Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inquiries affecting CC Decisions...

tag
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

Inquiries affecting CC Decisions...

I know that when an INQ hits its one year anniversary it no longer has an affect on your Fico score. But what about a potential creditor? Do they look at the two years as a whole, or just the last 12 months, or what?

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Inquiries affecting CC Decisions...

@Swapmeet wrote:

I know that when an INQ hits its one year anniversary it no longer has an affect on your Fico score. But what about a potential creditor? Do they look at the two years as a whole, or just the last 12 months, or what?

Some surely look at the 2 year INQ deal sad but true Smiley Sad

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Yep, some look at the whole inquiry pic even the ones past 12 months, several years ago it was the only reason for a denial and all of them were +12 months.

Message 3 of 9
user5387
Valued Contributor

Creditors may apply their own rules independent of your score.

This is true in areas like inquiries, new accounts, AAoA, sizes of CLs, and so on.

Message 4 of 9
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Indeed.

It's just a guess but probably an accurate enough one that if a lender Rep is having a really bad day and somehow feels predisposed on a borderline app or other neg factor(s) are already in play, they have that additional x factor available for them to conclude (misjudge?) that form and move on to the next?
Message 5 of 9
Luscher
Valued Contributor

It only stops effecting your FICO score after 1 year. Any creditor can see it up until 2 years, But I think they weigh less in the eyes of creditors past 1 year.
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 6 of 9
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

Yep, some look at the whole inquiry pic even the ones past 12 months, several years ago it was the only reason for a denial and all of them were +12 months.

Could you please tell us who denied you...I'd like to stay away from it...lol.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 7 of 9
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@Swapmeet wrote:

From 0 to 24 and everything in between...lol. I'd find it odd to be denied based on inquiries if they are all >1 year. I'd stay away from those...lol.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 8 of 9
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

The thing is, I am going on a small app spree, but I have some inqs that will hit a year in two weeks. I just got a pre selected offer in the mail for the TYP with 0% for 18 months, then 13.99. This is one of the cards that I want to get (deciding between simplicity, dividend, CDP, or TYP since I got pre qualified for all of them on their site). First things first, I am going to call USAA and get a cli tomorrow. One of my eq inqs hit a year today, so I figured I'd wait until tomorrow--just in case it raises my eq score a little (eq is my lowest score by far). Then, my new usaa limit will report in one week. As soon as it does...It's TYP, Sallie Mae, maybe CSP if they will allow me to use the same hp as my cli for freedom, maybe a rate advantage usaa if they will use my same hp.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.