cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In which order would you app-spree these cards?

tag
primechicken
Contributor

In which order would you app-spree these cards?

Priceline.com Rewards Visa Signature (Barclays)

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa Signature (Citibank)

US Bank Cash+ Visa Signature (US Bank, in-branch only)

Hope this isn't a dumb post. I'm gardening for now, but I've got my eye on these three for next year when some inquiries fall off. I also like to plan obsessively. In all seriousness though, I think responses could be very informative and educational if accompanied by sound explanations as to why one before another. I'm not so much concerned here with debating the merits of these particular cards, although I'm not averse to advice or someone sharing their experience if it's relevant. But the point of the post centers more around (mini) app spree tactics and prioritizing for maximum approvals.

1) I've heard, for example, that it might be wise to apply for Barclays first, because they don't like to see inquiries. But I've also heard that US Bank can be real sticklers too.

2) Moreover, that particular US Bank card requires an in-branch app from what I understand. Should that come before or after online apps?

3) All three of these are Visa Signature cards. Has anyone been approved for multiple VSs at same time? Or does it even matter? (I understand the 5g min and will be CLIing for higher limits on my current cards meantime, FYI.)

Any experience with these cards or knowledge of the underwriting tendencies and policies of each bank is welcome. Please share. I've learned so much from the people on this forum that it's driving my girlfriend nuts: "You're on MyFico again!?"

"Yer darn tootin!"

I got some cards with some credit limits. Some are better than others.
Message 1 of 61
60 REPLIES 60
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: In which order would you app-spree these cards?

I would app:

US Bank

Citi

Priceline

But...your profile doesn't really support a visa signature card. I wouldn't be surprised if you got denied for all three. Be ready for some recon's.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 2 of 61
primechicken
Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

I would app:

US Bank

Citi

Priceline

But...your profile doesn't really support a visa signature card. I wouldn't be surprised if you got denied for all three. Be ready for some recon's.

US Bank first because it's a walk-in? Or just because you'd app them first regardless?

Message 3 of 61
mauwow0682
Frequent Contributor

US bank cash+
Priceline
Hilton

That's my order. However I would go in the order in the cards that you covet most. Based on your spending needs/patterns

Starting Score: 620 FAKO
Current Score: FICO TU 715 (wal-mart) FICO EQ 692
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 61
Dustink
Valued Contributor

I would app them first regardless. They probably have the strictest lending requirements out of the group and you are going to need that clean report for a recon. They also are not very sensative to new accounts.

Barclay's on the other hand does not like to see new accounts. So, if you apped them first. They may change their mind and close your account not long after down the line. Should just be up front with them and show them the INQs. 

Citi isn't a huge deal, put them in the middle. You can app for amex hhonors as well.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 5 of 61
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@primechicken wrote:

Hope this isn't a dumb post. I'm gardening for now, but I've got my eye on these three for next year when some inquiries fall off. I also like to plan obsessively. In all seriousness though, I think responses could be very informative and educational if accompanied by sound explanations as to why one before another. I'm not so much concerned here with debating the merits of these particular cards, although I'm not averse to advice or someone sharing their experience if it's relevant. But the point of the post centers more around (mini) app spree tactics and prioritizing for maximum approvals.

1) I've heard, for example, that it might be wise to apply for Barclays first, because they don't like to see inquiries. But I've also heard that US Bank can be real sticklers too.

2) Moreover, that particular US Bank card requires an in-branch app from what I understand. Should that come before or after online apps?

3) All three of these are Visa Signature cards. Has anyone been approved for multiple VSs at same time? Or does it even matter? (I understand the 5g min and will be CLIing for higher limits on my current cards meantime, FYI.)

Any experience with these cards or knowledge of the underwriting tendencies and policies of each bank is welcome. Please share. I've learned so much from the people on this forum that it's driving my girlfriend nuts: "You're on MyFico again!?"

"Yer darn tootin!"

Hey primechicken!

If I were to app these cards, I'd app the Cash+ first, then the Citi then the Barclays-

US Bank and Citi are mostly EX/EQ pullers.  If you're lucky, you'll get a US pull to EX and Citi will pull EQ

Barcalys is a TU puller with a 2nd pull on EX if borderline.  If they do the 2nd pull EX, less likely if approved for the other 2 for AA because they are already aware of your seeking credit.

I'm betting though that both US Bank and Citi will pull EX thus - 2 pulls to EX with Citi being the 2nd.  (Citi is less inq sensitive then US Bank by a smig)  and a Barclays pull to TU.

That's the way I'd do it... just my thoughts.  (my assumptions are based on you living on the East Coast)  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 6 of 61
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

I would app:

US Bank

Citi

Priceline

@+1 @ Dustink  ^^^^

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 7 of 61
primechicken
Contributor

@improvingmycredit wrote:

@primechicken wrote:

"Yer darn tootin!"

Hey primechicken!

If I were to app these cards, I'd app the Cash+ first, then the Citi then the Barclays-

US Bank and Citi are mostly EX/EQ pullers.  If you're lucky, you'll get a US pull to EX and Citi will pull EQ

Barcalys is a TU puller with a 2nd pull on EX if borderline.  If they do the 2nd pull EX, less likely if approved for the other 2 for AA because they are already aware of your seeking credit.

I'm betting though that both US Bank and Citi will pull EX thus - 2 pulls to EX with Citi being the 2nd.  (Citi is less inq sensitive then US Bank by a smig)  and a Barclays pull to TU.

That's the way I'd do it... just my thoughts.  (my assumptions are based on you living on the East Coast)  Smiley Happy

Thank you! Very informative! I live in Arizona though. Doubt it makes much difference. Apped for Barclays and Citi before. Citi pulled EX and Barclays pulled TU, so you make a lot of sense. I appreciate it.

Message 8 of 61
primechicken
Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

I would app them first regardless. They probably have the strictest lending requirements out of the group and you are going to need that clean report for a recon. They also are not very sensative to new accounts.

Barclay's on the other hand does not like to see new accounts. So, if you apped them first. They may change their mind and close your account not long after down the line. Should just be up front with them and show them the INQs. 

Citi isn't a huge deal, put them in the middle. You can app for amex hhonors as well.

Thank you. This is very helpful. I would have done it the exact reverse order but what you're saying about being up front with Barclays so as not to risk subsequent closure makes good sense. I appreciate you taking the time.

Message 9 of 61
primechicken
Contributor

@mauwow0682 wrote:
US bank cash+
Priceline
Hilton

That's my order. However I would go in the order in the cards that you covet most. Based on your spending needs/patterns

Thanks!

Message 10 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.