Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instant Approval for AMEX!

tag
blacklotus
Regular Contributor

Instant Approval for AMEX!

I wasn't going to app AMEX until I saw the Gold Premier Rewards card points system.  I have never had an AMEX I cold apped last year for a Blue Cash card and was declined.  

My current credit card portfolio is:

Chase Freedom M/C

Citi Platinum Select M/C

BBRZ M/C

Credit Union Classic Visa

I have been checking the AMEX preselected website all year and I never had a preselect offer but it had three recommended cards to app for- I never did.  I was mainly loathe to cold-app since I have multiple inquiries on my EX report and one baddie.  

Sorry for the long dialogue- I am in shock.  

But anyways I was like what the hell my EX report can't get any worse so I cold-apped for the Amex Premier Rewards Gold card a few minutes ago through website.

Congratulations xxxx xxxxx, your application is approved!

We are excited to welcome you to Card membership and all the benefits and services that come with your Card. You should receive your Card in the mail in the next 7 to 10 days. For your protection, your Card will arrive in a plain white envelope from Omaha, NE. 

Rationale:  Why did I do this?  I have never had a charge card and I think it will improve my credit card mix- any thoughts on this!Smiley Surprised

EDIT:  It was a 60 second decision from the website after I clicked "submit app" (a cold one at that).  I guess the only drawback (besides $175 AF) is my card is going to read "member since 2010".Smiley Surprised 

TU Fico 736 EQ Fico 730 (December 2012)
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
moonman
Frequent Contributor

Re: Instant Approval for AMEX!

Congratulations!!!    I believe once you build a payment history on the card, it can position you to get a credit card from them down the line.

Message 2 of 19
blacklotus
Regular Contributor

I don't want a credit card from them!

My Credit Union Classic Visa has a lower APR than any of their credit cards...

Message 3 of 19
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@blacklotus wrote:

Rationale:  Why did I do this?  I have never had a charge card and I think it will improve my credit card mix- any thoughts on this!Smiley Surprised

A charge card is different than a credit card.   It will improve your mix.  Of course, so would the Zync for a lot less money.

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool card enjoy. I really like the Amex website. Payments and charges post fast.

Message 5 of 19
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@Wolf3 wrote:

A charge card is different than a credit card.   It will improve your mix.  

I'm not sure about that. I'll do some digging and find out if that is true.Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Wolf3 wrote:

A charge card is different than a credit card.   It will improve your mix.  Of course, so would the Zync for a lot less money.

The first year of the Premier Rewards Gold is free.   If he wants he can product change to Zync before the annual fee hits next year.

Message 7 of 19
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Wolf3 wrote:

I'm not sure about this either but I'm not saying you are wrong. Do you have any information from a particular site/article/thesis, etc. that talks about this?

From a BK years ago to:
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800
6/10 TU -772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 8 of 19
blacklotus
Regular Contributor

Just an update.  I feel like waiting in line for a roller coaster ride.Smiley Indifferent

Welcome XXXXX XXXXX. Here is the status of the Card application(s) you submitted to us.

Date Received Card Status of Application Next Step

Jun 29, 2010

PREMIER REWARDS GOLD CARD FROM AMERICAN EXPRESS

Approved

Congratulations! Your application has been approved and you should receive your new card within 7-10 days. 

If you requested a balance transfer to this card, click here to view the status of that transfer

The information above is the latest we have regarding your application(s). If you don't see the Card(s) you applied for listed here, or if you have any questions, please call us at 1-866-314-0237 (Mon-Fri 6am-8pm MST).

Also:  Regarding the credit card "mix"- I think that for maximal effect it is two major credit bank cards and 1-2 department store cards.  This is what I'm wondering is shouldn't having a charge card help your score since it is a completely different animal than a credit card?

Message 9 of 19
tray
Valued Contributor

CongratulationsSmiley Happy I have the premier gold card as well hopefully you was offered the 10,000 reward points with opening this new account.  Just make sure you carry no balance when your statement cuts as TU score usually drops with a balance reporting I know it does for me anyway.  Also with this card there are no balance transfer options.

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.