cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting American Express pre-approval offer from Premier Rewards Gold homepage!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Interesting American Express pre-approval offer from Premier Rewards Gold homepage!

it's not worth it unless you travel a lot and would put the airline credit/lounge access to good use. if you travel one or two times a year than dfinitely pass on this. 

Vanilla AmEx platinum charge cards are an AWFUL value even if you do travel. however, there are co branded AmEx Platinum cards like the Marcedes Benz platinum card and Ameriprise Platinum card that are actually worth keeping around. if you can't make use of these co branded products but still want a travel card, consider the Citi Prestige

Message 11 of 20
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Interesting American Express pre-approval offer from Premier Rewards Gold homepage!

@Anonymous wrote:

it's not worth it unless you travel a lot and would put the airline credit/lounge access to good use. if you travel one or two times a year than dfinitely pass on this. 

Vanilla AmEx platinum charge cards are an AWFUL value even if you do travel. however, there are co branded AmEx Platinum cards like the Marcedes Benz platinum card and Ameriprise Platinum card that are actually worth keeping around. if you can't make use of these co branded products but still want a travel card, consider the Citi Prestige

I'm going to entirely disagree with this. 

50k points is a better offer than the standard new customer offer, so having it as an upgrade offer is great. Even if you don't travel a lot you can make use of 50k points. 

Just because you don't travel a lot doesn't mean you cant make use out of the airline credit. If you have a family and go on one trip, luggage fees will pretty much use the airline credit. If not, buy gift cards and save them for an upcoming trip. 

What makes the mercedes platinum card better? 

The ameriprise one has the waived annual fee, but NO signup bonus. 50k points is easily worth the annual fee by itself. 

I hate when people say "oh, if you don't travel a lot then you don't want to get this card" - The whole point of these cards is they give you the means by which to travel. 50k points can get you somewhere, and the lounge access and airline credit will only make your trip better. 

Message 12 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

50k points is a better offer than the standard new customer offer, so having it as an upgrade offer is great. Even if you don't travel a lot you can make use of 50k points. 

Just because you don't travel a lot doesn't mean you cant make use out of the airline credit. If you have a family and go on one trip, luggage fees will pretty much use the airline credit. If not, buy gift cards and save them for an upcoming trip. 

The ameriprise one has the waived annual fee, but NO signup bonus. 50k points is easily worth the annual fee by itself. 

I hate when people say "oh, if you don't travel a lot then you don't want to get this card" - The whole point of these cards is they give you the means by which to travel. 50k points can get you somewhere, and the lounge access and airline credit will only make your trip better. 

it's not like they just hand out the 50k points and send you on your marry way. you still get pegged with a $450 fee in the middle of the first billing cycle. and the bonus is once in a lifetime thing. you'll never get any kind of bonus on that card every gain. 

The Ameriprise and Goldman Sachs version give you bonus points for meeting spend requirements EVERY YEAR, not just during sign up. The Morgan Stanley version gives you a $500 statement credit after 100k spend every year.

The Mercedes Benz card puts a $1000 down payment on a new Benz for you once every year if you spend enough and waives up to 2000 excess miles when you turn your lease in. obvidouly only uselful to people who drive a Benz, but still a great benefit. i used it once every 2 years and it completely negates the AF for me. and i may use it 2 consecutive years since i want to get my brother a nice graduation present this year. The airline credit and lounge benefit come to me completely free of charge.

if you just want to churn points, just go for the business AmEx cards since the bonus points can be earned over and over again.  

Message 13 of 20
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

it's not like they just hand out the 50k points and send you on your marry way. you still get pegged with a $450 fee in the middle of the first billing cycle. and the bonus is once in a lifetime thing. you'll never get any kind of bonus on that card every gain. 

The Ameriprise and Goldman Sachs version give you bonus points for meeting spend requirements EVERY YEAR, not just during sign up. The Morgan Stanley version gives you a $500 statement credit after 100k spend every year.

The Mercedes Benz card puts a $1000 down payment on a new Benz for you once every year if you spend enough and waives up to 2000 excess miles when you turn your lease in. obvidouly only uselful to people who drive a Benz, but still a great benefit. i used it once every 2 years and it completely negates the AF for me. and i may use it 2 consecutive years since i want to get my brother a nice graduation present this year. The airline credit and lounge benefit come to me completely free of charge.

if you just want to churn points, just go for the business AmEx cards since the bonus points can be earned over and over again.  

You can definitely do better putting 100k spend on a different card, so thats meh. the mercedes is only good if you drive a mercedes. 
And OP has the PRG, so if they paid AF this year the AF is prorated. 

Message 14 of 20
Rackham94
Established Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You can definitely do better putting 100k spend on a different card, so thats meh. the mercedes is only good if you drive a mercedes. 
And OP has the PRG, so if they paid AF this year the AF is prorated. 

I paid AF in November so if I upgrade this week how does that look?

Message 15 of 20
jsucool76
Super Contributor

you already paid 175,so you would pay 450-175 essentially.
Message 16 of 20
Rackham94
Established Contributor

Interesting. Does upgrading add hard inq?

If I downgrade back once I meet spend will I lost bonus points 

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rackham94 wrote:
I paid AF in November so if I upgrade this week how does that look?

i upgraded from green to platinum some time ago. they prorated my green membership and refunded a part of it, then charged me the full $475 (my fee is slightly higher) less than 2 weeks after i got my platinum card. 

also, as soon as the AF posted, they cut a statement for me and obviously i had to pay it off right away. after that the billing statements returned to normal 1 month periods. 

Message 18 of 20
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Rackham94 wrote:

Interesting. Does upgrading add hard inq?

If I downgrade back once I meet spend will I lost bonus points 

Shouldn't be an inq for the upgrade, and maybe to the 2nd part. Not sure how they'll go for that. Plat card can totally be worth it for a year if you use it right though. 

Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you miss out on this offer - the Morgan Stanley version offers the 50k MR bonus points standard AND 1 free AU card... as opposed to the $175 you'd pay for the regular plat.

Given of course that you have a MSSB acct.   Long shot but I thought I'd throw it out there if you're hinging on this 50k bonus.

You could always set up a small MSSB account later if you really wanted the 50k and don't want to sign up for this now.

EDIT:  I have an MSSB account and will be opening a new MS Plat and closing my regular plat out for the extra 50k points.  I think there were talks in FT that the co-branded plats are churnable? (don't quote me on that... I'm trying to dig up the post I read about it)

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.