Reply
Frequent Contributor
steve23111
Posts: 354
Registered: ‎08-09-2011
0

Interesting AMEX CLI Denial

So, those who have been here a while know I managed somehow to get back in with AMEX back in February of last year.  I've actually managed to get three cards (Clear, Blue Cash Preferred, and NPSL Zync).  Between the Clear and BCP I have a total $9500 CL with AMEX, and have received a CLI to $5000 on the Clear previously, after an initial starting limit of $5000 was slashed to $2600 due to a "system error" a couple months after opening the account.

 

All this after including AMEX in a Chapter 7 for around $4500 back in May of 2002.  It appeared AMEX had "forgotten" that they were IIB'd, or were willing to look the other way for some reason.  That BK has fallen off, around the same time my BCP hit 6 months old.  Today, I called in for a CLI, shot for 3X the current limit, and was declined.

 

According to the letter (online) the reason is:

 

Your American Express account(s) indicates previous delinquencies.

 

Since getting back on board with AMEX, I have not missed a payment or gone over a credit limit on any of my accounts, and in fact have not done this on any account since the Chapter 7.  I got into the "800" club somehow.  Anyway, I guess their system has finally found the old records of the BK.  They were fine with the new accounts, and fine with a CLI on the Clear, but not on the BCP.

 

This really is a love-hate relationship with AMEX.  They're so darn fickle!

5/2002 - Chapter 7
7/2011 - Equifax FICO 693
5/2012 - Equifax FICO 812! In the "800 Club!"
2/2013 - Lender-pulled EQ FICO 821 (car loan)
7/2014 - Lender-pulled EQ FICO 832 (car loan)
Valued Contributor
Crashem
Posts: 3,098
Registered: ‎01-26-2012
0

Re: Interesting AMEX CLI Denial

Wow that is interesting. First case I have heard of AMEX after letting someone in, get restricted for their past AMEX issues.  Might be worth calling AMEX CLI line directly to get more info.

               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Frequent Contributor
steve23111
Posts: 354
Registered: ‎08-09-2011
0

Re: Interesting AMEX CLI Denial


Crashem wrote:

Wow that is interesting. First case I have heard of AMEX after letting someone in, get restricted for their past AMEX issues.  Might be worth calling AMEX CLI line directly to get more info.


That's a boat I am probably not going to rock...

5/2002 - Chapter 7
7/2011 - Equifax FICO 693
5/2012 - Equifax FICO 812! In the "800 Club!"
2/2013 - Lender-pulled EQ FICO 821 (car loan)
7/2014 - Lender-pulled EQ FICO 832 (car loan)
Valued Contributor
RyVision
Posts: 1,346
Registered: ‎04-15-2011
0

Re: Interesting AMEX CLI Denial


steve23111 wrote:

Crashem wrote:

Wow that is interesting. First case I have heard of AMEX after letting someone in, get restricted for their past AMEX issues.  Might be worth calling AMEX CLI line directly to get more info.


That's a boat I am probably not going to rock...



I think that's wise myself.  You got back in with them (when they possibly could have blacklisted you) and seemed rather thrilled about it (who wouldn't?).  Seems like you got back in after the 10 year reporting cut off (not sure of that, just a theory), AMEX has a good "memory" although it can be "spotty" at times. It may have been why your Clear was CLD'd early on and they called it a system error*, this could be a system error too, but I'd wait a while to ask.  Maybe give it 6 months or so and ask again?

 

System error being "there's this issue in history but we haven't delved into it to deeply yet, it may or may not effect your account"

Frequent Contributor
steve23111
Posts: 354
Registered: ‎08-09-2011
0

Re: Interesting AMEX CLI Denial

[ Edited ]

Yeah.  It's not like I've been a bad customer since I came back or anything.  My Clear is at a $5000 CL but has been sock drawered since I got the BCP ($4500 CL) because of the higher rewards, but I've pumped a hell of a lot of money through AMEX and for the most part have PIF'ed each month.

