cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instant same-day APR interest accrual? No grace period?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Instant same-day APR interest accrual? No grace period?

I heard about two years ago (before the economy crashed) that some ccc's were considering instant APR accrual  the same business day a charge was applied to a credit card, effectively wiping out the grace period.

Would this be illegal?  Wouldn't this make it much difficult for credit scores?  Your thoughts on how this would change your buying habits?   I personally wouldn't make any more cc purchases again, except possibly at the end of the billing cycle.  I would think that it would bring Internet commerce to a grinding halt.

Thanks,

Dan

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Instant same-day APR interest accrual? No grace period?

No, it would not necessarily be illegal if that were the terms of the card.  The reason for grace period is for three reasons:  1.  Encourage the payment   2.  Encourage the use   3.  Collection of merchant fee discounts that the seller pays. 

For those who PIF, this would be a huge disincentive and encourge the use of either debit cards or AMEX or Signature/Charge type cards that do not charge interest and must PIF at statement.  For those who carry a balance, this would not be as much of a disincentive since they would pay the interest anyway.

I could see subprime cards that tend to market to people with no options and that will carry a balance doing this.  But I have a hard time seeing prime banks doing this.  There is much more money in the merchant discounts than in the interest (unless it is astronaut APR).  In addition, it would require nearly universal acceptance and implementation of this policy otherwise the individual CCC's who issued such terms would soon find themselves quickly losing their prime customers to other CCC's who did not (which would use this as a marketing advantage).

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, it would not necessarily be illegal if that were the terms of the card.  The reason for grace period is for three reasons:  1.  Encourage the payment   2.  Encourage the use   3.  Collection of merchant fee discounts that the seller pays. 

For those who PIF, this would be a huge disincentive and encourge the use of either debit cards or AMEX or Signature/Charge type cards that do not charge interest and must PIF at statement.  For those who carry a balance, this would not be as much of a disincentive since they would pay the interest anyway.

I could see subprime cards that tend to market to people with no options and that will carry a balance doing this.  But I have a hard time seeing prime banks doing this.  There is much more money in the merchant discounts than in the interest (unless it is astronaut APR).  In addition, it would require nearly universal acceptance and implementation of this policy otherwise the individual CCC's who issued such terms would soon find themselves quickly losing their prime customers to other CCC's who did not (which would use this as a marketing advantage).

Message 2 of 9
athensguy
Valued Contributor

There are cards with no grace period, but if you're carrying a balance, then you don't get a grace period anyway.
Message 3 of 9
tunseeker1
Regular Contributor

@athensguy wrote:
There are cards with no grace period, but if you're carrying a balance, then you don't get a grace period anyway.
Actually with no grace period the only way you would have no finance charges is to not use the card. If you charge and PIF then you still get interest even without carrying a balance.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe athensguy was explaining that even on cards with a grace period, if you don't PIF, you pay interest and the grace is lost.

For cards that do not offer a grace period, this is a non-issue for individuals who do not PIF, because they would never get a grace whether it is offered or not, because grace only applies when PIF.

Message 5 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Cash advances have no Grace Period, to get them paid off you basically have to pay online same day because of the daily accrual of finance charges.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Addict - we are talking about a card that provides no grace period on purchase, not cash advances.
Message 7 of 9
athensguy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Addict - we are talking about a card that provides no grace period on purchase, not cash advances.
If I carry a balance and I want to get rid of it and post $0 next time, I overpay using BillPay.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the info.  I had forgotten cash advance always has APR accrual.  I don't use it enough.  I guess instant accrual on purchases isn't something I'd have to worry about in the near future.  Thanks again.

Dan

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.