Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Reply
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 392
Registered: ‎11-27-2010
0

Income vs available credit

At what point, if any, do you think credit card companies start to question why you're asking for more credit?

 

For example, I'm currently at about 66% of my total income in available credit. I obviously have no use for so much, but there are still more cards I'd like to apply for. 

 

Has this ever been an issue for any of you? 


Starting Score: 703
Current Score: EQ 820 4/11/16
Goal Score: 800


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 483
Registered: ‎05-06-2009
0

Re: Income vs available credit

No. My available credit is roughly twice my pretax income.
Mega Contributor
Posts: 15,453
Registered: ‎04-09-2011
0

Re: Income vs available credit


drsmith wrote:

At what point, if any, do you think credit card companies start to question why you're asking for more credit?

 

For example, I'm currently at about 66% of my total income in available credit. I obviously have no use for so much, but there are still more cards I'd like to apply for. 

 

Has this ever been an issue for any of you? 


I don't think it is for alot of people.




EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Established Contributor
Posts: 866
Registered: ‎09-22-2011
0

Re: Income vs available credit

Never been a issue for me in 41 years of history.

Super Contributor
Posts: 6,677
Registered: ‎04-07-2008
0

Re: Income vs available credit

That's good to know



Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,486
Registered: ‎08-14-2011
0

Re: Income vs available credit

Right now my available credit is 97.8% of my post-tax income.  I just got approved for 2 new cards (taking me to that 97.8% number).  I don't think it's a problem, though I do think it has been preventing me from getting a CLI with AMEX.

In My Wallet:
AMEX BCE, Citi Forward, Chase Freedom

In My Sockdrawer:
AMEX Clear, Citi Platinum Select, US Bank Platinum, J.Crew
Mega Contributor
Posts: 15,453
Registered: ‎04-09-2011
0

Re: Income vs available credit


ptr2593 wrote:

Right now my available credit is 97.8% of my post-tax income.  I just got approved for 2 new cards (taking me to that 97.8% number).  I don't think it's a problem, though I do think it has been preventing me from getting a CLI with AMEX.


Have you tried and they denied you?




EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,486
Registered: ‎08-14-2011
0

Re: Income vs available credit


LS2982 wrote:

ptr2593 wrote:

Right now my available credit is 97.8% of my post-tax income.  I just got approved for 2 new cards (taking me to that 97.8% number).  I don't think it's a problem, though I do think it has been preventing me from getting a CLI with AMEX.


Have you tried and they denied you?



 

Yes, twice.  Once at ~70 days, then once 90+ days later. 

In My Wallet:
AMEX BCE, Citi Forward, Chase Freedom

In My Sockdrawer:
AMEX Clear, Citi Platinum Select, US Bank Platinum, J.Crew
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,296
Registered: ‎05-13-2010
0

Re: Income vs available credit

My current available credit is roughly 180% of my pre-tax income, never gotten a question.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $15k | Amex BCE - $25k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k | Discover it - $45.5k
Super Contributor
Posts: 6,677
Registered: ‎04-07-2008
0

Re: Income vs available credit

I'd be happy if I can get my available credit at 50% of my income



Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.