Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inquiry question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Inquiry question

I went and got a CLI from Citi which I haven't had in awhile and knew I would be getting an inquiry and hard pull as a result of it.  Today I noticed that scorewatch said this. 

There are a few changes to your credit report today:

• A new inquiry has been added to your credit report.

Also, your FICO® score has decreased by 3

Does this mean Citi most likely ONLY did a hard pull on my Equifax, or is it possible they did it on all 3 to verify nothing is bad on it, and I most likely have a hard pull on all my reports.

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Inquiry question

Filling out the form on the Citi site = hard inquiry, and no guarantee that you'll get the CLI.

But I agree, it's very unlikely that they would pull more than one bureau, and Citi often uses EQ.

Three points isn't bad at all for a new inq.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
score_building
Senior Contributor

i just got a cli from citi without a hard pull.  not sure why they would have hard pulled for yours.  even so, it is very unlikely that they pulled more than one for a cli request.  i have lost as much as as 15-20+ points for a single hard pull.
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@score_building wrote:
i just got a cli from citi without a hard pull.  not sure why they would have hard pulled for yours.  even so, it is very unlikely that they pulled more than one for a cli request.  i have lost as much as as 15-20+ points for a single hard pull.

Well I am not 100% on why they would hard pull, my assumption would be that this was my first credit card I ever had which I applied for when I was 18 and since then have had many credit line increases without hard pulls but before going higher wanted to see where I stood now.  Everytime I hit the CLI button, it wanted me to fill out the form. Thats just my best guess.  At least this inquiry only cost me 3 points, its the only one on my Equifax report now.

Message 3 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Filling out the form on the Citi site = hard inquiry, and no guarantee that you'll get the CLI.

But I agree, it's very unlikely that they would pull more than one bureau, and Citi often uses EQ.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

I knew the form was a hard inquiry but was willing to take it since it has been awhile since I had a CLI.  The increase was granted so thats always a plus lol.  

Do you think for now on if I ask for any CLI I won't have to keep getting that form to fill out? That is the 1st time I had a hard pull for a CLI in the over 4 years I have had the card.  Not that I would ask for another now, but in 6 months or year from now, I hope I don't get the form again if I ever wanted another CLI

Message 5 of 8
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I knew the form was a hard inquiry but was willing to take it since it has been awhile since I had a CLI.  The increase was granted so thats always a plus lol.  

Do you think for now on if I ask for any CLI I won't have to keep getting that form to fill out? That is the 1st time I had a hard pull for a CLI in the over 4 years I have had the card.  Not that I would ask for another now, but in 6 months or year from now, I hope I don't get the form again if I ever wanted another CLI

if you are approaching (or trying to exceed) your internal risk limit or making requests more frequently than they are willing to entertain with a soft you may get the form again. 

in any event, i am glad that it was worth it this time and they granted the cli, congrats!

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@score_building wrote:

if you are approaching (or trying to exceed) your internal risk limit or making requests more frequently than they are willing to entertain with a soft you may get the form again. 

in any event, i am glad that it was worth it this time and they granted the cli, congrats!

What is an internal risk limit? How do I know what mine is?

Message 7 of 8
oracles
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@score_building wrote:

What is an internal risk limit? How do I know what mine is?

Unfortunately it is a computer generated limit that you are not aware of. As well, they dont want you to even know this actually exist or happens. The CSR at citi told me of it. I was not suppose to know but when i referred to it in a later convo with another CSR, she told me i should not have known this info.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.