New Contributor

Interest Confusion

I'm confused.....I paid $459 off of my Capital One card to leave $35 balance to report giving me less than 9% utilization.  Yet my interest charged is still $3.64??  The card has an interest rate of 13.94%.  I dont understand how they are getting $3.64 of interest on a $35 balance.  Am i missing something?

2/18/15 via Discover's FICO 649
3/11/15 via Walmart's FICO 692
Cap One Platinum $2250 Discover $700 VS $2350 Belk $700 Care Credit $6,200-co-app w/ husband Walmart $650 Cap One $2250 Plat Prestige $1,000 Chase Freedom $7000 AmEx $1500
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: Interest Confusion

determinedchick wrote:

I'm confused.....I paid $459 off of my Capital One card to leave $35 balance to report giving me less than 9% utilization.  Yet my interest charged is still $3.64??  The card has an interest rate of 13.94%.  I dont understand how they are getting $3.64 of interest on a $35 balance.  Am i missing something?

The month before did you also leave a balnace?

And if so did you pay all current monthly charges plus the balance from last month?

+ Chase ink =

Regular Contributor

That's residual interest, even though the balance was paid off they still charge you interest for the days after the statement cut.

Valued Contributor

Awesomely wrote:

That's residual interest, even though the balance was paid off they still charge you interest for the days after the statement cut.

+1

Plus any other balance you may have carried from the previous billing cycle.  If you don't want to incur any finance charges, then the best method is to PIF.  If you want to leave $35 (for reporting purposes) during the current statement cycle, then you need to make sure your previous statement/billing had a $0 balance, otherwise the finance charge fairy will leave you with a nice surprise when your current statement cuts.

Super Contributor

Check your T&C. They might be doing interest calculations on average daily balance as well.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Frequent Contributor

+1

It's usually average daily balance that gets you, NOT the interest on the small amount that wasn't paid off.

Based on your info provided, I estimed your average daily blance was about $313 for each day in your statement period.

Even if your average daily balance was $35, there can also be a minimum finance charge.

FICO June '15: EX 800, EQ 822, TU 823

Highlighted
New Contributor

Thanks for the replies, i've got much to learn.  

The average daily balance sounds right, i didn't know thats how it was calculated..

2/18/15 via Discover's FICO 649
3/11/15 via Walmart's FICO 692
Cap One Platinum $2250 Discover $700 VS $2350 Belk $700 Care Credit $6,200-co-app w/ husband Walmart $650 Cap One $2250 Plat Prestige $1,000 Chase Freedom $7000 AmEx $1500
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.