cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In which order would you app-spree these cards?

tag
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Re: In which order would you app-spree these cards?

@09Lexie wrote:
I think I'm sticking with the Arrival...plus I like the name. Lol

I don't travel a lot about 4-5 times a yr.

Hey 09Lexie!

You'll love the Arrival.  Nothing special about it card wise.. like not made of metal or numbers on the back ... but I do like the 2 pts for ALL purchases and the rewards are instant.  The $400 bonus isn't so bad either for 1K spend.  I like Barclays also.  They gave me a chance when other's wouldn't.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 41 of 61
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

dddewdrop wrote:

improvingmycredit wrote:

dddewdrop wrote:

I am sure you already know this, but an app spree usually refers to applying for several cards at the same time. This is done because it takes a little while for the inquires to hit your various reports and thus the companies involved have no way of knowing at that moment in time that you are applying to more than one company at once. Some even take it to the extreme of having different apps on different browser tabs and clicking send for all within a few seconds. If you take the term "app spree" to refer to this strategy, then the goal is essentially to apply for all three at once. Otherwise the advantage of the spree is squandered. If you are simply refering to applying for 3 credit cards in a row over a few days or weeks, that really doesn't constitute an "app spree" as it is refered to on this forum. Of course the advantages of an app spree only last a few to several hours and after that, the inquires will post to your reports and the advantage of the strategy is gone. Obviously, this doesn't extend to reconning the cards...

Hey dddewdrop1
I'm sorry, but this is absolutely wrong.  Inqs are immediately reported- actually instantaneously.  Typically, individuals app spree because they have weighed the advantages/disadvantages of a lot of inqs and would prefer that they age and fall off at the same time.  And an app spree can be a span of days.   Waiting months between apps is a different story.   But if you have 3 apps or more aging and falling off at the same time, this could and is actually still a still spree... albeit a small one.  Say for example, 3 apps in May of 2013- all the inqs age and stop affecting FICO in 1 year (May 2014) then in 2 years (May2015), they no longer exist on your CR.

Are you really sorry or are you just saying that lol. I don't agree with you. I did an app spree and pulled my reports a couple hours later and the inquires hadn't hit yet. As far as an "app spree" I believe it is a question of semantics. So why else in your opinion would individuals open up apps in separate tabs and send them at the same moment? 

Yes. I am sorry because I do like to keep it friendly when disagreeing and I don't like disagreements. Smiley Happy However... it is absolutely correct. Inqs= Instant report. Because they believe what you beleive. ^^^ and secondly, if it is with the same lender, they are hoping for only 1 HP.
Edit reply- forgot Smiley Happy and addition to statement. Sorry was in a rush this morning.

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 42 of 61
enharu
Super Contributor

inquiries are instantaneous nowadays.........

It might have been different during the days of 56k dialup internet when everyone's internet and computer weren't as fast, but nowadays servers and internet speeds are much faster. 

The mutliple tab trick worked at one point for various things, including bypassing citi 1 app per 30 days rule, but most if not all of these exploits have been patched by now. I'll be the first to admit it. I tried it myself anyhow almost 2 months ago. Chase saw my Amex inquiry regardless. Didn't matter for me anyways since I still got approved for Chase and got declined for Amex instead.

You could feel free to still give it a try though. No harm done trying anyways.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 43 of 61
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@improvingmycredit wrote:
-1@Dustink Smiley Happy
I wouldn't app any right now and just set yourself up for the cards in 6 months to a year. I'd be more focused on getting your limits up higher to better set yourself up.
It would likely end in just new inqs. If however you are set on apping (based on your posts I don't believe this to be the case) I think you have a good chance at the Barclays right now only it probably will end up being the Platnium version. Nice thing about Barclays- you can usually request the CLIs (with a HP always) and get your limits to where you want pretty easily if you handle your account well.

Name a reason not to app now? It is not really an issue if declined, just try again later. It is not like the lenders blacklist somebody from a past denial. Also, issues have different tiers of cards. So, they could counter with something that can be PC'd later on. Thus increasing AAoA later on because in a year it won't be a new app it will be a PC.

