cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In the process of buying my first house.. when is a good time to apply for a new credit card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

In the process of buying my first house.. when is a good time to apply for a new credit card?

Good evening, everyone!

I'm currently in the midst of buying my first house.. I have already submitted the loan application and have gotten back my approval for my amount and interest rate.  At this point, I'm just waiting to find the right house and will lock in my interest rate at that point and sign the appropriate papers.  In the meantime, I'm debating on when the best time will be to apply for a new credit card in hopes to have a larger credit amount and take advantage of the cash back options available, such as the one with Chase Freedom credit card.  My Equifax FICO score has already dropped from 766 to 757 due to the loan app, not sure what my TransUnion FICO is at (was 756), and my Experian FAKO has dropped from 766 to 748.

Should I go ahead and apply for the Chase Freedom Card (and maybe Navy Federal Credit Card) now so that I can utilize the credit card immediately after purchasing the house and taking advantage of the cash back for home repairs, or should I wait until I find the house I want and get a mortgage added to my credit report?  Furthermore, if I do apply for a credit card now, will that hinder my confirmation on interest rate when I lock in on the house?  Or if I wait to get the credit card after I buy the house, how long is the approximate wait on the mortgage being "posted" to my credit reports?

Multiple questions, I know.. sorry!  Please point out anything I might have missed, though.  Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Re: In the process of buying my first house.. when is a good time to apply for a new credit card?

Well, from what I've read it is not a good idea to get any more credit and/or debts if you are looking for a home (unless of course the mortgage person tells you too).  Underwriters do not like to see changes in your credit profile that could get you into trouble later on after they have approved you for a mortgage.  There have been horror stories of couples going out to buy furniture for the house they are about to close on, only to find that the company pulled their credit again prior to closing and since there were unfavorable changes to the report, the loan gets pulled from under them.

Hopefully someone else with more experience with this topic will post, but my suggestion would be to hold tight until after you close, and then apply for other credit.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 2 of 9
DI
Super Contributor

Re: In the process of buying my first house.. when is a good time to apply for a new credit card?

After you closed on the loan.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

My lender told me not to apply for anything until closed because they can deny your loan if they see you are searching for credit.

After my approval on my loan they rechecked again right before closing.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

All lenders now need to comply with the Fannie Mae credit moitoring initiative. New credit inquiries, account balances, and new trade lines are automatically reported during the loan process, triggering automatic new (prior to close) loan conditions. Needless to say: This is a potential minefield! It can result in delays, affect the rate, or worse: result in loan denial! Please remind your clients: NO APPLICATION FOR CREDIT and NO INCREASES IN ACCOUNT BALANCES. (Unfortunately that new fridge or couch will have to wait until after the close!). HOPE THIS HELPS!

Message 5 of 9
jefftca925
Established Contributor

+1  Do NOT apply for ANY credit until you have closed and the loan is funded.  You don't want your scores to have any risk of being lowered.  Lots of folks are having trouble getting loans now and if you've been approved treat it like gold...or platinum... or whatever is hot right now. Smiley Wink  Good luck and happy hunting!!

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

NO!! Do not apply for any other credit while waiting to close on your house. It could cause your mortgage lender to not fund your loan. I was told not to pull my credit for ANYTHING until the closing and loan was final!!!!

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your input, everyone.. I had a feeling this was the answer, but just wanted to make sure.  Smiley Happy

I will wait until after closing to apply for a credit card, then.  Should I wait until after the mortgage loan hits my credit report to apply for a CC, or should I just do it right after since the loan might take a few weeks to post?

Thank you!!

Message 8 of 9
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Re: In the process of buying my first house.. when is a good time to apply for a new credit card

Depending on your current mix of credit and AAoA, the new mortgage will most likely lower your score a little bit (maybe 10-15 points). Keep in mind it usually takes 2-3 months for the account to hit your report (not weeks). The lender will not report to the CRAs until after a couple payments have been received.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.