cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insist on paying with Amex...even in rural areas?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Insist on paying with Amex...even in rural areas?

While 

Message 31 of 67
SkyCommander
Frequent Contributor

I lean/insist on using my Amex cards because Amex offers, targeted bonuses, extra points etc. They send me love and Chase never does so I use my Amex more often. If I'm in a rural area and they don't take it no big deal I got Visa. I have had experiences where a restaurant didn't want me to pay with Amex even though they took it. 

Chase Hyatt | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Amex ED | Amex Hilton | Amex Bonvoy | BoA Amtrak | CapOne Quicksilver
Message 32 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

@yfan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@vanskills wrote:
In my view if a business doesn't take Amex th y are either highly incompetent or really really cheap

You clearly have never had your own business.  Many small businesses operate on low margin and that extra 1%+ can make a difference.  That said those small businesses would not often run into the snobby types that are take my Amex or I will refuse to shop/buy.

It's not that simple. While Amex does have higher swipe fees, data shows that in general, Amex cardholders spend more than Visa/MC users as well as make more than non-Amex households. Sure, it doesn't hold true for credit aficionados, but it does for the general popularion. Secondly, rewards cards also charge a higher swipe fee, and the more premium the card is, the higher the fee is, even within the Visa/MC network. And merchants can't opt out of those if they decide to take Visa/MC.

I do believe the data will show that Amex card holders make more and spend more, but that is also averaging in the entire Amex portforlio which obviously includes the Centurion Card (which the invitation is never offered if you are not spending at least $250K yearly on the Platinum Card).  That said it does not change anything to the one transaction with the small business owner at all.  If a business is "small' then they are likely not selling items or services that would appeal to the higher spend crowd because if they indeed were then I 100% believe they would be gladly taking Amex.

Message 33 of 67
wasCB14
Super Contributor

If you own a liquor store in a nice area, you should want to take Amex to make a sale to the occasional customer who makes a $300+ purchase vs. a $30 purchase.

But you own a burger restaurant, that same customer probably won't spend 10x what your typical customer spends.
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 34 of 67
iced
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:
If you own a liquor store in a nice area, you should want to take Amex to make a sale to the occasional customer who makes a $300+ purchase vs. a $30 purchase.

But you own a burger restaurant, that same customer probably won't spend 10x what your typical customer spends.

What's AmEx got to do with this? If someone wants to spend $300 on liquor, they'll spend $300 just as easily on a Visa or MC as they would an AmEx, unless you're implying that people who have AmEx cards tend to have less self control or are more likely to be alcoholics.

Jumping back on thread:

In the United States, AmEx acceptance is not as high as Visa/MC but it's going to be pretty much accepted in every nook and cranny of the country. If one place doesn't accept it, there'll be a similar place down the street that does.

International is a different story. If you travel overseas, make sure you take a Visa or MC with you as well because AmEx acceptance drops considerably. Also make sure you have access to an ATM - while many places that didn't used to take cards a few years ago now can, there are many restaurants that cannot/will not accept tips on card. Taxis are hit and miss with cards but Uber has taken off internationally and in many cities you can use it instead.

On a personal greed note, my dream would be if Marriott and United stopped accepting AmEx so I could then throw business hotel and airfare on my personal card. Not likely to happen, but one can dream.

Message 35 of 67
driftless
Valued Contributor

I think that Amex's Shop Small campaigns have helped a lot to give them inroads to smaller shops.  I was visiting a small town in Wisconsin recently and I saw a few Amex Shop Small signs on shop doors.  
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 36 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

@driftless wrote:
I think that Amex's Shop Small campaigns have helped a lot to give them inroads to smaller shops.  I was visiting a small town in Wisconsin recently and I saw a few Amex Shop Small signs on shop doors.  

Off topic ... your user name? Is that for the driftless area of Wisconsin? For the book of the same name? Something else? 

We live just on the far east edge of the driftless area

Message 37 of 67
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Iced,

I've talked about cards with a guy who owns a local liquor store. He's told me that big spenders are disproportionately likely to pay with an Amex when given the option. Amex fees are higher, but he very much wants to avoid inconveniencing customers who are otherwise willing to spend a lot and could easily go elsewhere.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 38 of 67
iced
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

Iced,

I've talked about cards with a guy who owns a local liquor store. He's told me that big spenders are disproportionately likely to pay with an Amex when given the option. Amex fees are higher, but he very much wants to avoid inconveniencing customers who are otherwise willing to spend a lot and could easily go elsewhere.

Sounds like a fascinating psychological study on the correlation between liquor purchases and card choice. I find it interesting that, in that situation, those people would rather leave than pull out a second card.

Message 39 of 67
driftless
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@driftless wrote:

Off topic ... your user name? Is that for the driftless area of Wisconsin? For the book of the same name? Something else? 

We live just on the far east edge of the driftless area

Yes, I fly fish and camp in the Driftless Area, it is a beautiful part of the world.  I have also read and enjoyed David Rhodes' book.  
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 40 of 67
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.