How would the app spree affect the outcome of a credit decision 1 year from now. Those INQs will have no affect in a year. The only possible outcome would be possitive in the form of a longer AAoA later on.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 44 of 61
enharu
Super Contributor

This is a problem that seems to be isolated for Barclays.

If you get the platinum version now, it is going to be hard to get converted to the world MC, even if your limit is >5k.

There's a few forum members, one of them stuck with a 8.5k CL platinum, that barclays refuse to convert to world MC. 

So if you get the plat MC, it's either you try to get it converted right away through a CLI, or there's a good chance you'll be stuck as it is until you close the account and re-apply.

Of course, it's YMMV.

There are people, myself included, having problems trying to get it converted to WorldElite MC. I talked to the underwriters myself and it seemed that the system didn't offer that option for me and it kinda looks like I'm stuck with World MC. I'm not complaining though.

And as for inquiries, they have little effect after a year, and absolutely no effect after 2 years. So if you see an extremely good offer now, provided the number of inquiries you already have isn't some crazy astronomical number, then might as well hop onto it.  Other than that patience is key Smiley Happy

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 45 of 61
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Everything you stated is true. It comes down to thought process. I don't agree with your thought process. Just because inqs fall off in a year- that's a long time and a lot can happen. So, just because one can doesn't mean one should. I think that most don't take into account the life happens. Does the OP need the lower tier cards or even want them? I don't think so. Why waste credit credibilty for something not even wanted? The OP asked what recommendation on app order. Not what cards to get in lieu of them. I'm providing info based on this- nothing else. Getting cards you don't want- wasting inqs for cards you don't want on cards likely not approved for- sound advice? Do you not agree also that the OP would likely be approved for all the cards in question in 6-12 months with proper credit management during that time?
Edit: one more note. Inqs won't effect FICO scoring in 1 year but with manual review- inqs could be the difference between approval/non-approval. It's my belief that OP will be borderline for 5K approvals even 12 months from now. Thus- manual review.

Message 46 of 61
primechicken
Contributor

I do appreciate all the discourse so long as it's civil (like it has been). Like I said in OP, I'm more concerned with strategies to minimize the potential negative impacts of any one of the inquiries on the others based on each bank's sensitivities to them and some of the other variables. I wanna get all three cards. And I want the Visa Sigs. I'm inclined to wait out the year (or more) before applying because I see little to no chance of approval on those apps at this time. I need to garden for a bit and let time work for me. AAoA will improve, as will my score. Past inquiries will fall off, have less effect, etc. I love this forum but can't pretend not to notice the impulsive tendencies of many who fail to make time their ally. I get it. Believe me, I get it. I have plenty of inquiries as a result of my own impulsivity. I actually wish I had fewer cards than I do. That being said, I do want a few more that appeal to me for this or that reason and offer some benefits my current cards don't. But I wanna be smart about when and how to get em. And patient. I don't need em right now (although I would like to get that Priceline before the offer disappears!) As it stands, I'm leaning toward the order of:

Citi

US Bank

Priceline (Barclays)

Thanks for all the feedback so far!

I got some cards with some credit limits. Some are better than others.
Message 47 of 61
YahComb
Established Contributor

nobody knows exactly what the cutoff is with barclays.

They were hard on me because of every account opened since the beginning of 2012, not just since 1 year ago. 3 accounts in the last 12 months(1 in the last 6), 3 inquiries in the last 12 months on TU(none in the last 6-they only pulled TU on me). No activity in at all in 2013 on anything when i apped(though theres one inq from citi now on my other 2)

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 48 of 61
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@primechicken
haha- healthy debate is appreciated and welcomed. It's because of these debates that more information and ideas come to the forefront. I am impressed with your last post and applaud your strategic approach to your credit wants and needs. Very well thought out plan. Smiley Happy. Good Luck with it and I hope it works out well for you. I believe it will.

Message 49 of 61
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@improvingmycredit

Thanks, I am leaning toward the Arrival and if the Priceline is losing their 2% then I don't need it just to have 2 Barclay backed cc's
Message 50 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.