Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Income to Credit Ratio

tag
ArchEagleJ
Established Member

Income to Credit Ratio

Is there a certain ratio that once your available credit reaches in regards to your income that creditors will then stop extending credit?

Like say you have 25,000 annual income, is there a certain amount of credit limit that you can get and then after that point you would not be able to get anymore unless your income went up?

Thanks! Just curious

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7/25/09 -- EQ 651 ; TU 634 ; EX: ??

2/22/10 -- EQ 652; TU 657; Ex: ??
Shootin' for 700!!!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: Income to Credit Ratio

@ArchEagleJ wrote:

Is there a certain ratio that once your available credit reaches in regards to your income that creditors will then stop extending credit?

Like say you have 25,000 annual income, is there a certain amount of credit limit that you can get and then after that point you would not be able to get anymore unless your income went up?

Thanks! Just curious

Many issuers have DTI and available credit to income limits. There just isn't anyway of knowing what the are unless you are denied credit for "sufficient credit for income" reasons. Even that is a slippery slope. The first time I asked BofA for a CLI I was denied for such a reason. The second time (with exactly the same income stated) I was granted a $4K CLI.
Message 2 of 3
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Income to Credit Ratio

I have $131K in total credit limits. My highest CL card has a $27K limit, and it could be higher, except that I wanted to have $10K on a different card from the same bank.

My personal income is around $65-70K; HHI is around $145K.

No one has ever denied me credit for having too much available credit or for insufficient income.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.