cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In which order would you app-spree these cards?

tag
primechicken
Contributor

Re: In which order would you app-spree these cards?

@enharu wrote:

Primechicken,

since you're waiting for a year, i think you will be in good hands.

Go in the order of:

Citi

US Bank Cash+

Barclays.

Only because Citi is pretty much impossible to recon with.

During the meantime try to get CLIs to get your CL near or higher than 5k.

The Priceline visa 2% might be discontinued soon, so time may not be on your side. You might want to take the plunge and risk 1 inquiry now and secure that 2%.

The new offer is 1% everything with 5% priceline.

D'oh! Where did you hear this? Any idea when it will disappear? I know that currently there are like three or four different Priceline terms and rewards setups. Aw man, that's the Barclays too! Any idea how many HPs is too many with them? If they'll keep that 2% till about the first week of September I'll be down to just 3 TU HPs in previous six months at that point. Would that be good enough for Barclays ya think?

I got some cards with some credit limits. Some are better than others.
Message 31 of 61
primechicken
Contributor

@enharu wrote:

Primechicken,

since you're waiting for a year, i think you will be in good hands.

Go in the order of:

Citi

US Bank Cash+

Barclays.

Only because Citi is pretty much impossible to recon with.

During the meantime try to get CLIs to get your CL near or higher than 5k.

The Priceline visa 2% might be discontinued soon, so time may not be on your side. You might want to take the plunge and risk 1 inquiry now and secure that 2%.

The new offer is 1% everything with 5% priceline.

If I put Citi before US Bank, how much impact will it have on US Bank's likelihood to approve? From all the responses so far, I'm inclined to put US Bank before Barclays, and Citi is kinda floating around ready to drop anywhere. I feel kinda nervous though about putting one in front of US Bank and two in front of Barclays. Should I not be?

I got some cards with some credit limits. Some are better than others.
Message 32 of 61
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Are we still talking about 6 mos-1yr? A lot can happen in that time.
Message 33 of 61
enharu
Super Contributor

Citi is really hard to recon.

As for US Bank, I had 9 inquiries in past 12 months when I applied. 6 of them were due to auto loan.

There's no definite answer as to how many inquiries is too many.

For some people it might be 4 in past 12 months. For some it might be 10. For some it might be 15.

It depends on what were your inquiries were due to. If there were due to mortage / auto loans, you can easily explain your way out. If they were all due to credit apps, you might have some difficulty there. It also depends on how long your overall credit history is. Someone with a thick file, provided its free of blemishes, will have more leeway with having more inquiries, as compared to someone with a thin file or someone with blemishes on his file.

@Lexie,

do you travel a lot? the arrival is a nice card too! Smiley Very Happy

The Priceline 2% might be discontinued and it's not confirmed whether people grandfathered in will get to keep the 2% at this point.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 34 of 61
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I think I'm sticking with the Arrival...plus I like the name. Lol

I don't travel a lot about 4-5 times a yr.
Message 35 of 61
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

I am sure you already know this, but an app spree usually refers to applying for several cards at the same time. This is done because it takes a little while for the inquires to hit your various reports and thus the companies involved have no way of knowing at that moment in time that you are applying to more than one company at once. Some even take it to the extreme of having different apps on different browser tabs and clicking send for all within a few seconds. If you take the term "app spree" to refer to this strategy, then the goal is essentially to apply for all three at once. Otherwise the advantage of the spree is squandered. If you are simply refering to applying for 3 credit cards in a row over a few days or weeks, that really doesn't constitute an "app spree" as it is refered to on this forum. Of course the advantages of an app spree only last a few to several hours and after that, the inquires will post to your reports and the advantage of the strategy is gone. Obviously, this doesn't extend to reconning the cards...

Message 36 of 61
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

@Dustink wrote:

But...if you plan to wait a year anyways. You could just app now and hope for the best. If denied, wait that year and try again. If approved, then great. In a year ask for a CLI. The only problem with apping now, is you may get a higher APR. That isn't as easy to change as the limit.

