Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increasing my credit limit to increase my score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Increasing my credit limit to increase my score

Hello all,

I have a question. I would like to request a higher credit limit so that my outstanding balance doesn't look as bad. However, if I request a higher credit limit, does my CC company put an inquiry on my report? That inquiry could drop my score and defeat the whole purpose. Any insight
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
autofly
Contributor

Re: Increasing my credit limit to increase my score

sdlt21 wrote:
Hello all,

I have a question. I would like to request a higher credit limit so that my outstanding balance doesn't look as bad. However, if I request a higher credit limit, does my CC company put an inquiry on my report? That inquiry could drop my score and defeat the whole purpose. Any insight

Depends on which credit card company.  Some do, some do not.  I know for sure AMEX doesn't.
Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a WAMU card. CL is 5,800 with a 3,000 balance
Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you know of a good credit card that pulls from equifax that has a good chance off approving me with 633 eq score?
Message 4 of 22
autofly
Contributor

sdlt21 wrote:

Do a search in the forums for WAMU CLI and you can read what other people have to say about the INQ's.  I don't have one of their cards.  I have read that sometimes they do pull and sometimes they don't.  Either way I've heard it's like pulling teeth to get them to give you a CLI.
Message 5 of 22
autofly
Contributor

curve401 wrote:
Do you know of a good credit card that pulls from equifax that has a good chance off approving me with 633 eq score?

Check out www.whogavemecredit.com
Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the help

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

That balance is probably going to rattle WAMU a little bit...usually you want to be carrying no more than 25% when you apply for a CLI, and ideally less than 10%.

You might want to hold off until you get the balance below $1000 at least.
Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

WaMu reviews your account occassionally to consider CLIs, they are good about them as long as your uti isn't high.  I don't think they do on demand CLIs though but it wouldn't hurt to ask.
Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That balance is probably going to rattle WAMU a little bit...usually you want to be carrying no more than 25% when you apply for a CLI, and ideally less than 10%.

You might want to hold off until you get the balance below $1000 at least.

That's not what HSBC told me. They first denied me for "Account Utilization." I called to ask them what that means, they told me that "Well your highest balance was $800 on this card and that was a while back." So I told the lady that I'd be using the card more often if the limit was higher. I'm a big spender. blah blah blah. So then she gave me the CLI. Then I promised her (jokingly) to use the card more often and max it out if she wanted me to. hahahaha. She was fine with it. I was happy.
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.