Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inquiry Aging Points on Scores

tag
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

Inquiry Aging Points on Scores

Hello all...I was just curious...I have 10 inquiries and each month that they age it seems that I gain around 5-7 points. Do scores react monthly due to aging of inquiries or is it just me? Do scores recover only after a year, or after 2 years when inquiries fall off completely? Thanks for your input.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
b_seeker
Frequent Contributor

Re: Inquiry Aging Points on Scores

Short answer: Yes, scores do react. But the reason why, how long you'll notice the reaction and how much they react vary and is complicated.

There are many things that can change month to month creating your score increases. If all the inqs are the same month or so, then yeah it probably is going to create noticeable score jumps. Other things causing your score increase are you AAoA is going up as well. In general, you can recover something like 80% of your score loss from new accounts/inqs in 3-6 months(Again, other factors will play into this, not making this a 100% timeframe). As your inqs get closer to their fall off date, they get factored less into your score, and likely after a year, you'll see they no longer affect your score because of the aforementioned age but also things like AAoA increasing.

This is taking into a vacuum idea that month to month changes on your CR are only the inqs and AAoA, which is generally wrong.

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
Message 2 of 7
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

The inquiries don't hurt your score as much after 1 year but they still hurt your scores a small amount until they fall off at the two year mark. I haven't seen score bumps on a monthly basis due to inquiries aging. That's interesting.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 3 of 7
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@MovingForward_2012 wrote:
The inquiries don't hurt your score as much after 1 year but they still hurt your scores a small amount until they fall off at the two year mark. I haven't seen score bumps on a monthly basis due to inquiries aging. That's interesting.

Are you sure?  It is frequently said that FICO scoring ignores inquiries over a year old.  Of course, a lender can take into account anything still on your credit report for their own scoring, but I thought Fico was one year only.

Message 4 of 7
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

@MovingForward_2012 wrote:

Are you sure?  It is frequently said that FICO scoring ignores inquiries over a year old.  Of course, a lender can take into account anything still on your credit report for their own scoring, but I thought Fico was one year only.

+1.  FICO only scores for a year.  I'm pretty sure that's why the reports you get from myfico.com only show inquiries within the last year.  They are identified as inquiries which could be affecting your score.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 7
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 6 of 7
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

it could possibly be the aging of the accounts as well if you got them... around the 6 month mark, and the year mark i saw bumps in my score. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.