Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Income question

tag
Tomgon1981
Frequent Contributor

Income question

I like to round my income up to the nearest $5000 let's say my income is $62,345 and I round my income upto $65,000 is that frowned upon when stating income on new apps or cli
Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Income question

Technically, any "rounding" is falsification to a degree and if asked for income verification you could be in trouble. Unlikely, but it does happem. Obviously an exact 62,345 can probably be rounded to 62500. But rounding a few thousand may bite you later. Or nothing may happen. But you do take the chance.
Message 2 of 35
Tomgon1981
Frequent Contributor

Well the reason I do ithink is over time bonuses etc.
Message 3 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

So your factoring in guaranteed bonuses or bonuses you may not receive? I prefer to round down. Income is a little over $54,000, I put $54,000. If they say additional income is ok I'll put $63,000 although its over that amount.

idk if your method would be frowned upon but Id rather not take the chance for a couple extra thousand.
Message 4 of 35
Tomgon1981
Frequent Contributor

Ok thanks guys I hope it doesn't ever come back on me I'll start rounding closer to my income
Message 5 of 35
TekkenQQ7
Established Contributor

@Tomgon1981 wrote:
Ok thanks guys I hope it doesn't ever come back on me I'll start rounding closer to my income

Try to lower your income just in case they FR you will be surprise by increasing your limit without asking

Message 6 of 35
barthooper
Frequent Contributor

It's worth noting that if you're over 21 you can include income you have access to, such as a spouse's income. I'm not sure if it is only limited to spouse income, however, and doing this to seem more creditworthy might not be the best idea, but it works for stay at home parents. Apparently anyone can do it but it is on you if they ask for income verification and you can't provide proof because you lied on the app.

Quicksilver - 16k | Discover It - 34k | Citi DC - $21k | Chase Amazon - 8k | Chase Reserve - 19.5k | Chase Preferred - 5k | EX FICO (Discover CSC) 788
Message 7 of 35
Cmikul
Regular Contributor

@barthooper wrote:

It's worth noting that if you're over 21 you can include income you have access to, such as a spouse's income. I'm not sure if it is only limited to spouse income, however, and doing this to seem more creditworthy might not be the best idea, but it works for stay at home parents. Apparently anyone can do it but it is on you if they ask for income verification and you can't provide proof because you lied on the app.

I understand the idea here but not sure that actually goes over well with the CCC.

I would think while you might have access to funds you can't prove that YOU can use them to pay YOUR bill.....so really all you can do is count on your own funds.

For instance...DW and I work together....paychecks come from same company....go to same acct.

I could realistically overstate my income by including her's in my application.....and be able to prove that the money does indeed go to my acct.

But.........my check stubs and tax statements during a FR would show that is indeed not MINE>

and I'm sure the bank would more than frown on this type of blatent overstatement of income.

But dang....it sure would be fun to see what kind of SL's I could get with that.

Message 8 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cmikul wrote:

@barthooper wrote:

I understand the idea here but not sure that actually goes over well with the CCC.

I would think while you might have access to funds you can't prove that YOU can use them to pay YOUR bill.....so really all you can do is count on your own funds.

For instance...DW and I work together....paychecks come from same company....go to same acct.

I could realistically overstate my income by including her's in my application.....and be able to prove that the money does indeed go to my acct.

But.........my check stubs and tax statements during a FR would show that is indeed not MINE>

and I'm sure the bank would more than frown on this type of blatent overstatement of income.

But dang....it sure would be fun to see what kind of SL's I could get with that.

Barthooper is right, it does state on certain applications and when you request for a CLI that you can include the income of another person if you're at least 21 years old and it's readily available for use. 

When it states that I do include my significant other's income combined with mine, because if they were to ask me to provide income verification I could for both of us no.  It doesn't hurt imo as long as it clearly states that you can do it.

Message 9 of 35
Cmikul
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Cmikul wrote:

@barthooper wrote:

I may be mistaken, but I think it does say on certain applications or when you request for a CLI that you can include readily available income of another person if it's at your disposal and you're the age of 21 or older.  When it gives me that option I do put in my significant other's income combined with mine since it clearly states that I can do it, because if they were to ask me to provide income verification I could for both of us no problem.  It doesn't hurt imo as long as it says you can include it.

Are you daring me to app....just to find out....because I'll do it....I'm nuts like that....you wanna find out....I'll pull the trigger now.

J/K.....but I will pay attention to that verbiage next time and I will put it in there if I can....I hope I can.

you know thinking about this makes a good point.....because my spending habits thru my CC's would not easily be explained by my income alone.

I pay for everything.....DW makes maybe 2 swipes a week.  I make about 50 swipes a week.  If a CCC were to look at my income only it would trigger a FR.

Message 10 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.