cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Income Increase, Should I Request Early CLI?

tag
YoungMoney06
Frequent Contributor

Income Increase, Should I Request Early CLI?

I just applied for five new cards back in February, all which have cut at least two statement thus far.

I also just accepted a new job position in which I start Monday. As a result, my annual income is increasing by almost $8k a year. With this new increase, should I request a CLI on my cards early or should I wait the necessary time for each respective cards?
My Wallet (Updated Sept 2023):
Store Cards:

Major Cards:

In Timeout:

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Income Increase, Should I Request Early CLI?

Waiting is probably best. Also, it depends on how much of an increase 8k is for you. If you went from 250k - > 258k then forget it. However, if you went from 20k - > 28k then it probably would help a decent amount.

Message 2 of 7
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

I'd advocate waiting.

At the very least, wait until you get a pay stub or two, but more practically, unless you "need" the CLI I wouldn't rush it. If you decide not to garden and go for a new card, by all means specify the new salary/income, but you're okay waiting for now I think. 

12/29/2015 669/696/706
01/10/2016 698/711/730 but still to and fro a bit

Climbing to 700 and beyond. It's too cold for gardening.
Message 3 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

income is over rated for what it does especially for approved cards and getting CLI's

it won't make a bit of difference in my opinion and you won't get early CLI becasue of it, especially with so many being done by a computer these days or possibly SP if you didn't push to fast but most likely would be HP now because of it being early.

citi, discover, chase come to mind.

ge just needs to be 4 statements unless maybe through credit solutions.

Message 4 of 7
revvystoke
Frequent Contributor

Didn't make much of a difference for me, they were more concerned about how my credit profile looked vs income.

AkAir $50k | Marriott $65k | Local CU $8k
TU: 770 / EQ: 748 / EX: 769
Message 5 of 7
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@YoungMoney06 wrote:
I just applied for five new cards back in February, all which have cut at least two statement thus far.

I also just accepted a new job position in which I start Monday. As a result, my annual income is increasing by almost $8k a year. With this new increase, should I request a CLI on my cards early or should I wait the necessary time for each respective cards?

No, but I'd update your info with the CCCs, in case they decide to auto CLI. 

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 6 of 7
Jlu
Established Contributor

Congrats on your raise.

Unfortunately your creditors could care less. It's all comes down to DTI (debt-to-income). For example, some clients I've met in my particular career are making $100k per month and are up to their eyeballs in debt with mortgages on 2 houses, 3 vacations homes, 5 open auto loans, over $50k in revolving debt, etc. Whereas the individual making $3k per month with $500/month rent obligations and $200/month auto loan will qualify for a lower rate than the superstar making over a million dollars per year.

It doesn't necessarily matter what you make, it's your ability to meet your monthly financial obligations. Most banks like to see a DTI of 35% or less. 

And no, don't take HP's for CLI's because you got an $8k raise. Unless you land a job that takes you from $30k per year to $80k per year it's not going to matter.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.