Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Input on my plan and Target Red...?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Input on my plan and Target Red...?

I have been reading the forums for a few months when I discovered it looking for maximizing my rewards. I have learned that lossing out on 1% or two in one category is not worth doing (unless the signup is good and there is no min redemption). Otherwise one spreads themselves too thin and have to wait a while to have enough rewards to redeem them, which can be a problem if points expire. I will admit I wish I lived in the service are of Bank of the West for their 3% gas and groceries card (I have a 3% dining card). But I don't and so I can't get the card.

So I have many cards that benefit me very well. The only two cards that I'm looking towards adding to my wallet are the Target redcard and either a Blue Cash Everyday or Preferred card. My plan for the Blue Cash is probably get the Everyday first (preferrably with the up to $450 offer that works for me or $150 for $500 spending (and hopefully a up to $200 in addition) as I don't spend $3200 in groceries. I figure I'll just wait for the $150 for $1000 spend upgrade offer with the $95 annual fee to avoid a second hard pull and still get some sort of signup bonus (since AMEX has the once a lifetime policy). So clearly I got that planned, but I am curious to see what others think of my idea on this? Also, what do people feel about AMEX offers (random crap, makes expensive things like hotels fall to an affordable price for everyone, useful offers that one can use normally without really going out of their way, etc.)?

As for the Target card, I don't go often enough for the hard pull (yet), but notice that the 5% discount should apply to food (groceries). Is this right? Also, could I buy a gift card such as Steam GCs and still get the 5% off (I notice that it says "Target gift cards and prepaid cards, Stockpile and Gift of College gift cards" aren't eligible for the discount)? And most importantly, I've read about the shopping card trick. Does the Redcard work with the SCT? My scores are excellent so I am good as far as getting the cards.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Aahz
Established Contributor

Re: Input on my plan and Target Red...?

Since you don't spend $3200 on groceries I'm unclear why you would want the BCP.  The BCE will generate better overall rewards once you take the BCP's AF into consideration.

Personally I love AMEX Offers and I don't travel, so it's store and restaurant offers that earned me about $1500 back through AMEX offers last year.  If you want to see a hostory of AMEX Offers to see how many are likely to be useful to you I suggest browsing through the history at the Doctor of Credit Blog.  You can scroll through all their AMEX Offer posts at http://www.doctorofcredit.com/category/free-money/amex-offers-free-money/

As for the Target REDCard, you are correct that you will get the 5% discount on groceries as well as third-party gift cards including Steam.  The Shopping Cart Trick doesn't work there as the card is issued by TD Bank and the SCT only works with Comenity (and a few Synchrony) cards.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Input on my plan and Target Red...?

That is what I was saying regarding the BCP. But by getting the BCE, I would be eligible for AMEX's upgrade offers that will allow me to take a small signnup vs a new cardholder if I started spending enough for the annual fee to be worth it. Otherwise, I have thought about getting UMB's 3% on gas, groceries, and discount stores. But AMEX's signup bonus makes the card far more valuable. Personally, I probably wouldn't signup for the BCE if they didn't have the upgrade offer as a possibility, as 1% extra in one category and a signup bonus aren't worth a pull to me.

You are right about AMEX Offers. It seems very diverse, so even a few uses a year would be a major bonus. I will have to consider applying in mid-June (as Freedom has 5% on groceries next quarter), depending on if AMEX gives me an offer like what they have right now (up to $300-450). I have to finish my Cash+ signup bonus, which will take me until next quarter.

That is very interesting info considering the Target Redcard. I will have to consider buying my groceries there and maybe getting the card. Any clue on if the Redcard is still possible to get as a Mastercard (I understand they randomly do upgrades from the store card, but not sure if newer members are getting upgraded or if they just stopped)?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.