Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrectly charged interest?

tag
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

Incorrectly charged interest?

I'm trying to figure out if I was incorrectly charged interest on my CC.  Typically I pay off the entire balance but this time I paid off the balance that was on the statement.  I was surprised to see an interest charge despite this.  Shouldn't paying off the statement balance mean that I am avoiding interest.  If not, is there an easy way to figure out what I would need to pay each month to avoid interest short of paying the entire balance?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: Incorrectly charged interest?

@EaglesFan2006 wrote:

I'm trying to figure out if I was incorrectly charged interest on my CC.  Typically I pay off the entire balance but this time I paid off the balance that was on the statement.  I was surprised to see an interest charge despite this.  Shouldn't paying off the statement balance mean that I am avoiding interest.  If not, is there an easy way to figure out what I would need to pay each month to avoid interest short of paying the entire balance?

Generally for cards with grace period, If you pay the full statement balance by due date, interest will be waived. 

Be aware if you owe interest, it can take 2 cycles of PIF to get out of owing interest.  

So it sounds like you should not owe any, but specific might help us understand better. .     

Message 2 of 4
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Also, did you do anything like a cash advance?  Interest for that starts accruing immediately.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
IOBA
Senior Contributor

EaglesFan2006 - which cc was this?

Many cc's now calculate the daily average to figure out interest.   So maybe the overlap between payment due date and the statement cycle allowed a small window of interest to be called.

Call up your cc.   Tell them you are confused about why you were charged interest and ask if they will give you a goodwill credit.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.