Reply
New Contributor
Posts: 128
Registered: ‎03-28-2013
0

In which order would you app-spree these cards?

Priceline.com Rewards Visa Signature (Barclays)

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa Signature (Citibank)

US Bank Cash+ Visa Signature (US Bank, in-branch only)

 

Hope this isn't a dumb post. I'm gardening for now, but I've got my eye on these three for next year when some inquiries fall off. I also like to plan obsessively. In all seriousness though, I think responses could be very informative and educational if accompanied by sound explanations as to why one before another. I'm not so much concerned here with debating the merits of these particular cards, although I'm not averse to advice or someone sharing their experience if it's relevant. But the point of the post centers more around (mini) app spree tactics and prioritizing for maximum approvals.

 

1) I've heard, for example, that it might be wise to apply for Barclays first, because they don't like to see inquiries. But I've also heard that US Bank can be real sticklers too.

 

2) Moreover, that particular US Bank card requires an in-branch app from what I understand. Should that come before or after online apps?

 

3) All three of these are Visa Signature cards. Has anyone been approved for multiple VSs at same time? Or does it even matter? (I understand the 5g min and will be CLIing for higher limits on my current cards meantime, FYI.)

 

Any experience with these cards or knowledge of the underwriting tendencies and policies of each bank is welcome. Please share. I've learned so much from the people on this forum that it's driving my girlfriend nuts: "You're on MyFico again!?"

 

"Yer darn tootin!"

Amex BCE 6k; Amex Hhonors 4k; Quicksilver 3.5k; Chase Freedom 3k; Desert Schools 3k; Bank Americard 1.5k; Discover IT 1k; Sallie Mae 650
Lowe's 9k; Sam's Club 8.5k; Walmart 4k; Chevron 2k
Valued Contributor
Posts: 3,099
Registered: ‎10-02-2012
0

Re: In which order would you app-spree these cards?

[ Edited ]

I would app:

US Bank

Citi

Priceline

 

But...your profile doesn't really support a visa signature card. I wouldn't be surprised if you got denied for all three. Be ready for some recon's.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    


     $17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
New Contributor
Posts: 128
Registered: ‎03-28-2013
0

Re: In which order would you app-spree these cards?


Dustink wrote:

I would app:

US Bank

Citi

Priceline

 

But...your profile doesn't really support a visa signature card. I wouldn't be surprised if you got denied for all three. Be ready for some recon's.


US Bank first because it's a walk-in? Or just because you'd app them first regardless?

Amex BCE 6k; Amex Hhonors 4k; Quicksilver 3.5k; Chase Freedom 3k; Desert Schools 3k; Bank Americard 1.5k; Discover IT 1k; Sallie Mae 650
Lowe's 9k; Sam's Club 8.5k; Walmart 4k; Chevron 2k
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 288
Registered: ‎08-24-2010
0

Re: In which order would you app-spree these cards?

US bank cash+
Priceline
Hilton

That's my order. However I would go in the order in the cards that you covet most. Based on your spending needs/patterns

Starting Score: 620 FAKO
Current Score: FICO TU 715 (wal-mart) FICO EQ 692
Goal Score: 700


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
Posts: 3,099
Registered: ‎10-02-2012
0

Re: In which order would you app-spree these cards?

I would app them first regardless. They probably have the strictest lending requirements out of the group and you are going to need that clean report for a recon. They also are not very sensative to new accounts.

 

Barclay's on the other hand does not like to see new accounts. So, if you apped them first. They may change their mind and close your account not long after down the line. Should just be up front with them and show them the INQs. 

 

Citi isn't a huge deal, put them in the middle. You can app for amex hhonors as well.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    


     $17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Community Leader
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,408
Registered: ‎07-12-2011
0

Re: In which order would you app-spree these cards?


primechicken wrote:

Priceline.com Rewards Visa Signature (Barclays)

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa Signature (Citibank)

US Bank Cash+ Visa Signature (US Bank, in-branch only)

 

Hope this isn't a dumb post. I'm gardening for now, but I've got my eye on these three for next year when some inquiries fall off. I also like to plan obsessively. In all seriousness though, I think responses could be very informative and educational if accompanied by sound explanations as to why one before another. I'm not so much concerned here with debating the merits of these particular cards, although I'm not averse to advice or someone sharing their experience if it's relevant. But the point of the post centers more around (mini) app spree tactics and prioritizing for maximum approvals.

 

1) I've heard, for example, that it might be wise to apply for Barclays first, because they don't like to see inquiries. But I've also heard that US Bank can be real sticklers too.

 

2) Moreover, that particular US Bank card requires an in-branch app from what I understand. Should that come before or after online apps?

 

3) All three of these are Visa Signature cards. Has anyone been approved for multiple VSs at same time? Or does it even matter? (I understand the 5g min and will be CLIing for higher limits on my current cards meantime, FYI.)

 

Any experience with these cards or knowledge of the underwriting tendencies and policies of each bank is welcome. Please share. I've learned so much from the people on this forum that it's driving my girlfriend nuts: "You're on MyFico again!?"

 

"Yer darn tootin!"


Hey primechicken!

If I were to app these cards, I'd app the Cash+ first, then the Citi then the Barclays-

US Bank and Citi are mostly EX/EQ pullers.  If you're lucky, you'll get a US pull to EX and Citi will pull EQ

Barcalys is a TU puller with a 2nd pull on EX if borderline.  If they do the 2nd pull EX, less likely if approved for the other 2 for AA because they are already aware of your seeking credit.

