mowglidude wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Welcome 

Told you we'd be here ....Lol

My 1st question is which Amex card are you interested in?

Key indicator as to if you're blacklisted is to app the card you want ....If no HP you're blacklisted ....If HP occurs you stand a chance 

Thats funny..Interested in PRG most likely. Ive read that in other forums about the SP vs HP theory. A) Im going to wait until that one of two CO's left ages off next month and B) Last January, part of my employment was to have an AMEX Card for travel and expenses. I had to apply for the card through AMEX, using my companies code or something. I was approved, through AMEX. Also, there was a HP on Experian around that time back then. So my question is, does the fact AMEX did a HP on the Corp Card possibly mean I am now off the list? Also interested in the WF Propel 365, Marriott Rewards Premier or Barclaycard Arrival Plus. Your thoughts?

Never heard of them pulling for a Corp card (rare) so I would say you really stand a good chance of approval then 

How is the company card setup? The company pays the bill  or do you pay and get reimbursed?

Edit to add

Also interested in the WF Propel 365, Marriott Rewards Premier or Barclaycard Arrival Plus. Your thoughts? Why do you stay at this hotel and Propel I say just plain no not worth it IMHO

My company pays the bill. I submit my expenses through Concur. The corporate card is in my name, no mention of the company on the card. On the statement mailed to my house, the bill is in my name with company name on second line, before the address. I want to start using my own CC for travel. I like Courtyard Marriott, they're everywhere. The WF Propel seems to be a good card for my travel habits lately. Doesnt really matter. I just want to get my score to 800 and have a couple of premium cards. I had Plat AMEX etc back in the day. Now, the AF is way to high for my needs. Lots of good cards with no or low AF's.

That is exactly what I used to do when I traveled a lot internaitonally. I was using my corporate card until I realized I was wasting points. So, I applied for the SPG and started using that. I'm still enjoying the free points

Message 11 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

look at the list in my sig by themanwho can and find out which lender will approve you and do that.  then you will get the best card based on your actual spend. pair that with a signon bonus too.

Message 12 of 42
TrialByFire
Established Contributor

I'm not sure how long their memory is. I had a Home Depot card backed by citi and it CO around 2007-2008. Got back in with Citi last month
Message 13 of 42
mowglidude
Frequent Contributor

@azguy13 wrote:

@mowglidude wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@mowglidude wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Welcome 

Key indicator as to if you're blacklisted is to app the card you want ....If no HP you're blacklisted ....If HP occurs you stand a chance 

Thats funny..Interested in PRG most likely. Ive read that in other forums about the SP vs HP theory. A) Im going to wait until that one of two CO's left ages off next month and B) Last January, part of my employment was to have an AMEX Card for travel and expenses. I had to apply for the card through AMEX, using my companies code or something. I was approved, through AMEX. Also, there was a HP on Experian around that time back then. So my question is, does the fact AMEX did a HP on the Corp Card possibly mean I am now off the list? Also interested in the WF Propel 365, Marriott Rewards Premier or Barclaycard Arrival Plus. Your thoughts?

Never heard of them pulling for a Corp card (rare) so I would say you really stand a good chance of approval then 

How is the company card setup? The company pays the bill  or do you pay and get reimbursed?

Edit to add

Also interested in the WF Propel 365, Marriott Rewards Premier or Barclaycard Arrival Plus. Your thoughts? Why do you stay at this hotel and Propel I say just plain no not worth it IMHO

My company pays the bill. I submit my expenses through Concur. The corporate card is in my name, no mention of the company on the card. On the statement mailed to my house, the bill is in my name with company name on second line, before the address. I want to start using my own CC for travel. I like Courtyard Marriott, they're everywhere. The WF Propel seems to be a good card for my travel habits lately. Doesnt really matter. I just want to get my score to 800 and have a couple of premium cards. I had Plat AMEX etc back in the day. Now, the AF is way to high for my needs. Lots of good cards with no or low AF's.

That is exactly what I used to do when I traveled a lot internaitonally. I was using my corporate card until I realized I was wasting points. So, I applied for the SPG and started using that. I'm still enjoying the free points

I just want a good card or three, but want to make sure I'm approved, or at least be smart where I apply also.

Starting Score: 589/599/598 5/8/14
FICO® Score 8: EX 788 TU 791 EQ 785 05/09/23
Goal: Was 740 across all bureaus. DONE!
Message 14 of 42
mowglidude
Frequent Contributor

@TrialByFire wrote:
I'm not sure how long their memory is. I had a Home Depot card backed by citi and it CO around 2007-2008. Got back in with Citi last month

Oh really? Mine was around the same time and we have about the same scores, cool!

Message 15 of 42
myjourney
Super Contributor

@mowglidude wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@mowglidude wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Welcome 

Edit to add

Does this Amex appear on your CR's?

If Amex appears on your CR's then guess what you've been building history and in that case the SP if denied HP if approved may apply ....of course I have to give you the disclaimer of YMMV with the HP-SP rule Lol

I now understand you choice of Marriott then and say good choice 

Barclay is a so so card good for redemption of travel charges but it too has also been watered down recently 

I also think your plan of waiting just awhile longer until CO's fall off is on point....What's a few more months Smiley Wink

Regrading scores of 800 ....won't get you any better privileges than 750 while good to see 800 its a personal preference 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 16 of 42
mowglidude
Frequent Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@mowglidude wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@mowglidude wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Welcome 

Edit to add

Does this Amex appear on your CR's?

