Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increased income, CLI or new card?

tag
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Re: Increased income, CLI or new card?

@revvystoke wrote:

I requested a CLI a couple weeks ago from Chase for the united card, was wanting to put some airline tickets on it. Denied due to too much avail credit.

That's surprising, whether it's Chase credit or the total of credit limits. Is a high util putting a damper on your scores?

Message 11 of 14
revvystoke
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

@revvystoke wrote:

I requested a CLI a couple weeks ago from Chase for the united card, was wanting to put some airline tickets on it. Denied due to too much avail credit.

That's surprising, whether it's Chase credit or the total of credit limits. Is a high util putting a damper on your scores?

Util is ~1%

AkAir $50k | Marriott $65k | Local CU $8k
TU: 770 / EQ: 748 / EX: 769
Message 12 of 14
watch44
Frequent Contributor

@revvystoke wrote:

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

@revvystoke wrote:

Util is ~1%

Your credit limit is about 80% of your annual income and your monthly usage is 1%. I know this is supposed to be good for your FICO, but at the same time, if I was a lender, I would be questioning too whether extending more credit to a person who seems to have no desire or the ability to use the credit they already have makes any business or financial sense.

I'm just curious because I'm in the same boat too. I have no desire to use the vast majority of my available credit and wouldn't have the means to do it anyway even if I was so inclined (my CL is 66% of my income), so why would someone like me "deserve" more credit so to speak?

I don't have a problem with people wanting a higher and higher CL to boost FICO scores (and egos too), but I'd like to understand why people express such indignation and spitefulness when creditors won't extend their unused credit lines. The anger seems misdirected in these instances versus feeling angry when creditors deny CLI's to people with high utils who PIF every month.

(Hover over pics for details) 
FICO:  TU 731 (05/14/14)   EX 749 (04/24/14)   EQ 684 (02/05/14)   Goal 700
FAKO:  TU 761 (05/20/14)   EX 761 (05/20/14)   EQ 743 (05/20/14)
Message 13 of 14
watch44
Frequent Contributor

I know I came off as somewhat pedantic in my last post. But if I were in your shoes, I'd try to sell the idea to Chase with a recon (well too late now since you already bought the tickets, but the next time anyway). I'd tell them that I like the rewards structure of the United, that I was planning on a vacation and was going to make use of the card in the near future and felt I needed a higher credit line, etc.. Just something that shows them that I'm willing to have a two-way relationship with them, that I'm not just using their products to pad my credit profile (even if I am). It never hurts to be a little nice.

(Hover over pics for details) 
FICO:  TU 731 (05/14/14)   EX 749 (04/24/14)   EQ 684 (02/05/14)   Goal 700
FAKO:  TU 761 (05/20/14)   EX 761 (05/20/14)   EQ 743 (05/20/14)
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.