cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In the lender's eyes... PIF or carry a balance?

tag
kroberts67
Established Contributor

In the lender's eyes... PIF or carry a balance?

The question is not how to increase my score, but more to see from the lender's eyes in terms of building a good history for future additional business or to produce the best future CLI's for each card.  

I would think that to PIF across the board each month is best to show reliability etc, but it makes the lender zero money.  What is preferred in the lender's eyes?  PIF? Carry small balance?  Carry larger balance, keeping clear of the limit?  Would the preference differ between prime & subprime, i.e. subprime store cards with higher rates prefer us to carry a balance?

FICO: EQ 814 | TU 847 | EX ? (Started in the low 500's... you can do it!)

Amex BCE $25000, Amex AP $20000, SFFCU Visa $15000 + LOC $5000, USAA Amex $6000, USAA MC $7000, Cap1 $9500, Freedom $12000, Slate $500, Barclays "RIP" SM $11500, USBank Cash+ $12500, Citi Diamond $11200, Citi Double Cash $12000, Care Credit $13500k.
My Credit Repair Journey
Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41
jhutt50
Valued Member

Re: In the lender's eyes... PIF or carry a balance?

The lenders still make money off of the transactions as well, so even if you are paying in full each month they still make money.  Not as much money if you were to carry balances and they charge interest, but they still make money.

Starting Score (Not Sure of Agency) 615 Current Scores EX 720 (FAKO) (02/27/2013) TU 683 (03/04/2013) EQ
Cap One Quicksilver (11/11) - $2500 | Chase Freedom (01/12) - $500 | Discover IT (03/12) - $6000 | AMEX BCP (09/12) - $4000 | US Bank Cash Plus Rewards (09/12) - $5000 | PFCU Rewards (09/12) - $2500 | Citi Diamond Preferred (10/12) - $1800 | Walmart (10/12) - $2000 | Amazon (10/12) - $1700 | Men's Wearhouse (10/12) - $1750 | Kohls (11/12) - $300 | Chase Amazon (12/12) - $2500 | Chase Sapphire (02/13) - $6000 | Barclay Arrival (05/13) - $2500 | Chase Slate (05/13) - $2500
Message 2 of 42
enharu
Super Contributor

I don't think they care if you are carrying a high or low balance. It becomes an issue only when you owe a high amount of debt for your income level. That's when they start to care.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 42
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@kroberts67 wrote:

The question is not how to increase my score, but more to see from the lender's eyes in terms of building a good history for future additional business or to produce the best future CLI's for each card.  

I would think that to PIF across the board each month is best to show reliability etc, but it makes the lender zero money.  What is preferred in the lender's eyes?  PIF? Carry small balance?  Carry larger balance, keeping clear of the limit?  Would the preference differ between prime & subprime, i.e. subprime store cards with higher rates prefer us to carry a balance?

Creditors make money off of swipe fees so if you use the card alot and PIF they're still making money off of you.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 42
Layered
Established Member

NCAB (Never Carry Any Balance)

Message 5 of 42
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@Layered wrote:

NCAB (Never Carry Any Balance)

Except:

a) You are in a 0% interest period

b) you need to!

Message 6 of 42
gsxrgt
New Contributor

I would imagine any lender would prefer a PIF. They probaly make the majority of their money from swipe fees as opposed to interest and someone who always pays in full would be zero risk to them.

Chase Ritz 20.5K, Freedom 11K, Chase Marriott 11K, Citi Prestige 12.5K, Citi Aadvantage Platinum 10.5k, Barclay US Airways 12.5k, Discover IT 12.7K, Amex BCP 23K, Amex PRG, Penfed Platinum Rewards 11K, Penfed PLOC 25k
Message 7 of 42
enharu
Super Contributor

@gsxrgt wrote:

I would imagine any lender would prefer a PIF. They probaly make the majority of their money from swipe fees as opposed to interest and someone who always pays in full would be zero risk to them.

someone who always PIF is zero risk for them until they stop paying in full. So when they do risk assessment it's never zero risk because risk is projected forwards not backwards (although it uses historical data). Lower risk, definitely. Zero risk, no.

As for swipe fees, it depends. This is America we're talking about. I wouldn't be surprised if certain banks (Capital One comes to mind) makes more money from interests than swipe. Amex probably makes more money from swipe than interests, but that's my guess. 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 8 of 42
Rackham94
Established Contributor

Is it bad to let CCs report zero balances even if they are new accs

Message 9 of 42
Layered
Established Member

even if your issuers report $0 balance every month, lenders can still see your payment history.

Message 10 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.