cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interest Charged after PIF...Is that right?

tag
KnowMoreGrowMore
Regular Contributor

Interest Charged after PIF...Is that right?

Got dinged with an interest fee on my Barclay Rewards CC after I PIF on statement closing date (12/3) with at $400 balance. Made above the minimum payment well before the due date (11/28). Both payments were posted on statement closing date, but with interest. Interest was charged on $1200, which included $1000 for new purchases.

I can possibly understand the statement balance being dinged for interest because Barclays received it on the statement closing date and not the "due date", but I don't understand why I'm getting dinged for interest on any new purchases. What happened to the grace period? Did I lose it because I missed the PIF by the "due date"?  

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!

FICO 08 TU: 722 EX: 724 EQ: 728 May 2018
INQs: TU:1 EX:0 EQ:1
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

Re: Interest Charged after PIF...Is that right?

You have to PIF before the due date.  Otherwise, you loose your grace period.

I thought you could get back the grace period by PIF for the next two months.  However, I have been told that is only true if you don't use the card for a month.  Otherwise you need to zero out the balance.  

Message 2 of 7
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

If you carried a balance of even $1, you lose your grace period until you PIF you entire balance (including carried + new charges) and waiting for an entire cycle.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 7
KnowMoreGrowMore
Regular Contributor

@CreditDunce wrote:

You have to PIF before the due date.  Otherwise, you loose your grace period.

I thought you could get back the grace period by PIF for the next two months.  However, I have been told that is only true if you don't use the card for a month.  Otherwise you need to zero out the balance.  

Thanks CreditDunce. I think I confused the 'before statement closes/cut' date with the util rate for reporting by the CRAs.

Thanks for clearing this up! Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 7
KnowMoreGrowMore
Regular Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:
If you carried a balance of even $1, you lose your grace period until you PIF you entire balance (including carried + new charges) and waiting for an entire cycle.

Thanks OmarGB9. Giving up the grace period is not the way I wish to go in the future, unless I absolutely have to. If so, I'll be sure to use a lower interest card. Lesson learned! Smiley Sad

Thanks!

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

i thought grace period only applies to mortgages?

Message 6 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

i thought grace period only applies to mortgages?

It has different meanings in various contexts

For a credit card it just means you don't pay interest on purchases providing you PIF before due date (and have done so on previous cycles).

For mortgages it can mean not paying a late fee if you pay up to 15 days after the due date.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.