cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting Chase Approval (sort of)

tag
the_jan_b
Established Contributor

Re: Interesting Chase Approval (sort of)

@JaysonT wrote:

Update - I received an email from Chase this evening with a welcome message and the account is now showing on my Chase account page with the other cards.  As the CSR suggested, $17,900.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Enjoying your freedom? Thank a servicemember and their family!

In the garden since 26 Jun 14...

I am digitaldiva's alter-ego

Message 11 of 18
JaysonT
Regular Contributor

Thanks to everyone for the congrats I am sure that this and all the other cards I have are thanks to the great information everyone shares on this board.

Message 12 of 18
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

Congrats.  Can't wait to enjoy the benefits of a Chase card.

Starting Score: 722
Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)
Goal Score: 800

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 13 of 18
JRomulus
Regular Contributor

I saw this post regarding the Chase Marriott co-branded card and had to add my experience.

Although I've been dutifully gardening for about 6 months, my company just changed the preferred (required) hotel near my plant from Hilton to Marriott due to a better corp. rate.  So I saw the deal on the Chase Marriott  Rewards card, and lifted the freeze on my TU file and apped last week.

When I called to ask (identity verification she said) she did indicate that "they will need about 7 - 10 days to make a decision but I'm recommending approval". 

I let it go at that cause it sounded positive.  A few days later, my status on the Marriott Rewards member page went from "member" to "Silver" so I thought "cool I just got a nice Chase card".

(Chase has never really shown me much love over the years even though it's my family's primary bank.)

Called the  Chase application status line recently and the recording changed to "Approved, new credit line of $20K ". 

Wow.  My first $20K card, and I never would have guessed it would have been Chase. 

Twice the 2 lines that Amex has given me and $5K more than my Citi MC. So the credit line decisions really must take a potential cardholder's other lines into consideration.  WIth that decision they grabbed a prime slot in my wallet.  (and no foreign transaction fees either, the only reason I was keeping a small CL Capital One card with AF).

I do wonder how much input the Brands really have on these types of decisions.  I bet their input is their ability to see their ideal customer.  For a hotel, a traveling salesman would have to be a prime target.  So, hello Marriott!  I will spend a good chunk of my 80 nights this year with you.

Message 14 of 18
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@JRomulus wrote:

I saw this post regarding the Chase Marriott co-branded card and had to add my experience.

Although I've been dutifully gardening for about 6 months, my company just changed the preferred (required) hotel near my plant from Hilton to Marriott due to a better corp. rate.  So I saw the deal on the Chase Marriott  Rewards card, and lifted the freeze on my TU file and apped last week.

When I called to ask (identity verification she said) she did indicate that "they will need about 7 - 10 days to make a decision but I'm recommending approval". 

I let it go at that cause it sounded positive.  A few days later, my status on the Marriott Rewards member page went from "member" to "Silver" so I thought "cool I just got a nice Chase card".

(Chase has never really shown me much love over the years even though it's my family's primary bank.)

Called the  Chase application status line recently and the recording changed to "Approved, new credit line of $20K ". 

Wow.  My first $20K card, and I never would have guessed it would have been Chase. 

Twice the 2 lines that Amex has given me and $5K more than my Citi MC. So the credit line decisions really must take a potential cardholder's other lines into consideration.  WIth that decision they grabbed a prime slot in my wallet.  (and no foreign transaction fees either, the only reason I was keeping a small CL Capital One card with AF).

I do wonder how much input the Brands really have on these types of decisions.  I bet their input is their ability to see their ideal customer.  For a hotel, a traveling salesman would have to be a prime target.  So, hello Marriott!  I will spend a good chunk of my 80 nights this year with you.

Have you thought about apping in the future for the Ritz Carlton card? If you push through 10k a year, you can maintain gold status with both Marriott and Ritz. This would give you room upgrades and free breakfasts, among other things.

I'm not sure how much this matters to you otherwise, because given your travel patterns you might be able to hit gold just by stays.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 15 of 18
JRomulus
Regular Contributor

That's an interesting possibility. So many cards, so little time... ha ha.

I used to be exclusively Hilton (Diamond), and last Dec. was trying to figure out who to make my number 2 hotel chain, and my company really made that decision for me. 

I don't stay at the Ritz very often (and would not want to make waves on my T&E) but $10K spend is not much at all for that status.  There are undoubtedly more and more AF cards and higher priced AF cards these days.  I keep a list of how much I spend on AF's and with this card now will cut 2 of them if they don't agree to waive the fee.

I will say that the Marriott program has plenty of promo's for free nights and the card gives you a free Cat 5 room stay per year that really negates the $85 AF, along with the automatic silver status. I give them credit they gave me silver status within 48 hours of my apping, a full week before they made it official. 

I can see where maxing card spend can get crazy.  Aside from the hotel $ which go on their respective co-branded cards, the Amex PR Gold gets the first $30K for the 15K MR point bonus; then the Citi Exec MC gets the next $40K for the 10,000 Elite miles and 40,000+ AA miles.  Then who knows. 

Message 16 of 18
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

It's definitely worth looking into, if you can manage the 10k spend. Gold at Ritz will also give you gold at Marriott, and the benefits are actually quite good. Otherwise it's really hard to get gold as you need 50 nights per year (you can't get it through stays).

The card also has some other perks like $200 back on airline incidentals, Priority Pass Select, JPM Concierge, etc. In many ways its similar to Amex platinum, only the $200 can be spread across any number of airlines. You don't have to declare it upfront.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 17 of 18
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Congrats!! Very nice line Jayson!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.