Did you mean: 

Informing the bank of future payments

tag
DI
Super Contributor

Re: Informing the bank of future payments

@bostonte wrote:

Why?

What about this charge or payment made you contact them?

What did you hope contacting them would accomplish or avoid? 

It was out of the ordinary.  I used one of the no transaction fee checks they sent me. 

Message 11 of 30
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Calling the bank to tell them you will be paying them is silly, imo.  Why do that?  Does it help your account?  I doubt it.  Just because you say you will pay your debt means squat, the only thing that counts is when they get the money.  They aren't going to cut you any slack because you called and told them you would pay your obligation.  I resist any contact with the creditor:  I travel, charge and PIF, I'm not going to waste my time holding their hand and having a personal relationship with them.  You aren't doing anything to your benefit, and are just wasting time. 
Message 12 of 30
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@DI wrote:

@bostonte wrote:

Why?

What about this charge or payment made you contact them?

What did you hope contacting them would accomplish or avoid? 

It was out of the ordinary.  I used one of the no transaction fee checks they sent me. 

DI, believe me, if a transaction of yours is worrisome to Cap One...they will contact you...by email and by phone.   And it will be at the point where they're deciding whether to allow the transaction or not, and not after they've processed it.

On those no transaction fee checks, Cap One routinely sends an email to you informing you that the transaction has been approved (or not).  If they were concerned about your payment capabilities, they just won't approve in the first place, and most likely would not have sent you any checks to use.

If you feel the need to contact the card company about out-of-pattern charging activity, the time to do that is before you begin the transaction, not after it's completed.

Just to add that Cap One's fraud department is pretty much on top of things (in my experience), as is Chase's.  Each of these companies seems to pick up quickly on out-of-pattern account usage, and verification calls will be forthcoming.

Stop worrying so much!  :smileyhappy: 

Message 13 of 30
DI
Super Contributor

This was Capital One's response when I sent the message:

Thanks for contacting us about your Capital One account.

We have notated your account with the payment information you provided.

You are a valued customer and we thank you for choosing Capital One.

If you have questions, please respond to this email or our Customer
Service Representatives are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at
1-800-955-7070.

Message 14 of 30
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Here's the one they didn't send...

Hi, DI!

Thanks for contacting us about your Capital One account.  We love hearing from you!

Thanks for the vacation photos, and BTW, you look terrific!  That new dress is hot, and you got it at a great price, too (on sale, just like you said in your email to us after you bought it).  You are one smart shopper, DI!  Keep up the good work!

We are a little concerned, though.  Hope there's nothing wrong.  We've noted payments from you on the 3rd, the 7th, the 12th, the 20th, and the 23rd of this month totaling $816.27...your credit limit is $4000, and your statement doesn't even close until the 30th...are you having trouble deciding whether or not you could pay this bill all at once if you let the charges accumulate?

Please let us know, we worry about you.

See ya at the party Saturday!

Luv,

Your friends at Cap One

Smiley Happy  

Message 15 of 30
DI
Super Contributor

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

Hi, DI!

Thanks for contacting us about your Capital One account.  We love hearing from you!

Thanks for the vacation photos, and BTW, you look terrific!  That new dress is hot, and you got it at a great price, too (on sale, just like you said in your email to us after you bought it).  You are one smart shopper, DI!  Keep up the good work!

We are a little concerned, though.  Hope there's nothing wrong.  We've noted payments from you on the 3rd, the 7th, the 12th, the 20th, and the 23rd of this month totaling $816.27...your credit limit is $4000, and your statement doesn't even close until the 30th...are you having trouble deciding whether or not you could pay this bill all at once if you let the charges accumulate?

Luv,

Your friends at Cap One

Smiley Happy  

You must want to get Capital One sued with that type of letter.

Message 16 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

DI wrote:

This was Capital One's response when I sent the message:

Thanks for contacting us about your Capital One account.

We have notated your account with the payment information you provided.

You are a valued customer and we thank you for choosing Capital One.

If you have questions, please respond to this email or our Customer
Service Representatives are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at
1-800-955-7070.

That's a standard, fill-in-the-blank, customer service response. Every time you call, email, send smoke signals, whatever... they "notate" you account (unless it's convenient for them to forget, LOL) with <insert customer issue>, and the rest of the response is predetermined. Even the customer who's emailing to say that their late payment is in the mail will get a thanks for the contact, and "You are a valued customer and we thank you for choosing Capital One".

Message Edited by LilMirth on 02-27-2010 08:38 AM
Message 17 of 30
DI
Super Contributor

@Watchmann wrote:
Calling the bank to tell them you will be paying them is silly, imo.  Why do that?  Does it help your account?  I doubt it.  Just because you say you will pay your debt means squat, the only thing that counts is when they get the money.  They aren't going to cut you any slack because you called and told them you would pay your obligation.  I resist any contact with the creditor:  I travel, charge and PIF, I'm not going to waste my time holding their hand and having a personal relationship with them.  You aren't doing anything to your benefit, and are just wasting time. 

I emailed not call. The email wasn't sent asking for any special treatments.  It was a one sentence email( I will pay the balance of $650 on Feb 25th).   I do not live my life in fear of contacting a bank.   If a bank decides they want to close my accounts or take any other actions good for them.  

Message 18 of 30
RozBuds
Regular Contributor

Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy So Funny...Thanks for the Good laugh.

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

Hi, DI!

Luv,

Your friends at Cap One

Smiley Happy  

Message 19 of 30
DI
Super Contributor

I forgot to laugh.
Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.