cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Individual Credit Card to Joint Credit Card Account?

tag
ADARPegasus
Established Contributor

Individual Credit Card to Joint Credit Card Account?

so i just opened a bank of america card and a american express card and there a individual account. can i call and add a co applicant/joint person and no i dont mean a AU i mean a joint so were both financially liable?

Transunion - 788 05/16
Experian - 745 05/16
Equifax - 740 05/16
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Individual Credit Card to Joint Credit Card Account?

Yes, both owners of a joint account are fully liable for everything the other person does with the account, even after divorce or if you move away. The bank will usually not release anyone from liablity, no matter the circumstances. Which means that it is usually a bad idea to open joint accounts.

Message 2 of 5
ADARPegasus
Established Contributor

i mean i have a individual account is there any way to make it a joint account?

Transunion - 788 05/16
Experian - 745 05/16
Equifax - 740 05/16
Message 3 of 5
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@Jonbuck06 wrote:

so i just opened a bank of america card and a american express card and there a individual account. can i call and add a co applicant/joint person and no i dont mean a AU i mean a joint so were both financially liable?

Usually a "co-applicant" is added during your application. To add a co-applicant after already having the account is up to the bank. I've heard some allow it, and some don't. You may want to call Amex and ask them. I think they only have to have the persons SS# during application, and most likely, if they allow it, after you have the account and simply want to add that person. However, with Amex, it could be a good reason for them to FR your account.

A good way to approach them when asking that question when and if you call, might be this:  "I know it's possible to add an authorized user to my account, would it be possible to add someone to my account as a co-applicant instead?" 

If they do allow it, the person who would be considered the co-applicant would have to sign a form of financial responsibility towards that account. Meaning they'd be legally liable for any outstanding balance just as much as the primary (you in this case) account holder if there was ever a late, default or death etc.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 4 of 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Jonbuck06 wrote:

i mean i have a individual account is there any way to make it a joint account?

This is NOT a good idea. AU is much better for both parties. There was a post just the other day from a husband who was being forced into BK, but other than the mortgage, his wife's credit was completely separate from his (no joint credit), so hers will not be affected, and they can take advantage of her good credit to tide them over.

Why do you think you should convert this to a joint account?

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.