Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Super Contributor

Interest earned from PenFed's Credit Card...Is it taxable?

I opened my PenFed credt card in August 2009.  I earned less than $5.00 in interest.  Can I expect to receive a 1099 INT? 
Regular Contributor

Re: Interest earned from PenFed's Credit Card...Is it taxable?

Are you referring to interest earned on a PenFed deposit account or rebates on purchases paid by a PenFed CC?

Interest earned on deposit accounts is taxable, but financial institutions won't issue 1099s unless the total amount paid for the year is at least $10.

As far as CC cash rebates are concerned, I believe that the IRS considers these to be refunds of overpayments. As such, they are not taxable income to the recipient.

Super Contributor

Thanks JimB! 
Moderator Emeritus

With all due respect I personally wouldn't listen to any tax advice from anyone on an online forum. The IRS is the final authority on these matters and they have NO sense of humor. I would contact them to be sure.

Just my 2 cents.

Moderator Emerita

fwiw, which is little or nothing as this never occurred to me, I never received a statement last year from PenFed for my cash rebates. I don't have checking or savings, so there wasn't anything to get confused with.

Good point about clarifying with the IRS, but at the same time, are regular rewards on other cards taxable? Points on American Express charge cards and so forth? I've never heard that they were (again, fwiw), and there's no difference in the PenFed rewards, IMO.

Great, something new to brood about... Smiley Very Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Senior Contributor

See IRS Publication 17. The answer seems to be no the rebates are considered as lowering the purchase price of the items.
Regular Contributor

haulingthescoreup wrote:
Good point about clarifying with the IRS, but at the same time, are regular rewards on other cards taxable? Points on American Express charge cards and so forth? I've never heard that they were (again, fwiw), and there's no difference in the PenFed rewards, IMO.

I've been collecting cash rebates from Discover since I got the card in 1986, & I've never seen any indication - Form 1099s, letters from Discover, etc. - that I'm required to required to report or pay taxes on this money.
By contrast, the mutual funds & brokerage firms with which I do business bombard me with paper & e-mails, beginning in December, to keep me informed about my responsibilities to the Infernal Revenue Service. I'd have to be deaf, dumb, blind & locked in the basement not to know that I've got work to do.

Super Contributor

I checked PenFed's website for end of your tax information.  I did not earn any interest from savings.  Interest on rewards are not taxable. 
Frequent Contributor

I have been doing taxes on base for the last 4 years with training provided by the IRS in 2006 & 2007 and you don't have to claim the money earned by rewards credit cards.

You do have to claim any amount over $10 on any interest bearing account that is held by a bank, CU or other finanical institution.

Current Score: EX 718 EQ 689 TU 757 23 Jun 13
Goal Score: 760 across the board by Jul 14

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Senior Contributor

rubaty wrote:

I have been doing taxes on base for the last 4 years with training provided by the IRS in 2006 & 2007 and you don't have to claim the money earned by rewards credit cards.

You do have to claim any amount over $10 on any interest bearing account that is held by a bank, CU or other finanical institution.

Thinking under.

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.