cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In the lender's eyes... PIF or carry a balance?

tag
froggyzsn

Re: In the lender's eyes... PIF or carry a balance?

@blk8 wrote:
Ill give you an inside to what Chase likes to see for CLI on month 6.

1st month lots say you charge $600. 2nd month pay half. 3rd month PIF. 4th month charge again, 5th pay half and 6th PIF.

Once you are at a zero balance, request a CLI.

Blk8,

How do you know this? I'm curious because i recently acquired a Chase Freedom card last month. Thank you.

~Gardening until October, 2013 ~

Starting Score: 663
Current Score: 663
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 21 of 42
blk8
Regular Contributor

I'm an analyst for them in mortgage banking, the CC lending department is on the same floor. We chat all the time. :-)

FICO: EX 662 | EQ 670 | TU 681
Message 22 of 42
BlueNightStar
Regular Contributor

@blk8 wrote:
I'm an analyst for them in mortgage banking, the CC lending department is on the same floor. We chat all the time. :-)

So are you saying that one month out of this rotation will incur interest charges?

Message 23 of 42
froggyzsn

@blk8 wrote:

Nice. I will follow your advice and let you know how it goes... in about 5 months from now haha Smiley Happy

~Gardening until October, 2013 ~

Starting Score: 663
Current Score: 663
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 24 of 42
blk8
Regular Contributor

If you don't have the 0% intro interest promo, then yes.

FICO: EX 662 | EQ 670 | TU 681
Message 25 of 42
Lambo23
Frequent Contributor

Dang!!! I just paid my balance to 0$ before my first statement cut. Smiley Sad ugh
Message 26 of 42
enharu
Super Contributor

i am almost on the verge of maxing out 1 of my chase cards.

i am debating whether to PIF, or to let it report a balance and then PIF. I won't be charged interests in both scenarios. Only thing I am worrying about is that I opened a few other new accounts. I don't want to get FR the moment they see such a high balance, even though I can easily prove to FR dept it's been paid in full once statement cuts.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 27 of 42
BlueNightStar
Regular Contributor

@blk8 wrote:
If you don't have the 0% intro interest promo, then yes.

Okay, thank you. I won't be paying any interest because I spent years with high balances paying many thousands of dollars to Chase and other banks. I do appreciate the info because I am no longer paying most of my CCs before the statement cuts and am now letting balances report so I feel better about doing that anyway.

Message 28 of 42
enharu
Super Contributor

I noticed this.

If you pay your statement in full, and let it report a 0 balance. Minimum payment required is 0.

You can run charges for this new cycle (30 days), and let it report a balance. There will be a minimum payment required, usually within 23-30 days (look at your terms and condition for how long grace period is).

Then pay in full.

So in between every 30 days, you kinda have a 53-60 day interest free period. Not much, but can help a little and at the same time let your accounts report a balance w/o incurring any stupid fees.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 29 of 42
BlueNightStar
Regular Contributor

@enharu wrote:

I noticed this.

If you pay your statement in full, and let it report a 0 balance. Minimum payment required is 0.

You can run charges for this new cycle (30 days), and let it report a balance. There will be a minimum payment required, usually within 23-30 days (look at your terms and condition for how long grace period is).

Then pay in full.

So in between every 30 days, you kinda have a 53-60 day interest free period. Not much, but can help a little and at the same time let your accounts report a balance w/o incurring any stupid fees.

Yes but I think he's talking about extending the first balance beyond the grace period to pay. I'm taking advantage of the float by not PIF before the statement cuts but making sure I pay the prior month's balance by the due date and some of the current month's charges before the statement cuts so I am not paying interest but my utilization on the card is still reasonable.

Edited for clarification.

Message 30 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.