Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Income Question

tag
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Income Question

Currently my income is listed at $36K with 0 housing payment. I plan on moving but I would hate to have a housing payment but my income not budge. If my boyfriend moves in with me will I be able to include his income on CC and loan apps? He makes about $50K so the combined income would be about $86K with a housing of $585-$650. Is this allowed?
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Income Question

it's typically household income they want so yeah
Message 2 of 25
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

I would tend to disagree, but everyone has different opinions.. I have a roommate that lives with me  a few days a week, he makes 200k/yr...  should I include his income..  Don't think so or I would have one hell of an income!  I tend to think if you file together then it can be counted otherwise no.. Obviously people know banks don't typicaly verify income so ya, make you own call on that one...  Just keep in mind if they ever verify it such as Amex expect for your account to get closed if you can't prove it, other lenders may act differently.

Message 3 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

technically when you apply most places ask for "household" income. because it's income you have access to if need be. granted i WOULDN'T include income of someone that i am not in an intimate relationship with but hell if you wanted to include it captool you could. as long as when they verify income it's verifiable and the address matches hours
Message 4 of 25
kdm31091
Super Contributor

It can get into kinda a gray area IMO.

I have a roommate who makes more than I do. I never, ever include his income on my apps. I do include the rent money he gives me as part of my income, but I do not add his actual income to my income. It's meant to be income you can "reasonably access" and I can't expect to access his income to pay my bills, outside of the rent money he gives me. So I'd really be cheating, at least in my opinion.

Now, a boyfriend is a different story, but to me, it's best to just get a card with your own income listed and not inflate anything. YMMV.

Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

http://thepointsguy.com/2015/03/can-i-use-my-household-income-on-a-credit-card-application/

i always just use mine even when i was married but here's a vid
Message 6 of 25
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

I would tend to think a boyfriend/girlfriend income would actually be less reliable than a normal roommate even if intimate as most relationships come to an end at sometime another and a split is going to happen, well that is true living with a roommate as well, I won't aways live with him..  I for sure would be mad at my GF if I ever let her move in claimed my income as hers as I sure and the heck am not going to pay her bills unless we are engaged or getting married.  Anyways it is a very gray area so use your judgement, I personally wouldn't

Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah i wouldn't either but you technically can. it's weird lol.
Message 8 of 25
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

She can pay her own bills, not like I dont buy her every dinner out we go to, drinks, trips etc (when I am dating someone)...lol least she can do is use her own income on a cc application Smiley Happy.

Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

you just buy her dinner for the points/cash back.. don't lie... lol Smiley Wink
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.