 

Just out of curiosity, I pulled the reports from the AMEX web site.  Since I got back in and made my first purchase on March 4, 2011, between the three cards I have:

 

  • Processed 1,622 transactions for a total of $31,573.87
  • Averaged 3.53 transactions and $68.79 in spending per day
  • Paid $100 in annual fees
  • Received $75 in referral credits
  • Redeemed $475 in cash rewards
  • Disputed or otherwise requested adjustments or credits for exactly zero transactions
  • Never been over the credit limit
  • Never been late on a payment, even by 1 minute
  • Paid in full almost every month

...or, in other words, I've been a darn good customer!  Sure, I'm not exactly racking up interest, but I'm sure I've earned them a boatload in transaction fees!

5/2002 - Chapter 7
7/2011 - Equifax FICO 693
5/2012 - Equifax FICO 812! In the "800 Club!"
2/2013 - Lender-pulled EQ FICO 821 (car loan)
7/2014 - Lender-pulled EQ FICO 832 (car loan)
Valued Contributor
Crashem
Posts: 3,098
Registered: ‎01-26-2012
0

Re: Interesting AMEX CLI Denial

Steve, you get backdated on those cards at least?  Well you can try back in 90 days after denial through automated system.

               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Frequent Contributor
steve23111
Posts: 354
Registered: ‎08-09-2011
0

Re: Interesting AMEX CLI Denial


Crashem wrote:

Steve, you get backdated on those cards at least?  Well you can try back in 90 days after denial through automated system.


Yup, shows member since 2000 on all of them.

 

I'll give it another shot.  Meanwhile, I may see about getting that $5000 CL from the Clear reallocated to the BCP and close out the unused Clear.

5/2002 - Chapter 7
7/2011 - Equifax FICO 693
5/2012 - Equifax FICO 812! In the "800 Club!"
2/2013 - Lender-pulled EQ FICO 821 (car loan)
7/2014 - Lender-pulled EQ FICO 832 (car loan)
Established Contributor
amercnchopz34
Posts: 839
Registered: ‎10-28-2011
0

Re: Interesting AMEX CLI Denial


steve23111 wrote:

Crashem wrote:

Steve, you get backdated on those cards at least?  Well you can try back in 90 days after denial through automated system.


Yup, shows member since 2000 on all of them.

 

I'll give it another shot.  Meanwhile, I may see about getting that $5000 CL from the Clear reallocated to the BCP and close out the unused Clear.


 

Just curious steve,how long till you got in with Amex after your BK and with it still reporting??


Frequent Contributor
steve23111
Posts: 354
Registered: ‎08-09-2011
0

Re: Interesting AMEX CLI Denial


amercnchopz34 wrote:

steve23111 wrote:

Crashem wrote:

Steve, you get backdated on those cards at least?  Well you can try back in 90 days after denial through automated system.


Yup, shows member since 2000 on all of them.

 

I'll give it another shot.  Meanwhile, I may see about getting that $5000 CL from the Clear reallocated to the BCP and close out the unused Clear.


 

Just curious steve,how long till you got in with Amex after your BK and with it still reporting??


BK was filed 5/2002.  Reapplied 2/2011.  Yes, BK was still reporting.  IIB'd accounts were no longer on the CR.

5/2002 - Chapter 7
7/2011 - Equifax FICO 693
5/2012 - Equifax FICO 812! In the "800 Club!"
2/2013 - Lender-pulled EQ FICO 821 (car loan)
7/2014 - Lender-pulled EQ FICO 832 (car loan)
Frequent Contributor
steve23111
Posts: 354
Registered: ‎08-09-2011
0

Re: Interesting AMEX CLI Denial

Update:  I just went online and applied for a CLI, this time requesting an increase from $4500 to $6000.  That would match my Chase Freedom, and is $1500 less than my PayPal Mastercard.  Instantly approved!

5/2002 - Chapter 7
7/2011 - Equifax FICO 693
5/2012 - Equifax FICO 812! In the "800 Club!"
2/2013 - Lender-pulled EQ FICO 821 (car loan)
7/2014 - Lender-pulled EQ FICO 832 (car loan)

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+