I think it is worth it to app now if you intent to wait a year anyways.

+1   I agree with this. Waiting is overrated and it is worth risking  thecost of an inquiry to get the reward of moving your AAoA forward a year. 

Message 37 of 61
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@dddewdrop wrote:

I am sure you already know this, but an app spree usually refers to applying for several cards at the same time. This is done because it takes a little while for the inquires to hit your various reports and thus the companies involved have no way of knowing at that moment in time that you are applying to more than one company at once. Some even take it to the extreme of having different apps on different browser tabs and clicking send for all within a few seconds. If you take the term "app spree" to refer to this strategy, then the goal is essentially to apply for all three at once. Otherwise the advantage of the spree is squandered. If you are simply refering to applying for 3 credit cards in a row over a few days or weeks, that really doesn't constitute an "app spree" as it is refered to on this forum. Of course the advantages of an app spree only last a few to several hours and after that, the inquires will post to your reports and the advantage of the strategy is gone. Obviously, this doesn't extend to reconning the cards...

Hey dddewdrop1

I'm sorry, but this is absolutely wrong.  Inqs are immediately reported- actually instantaneously.  Typically, individuals app spree because they have weighed the advantages/disadvantages of a lot of inqs and would prefer that they age and fall off at the same time.  And an app spree can be a span of days.   Waiting months between apps is a different story.   But if you have 3 apps or more aging and falling off at the same time, this could and is actually still a still spree... albeit a small one.  Say for example, 3 apps in May of 2013- all the inqs age and stop affecting FICO in 1 year (May 2014) then in 2 years (May2015), they no longer exist on your CR.

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 38 of 61
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@dddewdrop wrote:

@Dustink wrote:

But...if you plan to wait a year anyways. You could just app now and hope for the best. If denied, wait that year and try again. If approved, then great. In a year ask for a CLI. The only problem with apping now, is you may get a higher APR. That isn't as easy to change as the limit.

I think it is worth it to app now if you intent to wait a year anyways.

+1   I agree with this. Waiting is overrated and it is worth risking  thecost of an inquiry to get the reward of moving your AAoA forward a year. 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Agreed, depending on the profile.  There comes a time that one stops rebuilding and starts managing the credit profile.  It's not always one assumption fits all.  In OPs case, with so many inqs, it's best to strategically app to minimize affect to FICO so that if and when the time comes to get the cards that best fits the lifestyle or need of the time, the score is where you need it to be.  OP has great builder cards and a very thin file (age wise) with lots of inqs.  Not always good advice to just go for it.  I think OPs attitude and thought process is a VERY sound strategy.  If these cards are indeed the ones wanted, the file does not support the ability to get them at this time.  However, in possibly 6 months... likely 1 year, the profile will likely be there with the right amount of CLIs and + the added age.  JMHO

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 39 of 61
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

@improvingmycredit wrote:

@dddewdrop wrote:

Hey dddewdrop1

I'm sorry, but this is absolutely wrong.  Inqs are immediately reported- actually instantaneously.  Typically, individuals app spree because they have weighed the advantages/disadvantages of a lot of inqs and would prefer that they age and fall off at the same time.  And an app spree can be a span of days.   Waiting months between apps is a different story.   But if you have 3 apps or more aging and falling off at the same time, this could and is actually still a still spree... albeit a small one.  Say for example, 3 apps in May of 2013- all the inqs age and stop affecting FICO in 1 year (May 2014) then in 2 years (May2015), they no longer exist on your CR.

Are you really sorry or are you just saying that lol. I don't agree with you. I did an app spree and pulled my reports a couple hours later and the inquires hadn't hit yet. As far as an "app spree" I believe it is a question of semantics. So why else in your opinion would individuals open up apps in separate tabs and send them at the same moment? 

Message 40 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.