Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting about AMEX lates...

tag
ArisGreek
Frequent Contributor

Interesting about AMEX lates...

So I just logged in to AMEX and went to schedule my payment for my JetBlue AMEX only to find that it was due on 10/4 not 10/7!!! I've never made this mistake EVER. So I frantically called AMEX. The rep said, "Oh don't worry sir, we do not report until 120 days so AMEX is a bit generous in that respect. We will waive your late fee, take a payment over the phone, and I will assure you no penalty APR will affect you at all." I'm like, "really? You guys rock!" She continued on saying, "Not to worry, it happens once in a while and since you've been with us for almost 4 years, always pay in full for the most part, and have multiple products with us we are more than happy to assist you." 

This makes me feel good. Phew Smiley Happy

===========
TU: 745(TU98) | EQ: 774 | EX: ? | NO BADDIES!
What's in my wallet? AMEX Platinum, United Presidential Plus World Elite MC, AMEX JetBlue, Nordstrom Visa Sig, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, AMEX Zync, Citi AAdvantage Plat Select Visa, Banana Republic, Home Depot
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: Interesting about AMEX lates...

I have always found Amex customer service good.  Just my opinion

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 15
CS800
Super Contributor

Being in the rebuilding mode what i do is put remonder in my outlook on all my due dates for each account at least 5 days before i get a reminder.

But being now paranoid about not having lates, I also keep a piece of paper that I literally look at everyday and it has my due dates for each account.

FICO PTSD does have its advantages Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

The pay by date online is NOT your actual payment due date. Your due date is usually one day before your closing date.

Message 4 of 15
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The pay by date online is NOT your actual payment due date. Your due date is usually one day before your closing date.

Folklore?  Had heard something like this before but when I posted a thread about it, the overall consensus was the due is the date.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

How could you have a due date before your closing date... <<<< confused.

My last statement from AMEX closed on Sep 23rd, and it had a Due date of exactly 2 weeks later October 7th.....so I paid on September 24th, just to show good payment history...but I don't feel I would have been in the wrong to pay by October 7th, since it says that on my statement..

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is just one of the reasons I always pay any CC I use during the month 3 days before the due date, and I mean 1 month before the actuall due date, I pay before the due date and NEVER use the card between the due date and the closing date, this is the way I keep just one CC reporting a small balance on my reports and stay one month ahead of my actuall due date.

So even if I did not make a payment on the due date, the worst that could happen (assuming I forgot to pay before the closing date) is that it would report a balance on my reports.

I hope that makes any sense to you.

Example:

My BoA due date is the 9th of October, the closing is the 12th, say I use the card on the 13th of October, my payment is not due until Dec 9th not November because I waited till after the closing date, BUT, I will pay the card the 6th of November just to avoid a balance reporting to the CRA's and I do this with all my CC's with the exception of one that I allow to report a small balance to keep me at 1% util. It's sometimes a PITA (especially with 11 CC's) but I have gotten into such a routine it's almost become uh easy. The whole entire reason I do this is so I can manage how my util reports as well as so I have only the one CC report a small bal. (I am really bad about this) I keep my scores "maxed" every month, I am so concerned about this I am driven to do it this way.

I do not use all 11 CC's every month but I do use at least 4, alternating each month to keep them all active and happy.

Sorry for the long winded post, I tend to get carried away.

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@score_building wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Folklore?  Had heard something like this before but when I posted a thread about it, the overall consensus was the due is the date.

Call Amex and ask instead of reading what people think. When I talked to them 8 or 9 months ago about this very issue, it is what they told me. My statement closes on the 27th, by "due date" is the 13th of the next month, but have until the 26th to pay before its considered late. Its not folklore.

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My last statement from AMEX closed on Sep 23rd, and it had a Due date of exactly 2 weeks later October 7th.....so I paid on September 24th, just to show good payment history...but I don't feel I would have been in the wrong to pay by October 7th, since it says that on my statement..

You could have payed one day before your next closing date of the next month and it would be the same as paying one day after your closing date in the current month.

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My last statement from AMEX closed on Sep 23rd, and it had a Due date of exactly 2 weeks later October 7th.....so I paid on September 24th, so whatever amount you owed was reported, because you payed after the closing date. Not a bad thing, maybe you just don't play the util and let just one CC report a bal thing (I'm obsessed I know LOL) just to show good payment history...but I don't feel I would have been in the wrong to pay by October 7th, since it says that on my statement..

This to me is very odd, I have 4 AmEx cards...

AmEx Optima Platinum Due Date 14th, now the closing date changes every month (according to how many days are in the month) it was the 19th for Sep. Normally between the 19th and 22 (I don't understand this card's closing date at all)

AmEx Blue Cash Due Date 22nd, closing date 27th

AmEx PR Gold The due date is the closing date 15th (I just called a few weeks ago and asked AmEx about my due date, being this is a charge card, was told my due date is the closing date, I always PIF no later than the 12th to avoid a bal reporting. My guess is if you pay on the closing date is that whatever bal you have will report, I may be wrong, but I feel more comfortable paying 3 days before the closing date.

AmEx Blue Cash Preferred, have not received the card yet, should be here tomorrow

BoA Due Date 9th, closing date 12th

Discover Due Date 1st, closing date 6th

Barclays Due Date 9th, closing date 12th

Cap1 Due Date 19th, closing date 25th

Cap 1 Due Date 11th, closing date 15th

HSBC Due Date 1st, closing date 5th

GEMB Due Date 16th, closing date 20th

Some of these cards closing dates may vary based of how many days are in the month, but they only vary by a day or two either way.

All of my CC's due dates are before the closing date, except my PR Gold, the closing date is the due date (at least what the AmEx rep told me) Whats funny is I've never seen a due date on any of my AmEx cards (online acct) because I'm always a month ahead, it always says "Payment Not Required"  But I know the due dates because I've called and asked.

I also know these are the dates my CCC's report because I monitor my CR's like a hawk, naturally EX, EQ and TU don't all get updated the same day, EX seems to always be the first then EQ then slow as molasses TU.

I was just puzzled as to why you asked "How could you have a due date before your closing date... <<<< confused." When all my CC's have due dates before the closing date, I would think this is the way it should be, if you're like me (and I'm sure there are a LOT of MyFicoers that do play the util game) if the closing date was before the due date all of us (who play the util game) would have to pay before our payment was even due to keep controll how and what gets reported, so what would the use of a due date be? Might as well call the closing date the due date then.

Just my opinion.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.