Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Income vs available credit

tag
drsmith
Frequent Contributor

Income vs available credit

At what point, if any, do you think credit card companies start to question why you're asking for more credit?

For example, I'm currently at about 66% of my total income in available credit. I obviously have no use for so much, but there are still more cards I'd like to apply for. 

Has this ever been an issue for any of you? 

Starting Score: 703
Current Score: EQ 820 4/11/16
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
jausanka
Frequent Contributor

Re: Income vs available credit

No. My available credit is roughly twice my pretax income.
Message 2 of 33
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@drsmith wrote:

At what point, if any, do you think credit card companies start to question why you're asking for more credit?

For example, I'm currently at about 66% of my total income in available credit. I obviously have no use for so much, but there are still more cards I'd like to apply for. 

Has this ever been an issue for any of you? 

I don't think it is for alot of people.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 33
namvet
Established Contributor

Never been a issue for me in 41 years of history.

Message 4 of 33
CS800
Super Contributor

That's good to know

Message 5 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Right now my available credit is 97.8% of my post-tax income.  I just got approved for 2 new cards (taking me to that 97.8% number).  I don't think it's a problem, though I do think it has been preventing me from getting a CLI with AMEX.

Message 6 of 33
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Right now my available credit is 97.8% of my post-tax income.  I just got approved for 2 new cards (taking me to that 97.8% number).  I don't think it's a problem, though I do think it has been preventing me from getting a CLI with AMEX.

Have you tried and they denied you?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LS2982 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Have you tried and they denied you?

Yes, twice.  Once at ~70 days, then once 90+ days later. 

Message 8 of 33
smc733
Valued Contributor

My current available credit is roughly 180% of my pre-tax income, never gotten a question.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 9 of 33
CS800
Super Contributor

I'd be happy if I can get my available credit at 50% of my income

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.