Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting BoA CLI denial reason.

tag
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

Interesting BoA CLI denial reason.

Interesting! Haven't seen this one before: "The amount of deposit and investment balances you have with us and our affiliates is insufficient" After I recieved a nice CLI recently I reconned to try to get a little more to get a Visa SignatureSmiley Tongue I guess they want to see more cash in my checking!Smiley Happy

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Kevin86475391
Frequent Contributor

Re: Interesting BoA CLI denial reason.

I wonder if this only occurred because you have bank accounts with them. I have a BofA Visa Signature, but don't use them for banking or investments, so presumably I have less deposit/investment funds with them than you do: $0! lol

I would assume that there are a lot of people out there who only have credit cards with them and no checking, savings, or investments.

Message 2 of 7
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

If I apply for the Alaska Airlines card, that would be moi. Like my banking and credit cards separate.
Signature needs updating
Message 3 of 7
icyhot
Valued Contributor

@Imperfectfuture wrote:
If I apply for the Alaska Airlines card, that would be moi. Like my banking and credit cards separate.

Interesting. Any reason in particular why?

Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 4 of 7
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@icyhot wrote:

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

Just habit from the old days (Wamu,yuck).  I also never use the pump, even with car, always went inside.  Habit.  And, it works out well.  The best rates, including business checking, are at CU's.  But the best cash back, mileage cards are with major banks.  Since I will never be palladium material, only the tax man will know all my secrets (to a point). Smiley Happy

Signature needs updating
Message 5 of 7
NichelleN
Established Contributor

That's exactly the reason listed on my denial letter when attempting to unsecure a BofA card. I thought it was odd.

More than enough credit.
Message 6 of 7
Open123
Super Contributor

@icyhot wrote:

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

I adopt the same practice.  My reasons are:

1.  Never a good idea to have a creditor with ready access to deposits.  Under certain conditions, they can confiscate funds for unpaid debts.

2.  Privacy issues - relationship banking gives an instiutional far too many insights on what or when I do.  If I'm ever under investigation, I don't want to make it easy for the investigators.

3.  Cash is a negative asset.  For me, checking accounts will never exceed $500.  Most of my checking remains under $20, at all times. 

Banks are utilities, and should be treated as such.  We use them to pay bills, get cash, write and deposit checks.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.