Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instant Approval for AMEX!

tag
blacklotus
Regular Contributor

Re: Instant Approval for AMEX!

When I apped the offer was 10,000 points after my first purchase- be that a candy bar or an iphone4.  I know that there are two different offers- the other one seems to be 15,000 points after you spend $1k within 3 months.

I'll have to wait until my card arrives but I'm pretty sure it's 10,000 points added after first purchase.

TU Fico 736 EQ Fico 730 (December 2012)
Message 11 of 19
blacklotus
Regular Contributor

Just to see what would come up I went back to the Amex preselect page- for non-cardholders since I haven't received my card yet and entered the pertinant info. and this is what I got:

We are not able to provide you with any pre-selected Card offers at this time.

If you're already a Cardmember, Click here to view exclusive Cardmember offers.

If you are not a Cardmember, it is possible that:

• We were unable to locate your credit history.
  • Our system may be down.
  • You may have attempted to qualify for special Card offers within the last 30 days
What is up with this???Smiley Indifferent  This preselect madness must not be working right.

Message 12 of 19
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@blacklotus wrote:

Just to see what would come up I went back to the Amex preselect page- for non-cardholders since I haven't received my card yet and entered the pertinant info. and this is what I got:

We are not able to provide you with any pre-selected Card offers at this time.

If you're already a Cardmember, Click here to view exclusive Cardmember offers.

If you are not a Cardmember, it is possible that:

• We were unable to locate your credit history.
  • Our system may be down.
  • You may have attempted to qualify for special Card offers within the last 30 days
What is up with this???Smiley Indifferent  This preselect madness must not be working right.

You have already been approved the fact your card isn't in your possession yet is immaterial.

Message 13 of 19
DI
Super Contributor

Congratulations! There's nothing like having an AMEX card in one's portfolio. 

Message 14 of 19
blacklotus
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the replies!  I will post follow-up when my card gets here.  I just hope Amex doesn't change their minds- EX is my worst score and still has a paid off baddie that had been reaged that I have been diligently trying to correct.  Also I had a high number of inquiries because I financed a car last Dec + opened a few new cards AND am currently apartment hunting!!!

Note: Although according to Experian's site a PLUS Score of 728 is considered "excellent".

Message 15 of 19
blacklotus
Regular Contributor

I just got my card!

3x points on airfare 2x points on gas & groceries 1x points on everything else.  $175 AF waived the first year!

It's a really nice looking card- except mine says "member since 10".

I still like my Citi Platinum Select card though for "oohs and aahs"- I haven't been using it alot but when I do it seems people stare at me like- tell me how to get this!

Message 16 of 19
blacklotus
Regular Contributor

UPDATE:

Things I have bought with my Amex Card (not necessarily in this order):

Pizza for my friend and myself and some Cokes (first purchase earning me 10,000 rewards points)

Playstation Network Card with $50 value 

A paperback novel

A Blu-ray DVD

(3) packs of Magic: The Gathering cards

(2) bottles of vitamins (I think they threw in an extra bottle as I discovered there were 3 in my bag when I got home)

(2) hard plastic protective cases for my new 32G iPhone4 (which I am NOT having reception problems with)

Smiley Very Happy

BTW:  AT&T pulls.........(drumroll)..........Experian!Smiley Indifferent 

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love AMEX, but I don't see any value in paying them an outrageous fee for a Gold card. I'd use it fee-free for a year and then cancel. My personal preference in the family is Blue Cash, but it only makes sense if you're a heavy charger.

Message 18 of 19
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

The Blue Cash is a great card if you charge a lot. So far this year, 10 months into the years, I charged about $17,000 and have a combined rebate of 1.87%.

If anyone is wondering, I charge everything to the card. If it can be charged, I charge it to the Amex -- period.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.