Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increase Credit Limit

tag
xiownthisplacex
Frequent Contributor

Increase Credit Limit

If I ask to raise my CC limit, will it be considered a hard inquiry on my credit?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
thebanjoman
Contributor

Re: Increase Credit Limit

It varies from lender to lender.  Some, like Chase, almost always do a hard pull for a customer initiated CLI.  others, do CLIs based on soft pulls.  Call 'em up and ask.

Message 2 of 11
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Yes, call them and ask.  But also, you should generally be prepared for the possibility that it will be a hard pull if you are going to do it.  CSRs don't always know what they are talking about.  There are lots of instances of people being told it would be a soft and then they end up with a hard pull.  So I tend not to ask for a CLI unless I am prepared for a hard inquiry.  I consider it a bonus when it is a soft.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does your card have an automated system online that will give you an instant answer? My Citi card did and the one time I asked for a CLI the automated system only did a soft pull. If its automated and it was soft once it is a good bet it normally is!

Message 4 of 11
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Does your card have an automated system online that will give you an instant answer? My Citi card did and the one time I asked for a CLI the automated system only did a soft pull. If its automated and it was soft once it is a good bet it normally is!

To clarify, I agree with this.  I agree that it is worthwhile asking here and that there are lenders for which  you can get a pretty good idea.  Main point was that frontline CSRs often don't understand the ins and outs of credit scoring nearly as well as people on these boards.  So you may ask a lender whether they do a hard pull or soft and be told soft only to then see a hard inquiry on your reports.  The CSR isnt' lying to you.  They just don't know, are poorly trained, etc.  So if there's any doubt, it's a good practice in my opinion to assume it will be a hard.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 11
JonStur
Established Contributor

Have to agree with Walt_K.. It seems like most of the time a customer initiated CLI is hard pull especially with bank cards, it seems Dept Store cards soft more.. I could
Be wrong tho....

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 6 of 11
xiownthisplacex
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the help everyone!

I currently have a Capital One Rewards card, but only with a $500, so I want to increase it in order to keep my ratio down. I have a secured card with them for a while and never missed a payment, so i don't know why they only gave me a $500 on this one.

On a side note, I have 7 inquiries since 1-1-11, should I risk asking for a limit raise?

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

definitely not worth it.  2-3 INQ a year max if you can help it.  unless they can confirm it will be a soft pull and not a hard pull.

Message 8 of 11
SevenNEW
Established Contributor

@xiownthisplacex wrote:

Thanks for the help everyone!

I currently have a Capital One Rewards card, but only with a $500, so I want to increase it in order to keep my ratio down. I have a secured card with them for a while and never missed a payment, so i don't know why they only gave me a $500 on this one.

On a side note, I have 7 inquiries since 1-1-11, should I risk asking for a limit raise?

You can try the 'luv' button on the web site, on which Cap 1 inmates joke a lot in this forum. If it gives you no love -- which is the rule -- you should not call, because the CSR is simply going to say what you read on the site. (Unless they do things differently with Rewards cards, which is perfectly possible.) At any rate, my experience is that calling Cap 1 never originated a hard pull -- heck, they never even listen to my request!

SevenNEW, Garden Nerd - In the Garden until 2015!
4.2K 10K 24.6K
Message 9 of 11
JonStur
Established Contributor

Cap1 generally doesn't give customer initiated CLI's but give them a call anyway..maybe lady luck will smile on you..

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.