Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interest rate change

tag
jackg
Established Contributor

Interest rate change

Last Friday I got an email from Juniper (Barclays) asking if I had forgotten to make my payment. It raised a red flag because I knew I had made the payment so I logged in and after scouring all important stuff I discovered the had raised my interest rate from 14.9% to 23.24%. Keep in mind that the minimum payment amount also changed, it went up by 50% approx. which means they applied the new interest rate to old purchases. Here are my questions:

1. Can they. withou notifying me, just change the rate for no reason? No payments have been missed, no shenanigans going on here.

2. Can they apply a new interest rate to old purchases?

I'm kinda lost here so need some help about how best to deal with them. Thanks

FICO scores on November 17, 2014 (prior to applying for and being approved my mortgage)

EX=738
EQ=735
TU=754

FICO scores on March 4, 2015 after being approved for mortgage and buying the home, the mortgage isn't yet reporting.
EX- 689 EQ- 739 TU- 739
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Autumnslight
Frequent Contributor

Re: Interest rate change

It sounds like something triggered a penalty APR in their system. That usually happens if you make a late payment (even by one day) or go over your credit limit. The penalty APR and what triggers it should be spelled out in your card member agreement.

If I recall correctly, under the new laws, they can apply the penalty APR to old purchases, but then they have to remove it once you've made six consecutive on-time payments. However, they can keep the penalty APR for new purchases indefinitely.

Some banks will apply a penalty APR on ALL of your accounts if you do anything to trigger it on just one account. So, if you have any other accounts with the same company, check those too.

If you didn't do anything to trigger a penalty APR, then maybe it's just a mistake in their system. You'll probably want to give them a call and see what they have to say.

Scores:
07/29/12: EX FICO (Amex) 684 | EQ MyFICO 631 | TU Walmart 695
Current: EX FICO (MyFICO) 733 | EQ (MyFICO) 683 | TU (Walmart) 745

First Goal: 700+ across the board - Got it on EX & TU!!!
Message 2 of 3
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Interest rate change

You absolutely sure the payment went through (not bounced) and it is on time (before 5 PM eastern time)?

Barclays can apply penalty APR the moment you missed a payment (bounced or late). It is in the term and it is permitted by federal law to apply penalty APR. Penalty APR stays on your account indefinitely unless you make 6 consecutive on time payments. Penalty APR applies to old purchases.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.