Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting USAA Tidbit

tag
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

Interesting USAA Tidbit

Well, was told today that although I have a credit profile that would support more than one card with USAA, it looks like given the fact I am not a full member I am restricted to having only one card open at a time with USAA. The rep couldn't tell me when that went into effect (back in the day I had more than one card open at a time). Anyhow, just an FYI for those non full members out there.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Kree
Established Contributor

Re: Interesting USAA Tidbit

What makes a person a "full" or a "partial" member?   Never heard of this before.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kree wrote:

What makes a person a "full" or a "partial" member?   Never heard of this before.

A full member is one that is eligible for USAA's insurance. You are a full member if you served in the military; you had a parent that served in the military, and had an insurance policy with USAA and therefore passed USAA membership to you. Also, if you are married to a full USAA member that makes you a full member as well.

A partial member is one that was able to join USAA for banking products only. Between (I believe) 2009 and September 2013 USAA opened up their banking products to everybody. As a partial member the banking products were available but not insurance. 

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very interesting. Im retired Army and have been with USAA forever, but had no idea that they had partial memberships with restricted bennies.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe that went into effect around 2/2013. I was approved for a CC in 1/2013 and the next month I received a letter that their rules for card membership changed and since I was not an actual member, and at the time did not have a qualified way in, I could not use any of their other services. If I were to close the account, I would be unable to apply for another card unless full membership was established.
Message 5 of 12
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Kree wrote:

A full member is one that is eligible for USAA's insurance. You are a full member if you served in the military; you had a parent that served in the military, and had an insurance policy with USAA and therefore passed USAA membership to you. Also, if you are married to a full USAA member that makes you a full member as well.

A partial member is one that was able to join USAA for banking products only. Between (I believe) 2009 and September 2013 USAA opened up their banking products to everybody. As a partial member the banking products were available but not insurance. 

I'm in yet a third category... I have a military connection through my grandparent (who I helped purchase an insurance policy before he passed) but until my father purchases a policy I'm something they call an "ABC" member - "Anything But Casualty", i.e. I can't buy insurance until my father does, but once that happens I'll be considered 'full'.

IMO their membership is rather convoluted and could/should be simplified, but I guess it's working for them.

I am familiar with the no-military connection 'partial' membership as well, since that's how I started out in 2012 (before I helped my grandfather join).  I also got the letter back in 2013 that if I were to close my checking account I wouldn't be permitted to open a new one, although now that I have an 'in' through my grandfather that no longer applies.

I have no idea if there's a limit on bankcards at my level or not although I do have two, with the second one (Limitless Visa Signature) added last January.  I won't be trying my luck with a card #3 (I'm certain to be close to my exposure limit with them in any case due to income).

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

And their insurance products are not the greatest.  For me, Geico beats their quotes for vehicle coverage and Progressive beats their condo coverage. YMMV.  However, I do like their banking products.

Message 7 of 12
EJMiv
Valued Member

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Kree wrote:

I'm in yet a third category... I have a military connection through my grandparent (who I helped purchase an insurance policy before he passed) but until my father purchases a policy I'm something they call an "ABC" member - "Anything But Casualty", i.e. I can't buy insurance until my father does, but once that happens I'll be considered 'full'.

IMO their membership is rather convoluted and could/should be simplified, but I guess it's working for them.

I am familiar with the no-military connection 'partial' membership as well, since that's how I started out in 2012 (before I helped my grandfather join).  I also got the letter back in 2013 that if I were to close my checking account I wouldn't be permitted to open a new one, although now that I have an 'in' through my grandfather that no longer applies.

I have no idea if there's a limit on bankcards at my level or not although I do have two, with the second one (Limitless Visa Signature) added last January.  I won't be trying my luck with a card #3 (I'm certain to be close to my exposure limit with them in any case due to income).

Hey UncleB...USAA employee here. The requirement that your father carries full insurance in order to make you a full member was removed in November 2016. Try calling in to get your eligibility upgraded. 😁

Anyone can be an ABC member now, but it still excludes banking products too.

Message 8 of 12
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@EJMiv wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Kree wrote:

Hey UncleB...USAA employee here. The requirement that your father carries full insurance in order to make you a full member was removed in November 2016. Try calling in to get your eligibility upgraded. 😁

Anyone can be an ABC member now, but it still excludes banking products too.

Wow... that's a game-changer for me!  Thanks for the update, @EJMivSmiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 12
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Just closing the loop... @EJMiv, you were right, things have changed with USAA membership. Smiley Happy

I didn't even have to call in; I was able to get a quote for auto insurance online!  In the past when I would try I would get a default "Thanks for your interest..." message, but I'm now able to go all the way through.  I was also pleasantly surprised at their rate for my car; when the time is right for me to make a change they'll definitely get my business.  Smiley Happy

Thanks for the heads-up, and I'm sure this information will be helpful to others as well!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.