Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inq's

tag
laryn41
Frequent Contributor

Inq's

Do you call the company or the credit card ot get the inq taken off?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
bamagirl1
Established Contributor

Re: Inq's

why are you asking? you can dispute an inquiry w/the credit bureau, but why are you disputing it? i've read/heard inquiries are hard to get taken off though
~01/2008 Ficos TU 571-EX 647-EQ 652~
~3/21/2009 Ficos TU 705 EX 702 EQ 692~
~9/9/09 Ficos TU 718 EQ 693 EX???
~06/25/12 Ficos TU 719 EQ 677 EX??
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hard inquiries are seldom worth the time and energy to have removed. They're just not that big of a score factor.
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

laryn41 wrote:
Do you call the company or the credit card ot get the inq taken off?

On what grounds are you wanting it removed?

Message 4 of 12
oracles
Valued Contributor

i am thinking of asking citimortgage to remove a hard inq for a heloc i wanted but decided not to do it. I hope they will remove it.
Message 5 of 12
laryn41
Frequent Contributor

I thought that they are a big part of your score factor, plus they stay on for 2 years...
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ummm, it sounds like they still had PP for an inquiry.  I don't think they will remove it because YOU didn't want the LOC, but good luck anyway.
Message 7 of 12
bamagirl1
Established Contributor

but it only counts in your score for 1st 12 months, but wont' drop off until 24 months
~01/2008 Ficos TU 571-EX 647-EQ 652~
~3/21/2009 Ficos TU 705 EX 702 EQ 692~
~9/9/09 Ficos TU 718 EQ 693 EX???
~06/25/12 Ficos TU 719 EQ 677 EX??
Message 8 of 12
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

laryn41 wrote:
I thought that they are a big part of your score factor, plus they stay on for 2 years...

Nope. If anything, they are a very tiny factor.

I recently went from 0 to 1 inquiry on TU and didn't see a single change in score. Of my last 10 inquiries on EX, there were no changes at all to the score. The changes people see are often caused by 1 of 3 things:

1) Their score is hovering around 800. Yes, 1 inquiry at that level could cause as much as a 5 point drop. However, any change is usually caused by going from 0 to 1 or 1 to 2 inquiries. And it is not 5 pts per inquiry. It may be 5 for the 1st, 3 for the second, 1 for the third, and 0 for the rest, supposing.

2) Some have claimed to have lost 20 plus points with a single inquiry. However, it is not the inquiry that caused the damage, but rather the new account reporting. I lost 20 pts with my last CC and DW lost 25.

3) Some pull their reports, see a drop, and assume it is the inquiry that caused the damage. They need to consider other factors that could cause a drop like utilization, addition or removal of an acct, lates, etc.
Finally, don't ever dispute an inquiry. The account could completely drop off your CR, for good.
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought they were a factor as well.  Not necessarily from a score perspective, but from prospective creditors. When creditors see an abundance of inquires, I read they are leery to extend credit, or getting the reconn is more stringent.

TheNewWorldMan wrote:
Hard inquiries are seldom worth the time and energy to have removed. They're just not that big of a score factor.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.