cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Income Verification for Capital One Cash Rewards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Income Verification for Capital One Cash Rewards?

I've been looking for a new CC to apply for and found the Capital One Cash Rewards card would be good for my credit type/situation. I applied late last night and wasn't instantly approved, so I called them this morning (using the backdoor number on this site). They asked me about my income, then told me I need to verify *my* income... not my husband's. I have a fax number and reference number to send them.

I used my household income for the application and I'm wondering if I may have accidentally screwed myself by doing that? My husband is the one working, while I go to school. My income is in the grant money I receive from school, although I didn't add that to our yearly income. Is that going to be sufficient? I already have a CC and car loan through them, and the car lot used my grant money as part of our income (their idea). They used my award letter to verify it then.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Re: Income Verification for Capital One Cash Rewards?

Because of the Card act, you can no longer use a spouse's income when applying for credit. You should be able to use your grants, but you may want to include an explanation about the difference between what you listed on the application and what you can verify. Otherwise, it looks fraudulent.
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 2 of 9
2NE1
Established Contributor

Just wondering, did they ask you for monthly paystubs? or last year's W2?
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info! I guess I always just assumed income = household income. I'll be sure to clarify with them why the difference when I send stuff in.

@ 2NE1 - they didn't ask for a specific type of income verification. They just said that I need to verify my income, then they provided me the fax and reference numbers to use to do so.

Message 4 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:
Because of the Card act, you can no longer use a spouse's income when applying for credit. You should be able to use your grants, but you may want to include an explanation about the difference between what you listed on the application and what you can verify. Otherwise, it looks fraudulent.

I didn't think that was true because it was discriminating stay at home parents and such.

I can't think of it right now but I recently applied for something and it told me to use "ALL SOURCES" when stating my income in the house.

I think the income thing is stupid... What I made today might not be what I make tomorrow... now I understand a little bit then when it came to realestate and cars many years ago they would inflate your income into hundreds of thousands a month if they had to make the DTI come out.... but I don't think "Fudging" the income numbers really did that much to credit cards, credit lines, and defaults.... I mean how long has it been now that a 80 yo told Citi ON the application that he made $4k a year I believe it was and they gave him a $18k credit line or something.... I forget who sued who but I don't think Citi came out of it rosie.  I mean once you pass that area where some companies computers kick it out (I have seen $12k/year)  I really dont' think it weighs to much on the income from that point... you have an 800 score Im not betting if you have other credit that you are not going to get more!

Message 5 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

I didn't think that was true because it was discriminating stay at home parents and such.

I can't think of it right now but I recently applied for something and it told me to use "ALL SOURCES" when stating my income in the house.

I think the income thing is stupid... What I made today might not be what I make tomorrow... now I understand a little bit then when it came to realestate and cars many years ago they would inflate your income into hundreds of thousands a month if they had to make the DTI come out.... but I don't think "Fudging" the income numbers really did that much to credit cards, credit lines, and defaults.... I mean how long has it been now that a 80 yo told Citi ON the application that he made $4k a year I believe it was and they gave him a $18k credit line or something.... I forget who sued who but I don't think Citi came out of it rosie.  I mean once you pass that area where some companies computers kick it out (I have seen $12k/year)  I really dont' think it weighs to much on the income from that point... you have an 800 score Im not betting if you have other credit that you are not going to get more!

Dunno senor.  When I make 130k or more per year, I'm more likely to be able to repay a maxxed out credit limit of call it 25K than if I make the 50K I'm willing accept now to make rent over the next few months as a short-term solution.

Also all lenders make some fee off the transaction (part goes to Visa / MC / Amex, only exception being Discover and Amex-issued cards where Disc/Amex make both sides of the transaction fee) and as a general rule higher incomes spend more and have more transactions as a whole.  Consumer profitiability is definitely a factor in CL issuance.

You figure there's got to be some other details too, like people making over 80K, single, and under 40 are more likely to let a CC balance float past the grace period, thereby earning interest charges, and this number is probably even higher for people making over 120K and under 30.  It's not exactly discrimination per se, but it's all things they calculate in their risk / profitability determination which definitely factors into what credit limits are offered.  Also assets and life expectancy come into play too: if that 80 year old owns a 500K property free and clear, even if he defaults so what?  Even including penalties, when it comes to the estate transfer for inheritance, the lender will just be there waving a judgement around and get paid.

Ideally a CL is issued such that it can be maxxed out and still repaid without defaulting.  This of course changes with the aggregate economy, and a lender's total exposure vs. their reserves.  CL's as a result appear to be determined by a Oujia board sometimes, but there's always some rationale by the lender on it. 

        
Message 6 of 9
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

At present, the frb interpretation still stands and you cannot use household income. Congress is currently considering revising the card act for the reason you state, but nothing has passed yet. Here is an article from yesterday: http://www.wvmetronews.com/news.cfm?func=displayfullstory&storyid=53131
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 7 of 9
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Not for nothing, but that story reads like lip service. Smiley Happy Things like this are too well planned for unintended consequences, LOL!

On some level, we all know they wanted to reduce the risk for banks, and other lenders, in non-community property states.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 9
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Cdnewmanpac wrote:

At present, the frb interpretation still stands and you cannot use household income. Congress is currently considering revising the card act for the reason you state, but nothing has passed yet. Here is an article from yesterday: http://www.wvmetronews.com/news.cfm?func=displayfullstory&storyid=53131

Interesting article, thanks for the link.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.