I'm betting though that both US Bank and Citi will pull EX thus - 2 pulls to EX with Citi being the 2nd.  (Citi is less inq sensitive then US Bank by a smig)  and a Barclays pull to TU.

That's the way I'd do it... just my thoughts.  (my assumptions are based on you living on the East Coast)  Smiley Happy

 


Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSP 20.5K, TotalRewards 20.5K, QuickSilver 20K

Community Leader
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,408
Registered: ‎07-12-2011
0

Re: In which order would you app-spree these cards?


Dustink wrote:

I would app:

US Bank

Citi

Priceline

 

But...your profile doesn't really support a visa signature card. I wouldn't be surprised if you got denied for all three. Be ready for some recon's.


+1 @ Dustink  ^^^^

 


Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSP 20.5K, TotalRewards 20.5K, QuickSilver 20K

New Contributor
Posts: 128
Registered: ‎03-28-2013
0

Re: In which order would you app-spree these cards?


improvingmycredit wrote:

primechicken wrote:

Priceline.com Rewards Visa Signature (Barclays)

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa Signature (Citibank)

US Bank Cash+ Visa Signature (US Bank, in-branch only)

 

Hope this isn't a dumb post. I'm gardening for now, but I've got my eye on these three for next year when some inquiries fall off. I also like to plan obsessively. In all seriousness though, I think responses could be very informative and educational if accompanied by sound explanations as to why one before another. I'm not so much concerned here with debating the merits of these particular cards, although I'm not averse to advice or someone sharing their experience if it's relevant. But the point of the post centers more around (mini) app spree tactics and prioritizing for maximum approvals.

 

1) I've heard, for example, that it might be wise to apply for Barclays first, because they don't like to see inquiries. But I've also heard that US Bank can be real sticklers too.

 

2) Moreover, that particular US Bank card requires an in-branch app from what I understand. Should that come before or after online apps?

 

3) All three of these are Visa Signature cards. Has anyone been approved for multiple VSs at same time? Or does it even matter? (I understand the 5g min and will be CLIing for higher limits on my current cards meantime, FYI.)

 

Any experience with these cards or knowledge of the underwriting tendencies and policies of each bank is welcome. Please share. I've learned so much from the people on this forum that it's driving my girlfriend nuts: "You're on MyFico again!?"

 

"Yer darn tootin!"


Hey primechicken!

If I were to app these cards, I'd app the Cash+ first, then the Citi then the Barclays-

US Bank and Citi are mostly EX/EQ pullers.  If you're lucky, you'll get a US pull to EX and Citi will pull EQ

Barcalys is a TU puller with a 2nd pull on EX if borderline.  If they do the 2nd pull EX, less likely if approved for the other 2 for AA because they are already aware of your seeking credit.

I'm betting though that both US Bank and Citi will pull EX thus - 2 pulls to EX with Citi being the 2nd.  (Citi is less inq sensitive then US Bank by a smig)  and a Barclays pull to TU.

That's the way I'd do it... just my thoughts.  (my assumptions are based on you living on the East Coast)  Smiley Happy

 


Thank you! Very informative! I live in Arizona though. Doubt it makes much difference. Apped for Barclays and Citi before. Citi pulled EX and Barclays pulled TU, so you make a lot of sense. I appreciate it.

Amex BCE 6k; Amex Hhonors 4k; Quicksilver 3.5k; Chase Freedom 3k; Desert Schools 3k; Bank Americard 1.5k; Discover IT 1k; Sallie Mae 650
Lowe's 9k; Sam's Club 8.5k; Walmart 4k; Chevron 2k
New Contributor
Posts: 128
Registered: ‎03-28-2013
0

Re: In which order would you app-spree these cards?


Dustink wrote:

I would app them first regardless. They probably have the strictest lending requirements out of the group and you are going to need that clean report for a recon. They also are not very sensative to new accounts.

 

Barclay's on the other hand does not like to see new accounts. So, if you apped them first. They may change their mind and close your account not long after down the line. Should just be up front with them and show them the INQs. 

 

Citi isn't a huge deal, put them in the middle. You can app for amex hhonors as well.


Thank you. This is very helpful. I would have done it the exact reverse order but what you're saying about being up front with Barclays so as not to risk subsequent closure makes good sense. I appreciate you taking the time.

Amex BCE 6k; Amex Hhonors 4k; Quicksilver 3.5k; Chase Freedom 3k; Desert Schools 3k; Bank Americard 1.5k; Discover IT 1k; Sallie Mae 650
Lowe's 9k; Sam's Club 8.5k; Walmart 4k; Chevron 2k
New Contributor
Posts: 128
Registered: ‎03-28-2013
0

Re: In which order would you app-spree these cards?


mauwow0682 wrote:
US bank cash+
Priceline
Hilton

That's my order. However I would go in the order in the cards that you covet most. Based on your spending needs/patterns

Thanks!

Amex BCE 6k; Amex Hhonors 4k; Quicksilver 3.5k; Chase Freedom 3k; Desert Schools 3k; Bank Americard 1.5k; Discover IT 1k; Sallie Mae 650
Lowe's 9k; Sam's Club 8.5k; Walmart 4k; Chevron 2k
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.