If Amex appears on your CR's then guess what you've been building history and in that case the SP if denied HP if approved may apply ....of course I have to give you the disclaimer of YMMV with the HP-SP rule Lol

I now understand you choice of Marriott then and say good choice 

Barclay is a so so card good for redemption of travel charges but it too has also been watered down recently 

I also think your plan of waiting just awhile longer until CO's fall off is on point....What's a few more months Smiley Wink

Regrading scores of 800 ....won't get you any better privileges than 750 while good to see 800 its a personal preference 

This Corp Card does not appear on my credit bureaus. I am checking almost daily now lol. I have my utilization down to 1% on my three cards and also have my car payment for the last 17 months Paid as agreed. I feel with a HP from AMEX, whether my company guarenteed the card or not, has be some sort of an indicator. I read most people on a company AMEX, get a SP. My credit was also worse back then. Im going to try a CLI on Cap One, SP, to increase in meantime.

Message 17 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mowglidude wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mowglidude wrote:

I noticed many of you have great insight to how and when you apply for your next card and what card to apply for. Excited to learn as much as possible. I never knew the phrase, in the garden, yet thats where I have been for the last five years. I started with a 530 across the board, plenty of baddies, two divorces etc..I started actual rebuilding in 2012 with a WF secured card. Today, I have two more CO's on all bureaus left, one aging off in March 2016. I am currently at 708 EX, 737 EQ and 713 TU. I have two Cap One's, $2500 each and one WF Visa $1500, 1% utilization, $100K income. I may be AMEX blacklisted, its been nine years since CO. What would be your next move? I was thinking WF Propel 365, Marriott Rewards Premier or Barclaycard Arrival Plus. Any help would be appreciated...

Welcome. 

I'm not familiar with WF card but overall I get an underwhelmed feeling based on what I've read re: WF. 

Marriott is issued by Chase. I'm a fan. I don't have that but I have the Ritz-Carlton card to earn Marriott reward points and have Marriott status. I like the other perks it offers and I'll likely keep it for another year (got it last July). Do you frequent Marriotts? That would be the main reason for this card (but also check out Ritz if you travel more in general). 

Arrival + you'll hear folks around here complain about it because of recent changes (lower extra % when redeeming, higher redemption threshold IIRC). I was sure it would be my main non-category spend card when I found it on here, but over time (and after getting the RC and Hyatt cards) I'm finding I'm not staying at my non-chain hotels as much and it's not as useful. It's not bad. I don't really have any complaints, but it's not the OMG!!! I thought when I first found it. Plus, beyond the first year, the AF makes it not worth it even when I WAS using it for most things. 

Do you want a new card for the bonus? Does it matter to you whether it's one you think you'll keep long term? Do you frequent Marriotts (or other chains or airlines specifically)? 

I never heard of the Ritz Carlton card. Is that Chase also? I can earn Marriott Rewards points with that card? I stay mostly at Marriotts for work, unless I travel to Corp office, then its SPG. I want a good/premium card, but also have low 700's or maybe after CO comes off, maybe near 730's. I have good proveable income. I dont want to waste HP's and get denied. The WF Propel 365 AMEX gives me 3 points for gas, 2 points restaraunts. Most of my travel is by car three weeks a month up to 500 miles away, fly once a month. So restaruant and gas focused is cool. Can I get approved? Who knows?

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Comprehensive-Guide-to-Marriott-Ritz-Carlton-Rewards-and-Their/td-p/4100403

jsucool76 is the resident expert on all things marriott (among others) 

Ritz-Carlton card is also Chase. It does have a steep AF ($395?) but you get $300 in airline incedental credits and Gold Marriott status the first year ( and second with $10k spend), among other perks (free nights, Lounge Club) so I think it's a pretty good deal. I think Courtyard may be one of the Marriotts where the status doesn't do as much but worth looking into. 

You mentioned PRG elsewhere. Look around for 50k offer when/if you go for it. It's around sometime. I picked up 50k PRG (mostly using it for restaurants) and an EDP on one pull. I switched all in to MRs from cashback hoping to score some nice travel. I'd thought EDP wouldn't make sense for just gas and groceries (and it likely wouldn't) but with the bonus on all (which I didn't understand initially) it makes sense as our non-category/default card. 1.5 MR>2% cashback if used right, I hear. 

Message 18 of 42
mowglidude
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

look at the list in my sig by themanwho can and find out which lender will approve you and do that.  then you will get the best card based on your actual spend. pair that with a signon bonus too.

Holy moly, thats alot of information. How do I know what scores generally consumers are getting approved for any particular card. Im hoping I will be over 720 across all three when one of my final two CO's ages off in March. I am waiting until then. I guess I should try AMEX first to see if Im blacklisted.

Message 19 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mowglidude wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Holy moly, thats alot of information. How do I know what scores generally consumers are getting approved for any particular card. Im hoping I will be over 720 across all three when one of my final two CO's ages off in March. I am waiting until then. I guess I should try AMEX first to see if Im blacklisted.

google credit pulls database

Message 20 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.