Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insurance doesn't take Amex

tag
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Re: Insurance doesn't take Amex

I'm 23 with a 2013 car. These insurance companies will hit me over the head for a while
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 31 of 48
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Went through AARP, switching renter's insurance. They take Amex.
Signature needs updating
Message 32 of 48
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Don't you have to be 50? We got an invitation to join in the mail but nobody is old enough in my household. Just threw it out
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K

Message 33 of 48
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@icyhot wrote:
Don't you have to be 50? We got an invitation to join in the mail but nobody is old enough in my household. Just threw it out

They have affiliate memberships, you can check it out.  Those are for younger folks.  And the Hartford guy I was talking to, seemed to have insured folks younger than 50.  Popamode is College age, and is a member.

Signature needs updating
Message 34 of 48
C6Guy
Established Member

I'm in the industry and can shed some
light on the mysteries. In general rates are based on a few factors experience not age, credit (in states that's legal pretty much every where except California) area that's why our bud in NJ is getting super crazy rates whereas someone else cheaper and just as importantly the record. Rate increases will normally have a correlation with coverage type ie If you have full coverage you'll see a larger in crease then if you just carried state requirements. Hope that helps.
Message 35 of 48
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@icyhot wrote:
I'm also under 25 so I think that makes a difference

Bingo, you will pay surcharges till you turn 25 and maybe even longer since you have had an at fault accident.

Message 36 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

I see a couple of people posting with insurance policies of ~$200 for 6 months, that sounds awful nice! lol. Currently I pay around $130 per month for a pretty basic policy, due to age. Too many young drivers suck and drive up our prices. Smiley Sad

OP, if your credit profile supports it, have you considered the Citi Double Cash? 2% on everything and it's a MasterCard so it might be accepted. Guessing you've already thougt of that but just thought I'd mention it!

Message 37 of 48
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I see a couple of people posting with insurance policies of ~$200 for 6 months, that sounds awful nice! lol. Currently I pay around $130 per month for a pretty basic policy, due to age. Too many young drivers suck and drive up our prices. Smiley Sad

OP, if your credit profile supports it, have you considered the Citi Double Cash? 2% on everything and it's a MasterCard so it might be accepted. Guessing you've already thougt of that but just thought I'd mention it!

Still gardening, but citi has loosened their offers: today's mail, DC with 18 month 0% everything, 14.99 thereafter.  Sigh, must keep gardening.  Wonder what the bottom is for citi interest.

Signature needs updating
Message 38 of 48
icyhot
Valued Contributor

David, the double cash would be nice, but my profile doesn't support it as of yet. Too many inquiries.

Message 39 of 48
Cory
Established Contributor

AAA doesn't let you pay your monthly installment auto premium period with a credit card. At least I can't pay my premium with a credit card. I really dispise that to.

Message 40 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.