cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting experience with American Express today.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting experience with American Express today.

Yesterday I tried to use my Everyday Preferred to buy an IPad Air 2 in Best Buy online because they are $100 off and I got email after the order was completed from Best Buy stating that there was an issue with my card and to try again. I did and got another error message so this time I changed it to my PRG card and it went right thru.  Both cards I've only had for a week and have used them a couple times without issue.  First thing this morning I get an email from AE's Identity Protection team telling me that I needed to call them so I did and waited 40 minutes on hold before a rep came on.  He told me that they needed to verify my identity and the way that they wanted to do it by placing a call to the phone number they had on file for me.  I said great so you're going to call 240-xxx-xxxx which is my cell number and the number I put on my application for the card.  He said that wasn't the number that they had on file and that they could only call the one that they did.  I told him that the only other number anyone could have for me is 301-xxx-xxxx which is my home number and he said that's the one they needed to call.

i explained to him that I never use that number and the only reason I have it is because it's part of a package deal with my cable company and I only use it for faxes as its hooked up to my all in one printer and that I didn't even have a way to take a call because I didn't have any phone to use with it.  He explained that he was sorry but that they could only call me on that number.   I said great and I guess I'll have to figure something out and call you back. I eventually dug around in some old boxes I kept stuff in in my basement and came across a portable phone system that I had not used in 7 years.  I wasn't sure if it will still charge up and work but after hooking it up it powered right up and I was able to call them back and about 30 minutes later they called and verified I was indeed me.  Frustrating but I appreciate their commitment o security on new accounts.  In the future they will call me on my cell phone if anything comes up.  No idea why they had my home number on file.  Guess it was some credit report.  Oh well.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Interesting experience with American Express today.

@Anonymous wrote:

Yesterday I tried to use my Everyday Preferred to buy an IPad Air 2 in Best Buy online because they are $100 off and I got email after the order was completed from Best Buy stating that there was an issue with my card and to try again. I did and got another error message so this time I changed it to my PRG card and it went right thru.  Both cards I've only had for a week and have used them a couple times without issue.  First thing this morning I get an email from AE's Identity Protection team telling me that I needed to call them so I did and waited 40 minutes on hold before a rep came on.  He told me that they needed to verify my identity and the way that they wanted to do it by placing a call to the phone number they had on file for me.  I said great so you're going to call 240-xxx-xxxx which is my cell number and the number I put on my application for the card.  He said that wasn't the number that they had on file and that they could only call the one that they did.  I told him that the only other number anyone could have for me is 301-xxx-xxxx which is my home number and he said that's the one they needed to call.

i explained to him that I never use that number and the only reason I have it is because it's part of a package deal with my cable company and I only use it for faxes as its hooked up to my all in one printer and that I didn't even have a way to take a call because I didn't have any phone to use with it.  He explained that he was sorry but that they could only call me on that number.   I said great and I guess I'll have to figure something out and call you back. I eventually dug around in some old boxes I kept stuff in in my basement and came across a portable phone system that I had not used in 7 years.  I wasn't sure if it will still charge up and work but after hooking it up it powered right up and I was able to call them back and about 30 minutes later they called and verified I was indeed me.  Frustrating but I appreciate their commitment o security on new accounts.  In the future they will call me on my cell phone if anything comes up.  No idea why they had my home number on file.  Guess it was some credit report.  Oh well.

Wow.. It was a good thing you had the other card.  I have never heard this before so thanks for sharing...

Message 2 of 8
NRB525
Super Contributor

I don't use my landline either, and make sure I never give it out. I've been fortunate no CCC have been "creative" to find that number for me, and take my word for it that my Cell number is my Real number.

Congratulations on saving $100 Smiley Happy It was well earned.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 8
elim
Senior Contributor

yeah i had to jump thru hoops with my 1st AU purchase at overstock with PRG. it was $1500 and i had to call 3 times to clear the charge. then they called me back 2 days later to verify it again.

Message 4 of 8
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for sharing, it is frustrating.  I already posted my experience elsewhere, but here is it.

I opted for temp number upon approval because I was going to use it for an online purchase.  I attempt to purchase the gift from Walmart and when I put in the acct #, it warned me to verify the 4 digit security code and I did.  Another warning, so I do it a 3rd time, same result.   I log onto Amex and it shows 3 pending transactions (2 separate for 1 dollar, which I am familiar with the first time a card is used and then 130 dollars).  Walmart online still showed the item in the cart and the purchase not completed.  I call Walmart and they tell me that Amex hasn't approved the purchase yet.  I chat online with Amex and they say it is Walmart's issue because it was approved.  Amex rep tells me to re-contact with Walmart and try again, so I did.  Same thing again.  Now I have 5 total pending charges, all which count towards the limit.  I chat online with Amex and the rep says Walmart hasn't completed the sale and that the pending charges will cancel out in 24-48 hours.  I call Walmart and talk to finance and they say that Amex is refusing the payment and even provided me with a series of codes to prove to Amex.  This time I call Amex and speak to a hard to understand foreign dialect who assured me that I don't need to worry about fraud blah, blah, blah.  I tell him that I am the one trying to make the purchase so I know it isn't fraud I just need to find out the issue.  He tells me that the pending charges will come off in 24-48 hours and maybe there is an issue with the temp. account number, but dosen't check into it.  He is not interested in any codes from Walmart, so whatever.  I am beyond frustrated so I give up.  The next day I decide to log on and still see the pending charges on the account so I chat again.  The rep now tells me it will take 8 days before it will cancel the pending charges.  I tell him what each rep has said thus far and he just apologizes.  So, I simply opted to use another rewards card for the purchase.

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@VirtualCuriosity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for sharing, it is frustrating.  I already posted my experience elsewhere, but here is it.

I opted for temp number upon approval because I was going to use it for an online purchase.  I attempt to purchase the gift from Walmart and when I put in the acct #, it warned me to verify the 4 digit security code and I did.  Another warning, so I do it a 3rd time, same result.   I log onto Amex and it shows 3 pending transactions (2 separate for 1 dollar, which I am familiar with the first time a card is used and then 130 dollars).  Walmart online still showed the item in the cart and the purchase not completed.  I call Walmart and they tell me that Amex hasn't approved the purchase yet.  I chat online with Amex and they say it is Walmart's issue because it was approved.  Amex rep tells me to re-contact with Walmart and try again, so I did.  Same thing again.  Now I have 5 total pending charges, all which count towards the limit.  I chat online with Amex and the rep says Walmart hasn't completed the sale and that the pending charges will cancel out in 24-48 hours.  I call Walmart and talk to finance and they say that Amex is refusing the payment and even provided me with a series of codes to prove to Amex.  This time I call Amex and speak to a hard to understand foreign dialect who assured me that I don't need to worry about fraud blah, blah, blah.  I tell him that I am the one trying to make the purchase so I know it isn't fraud I just need to find out the issue.  He tells me that the pending charges will come off in 24-48 hours and maybe there is an issue with the temp. account number, but dosen't check into it.  He is not interested in any codes from Walmart, so whatever.  I am beyond frustrated so I give up.  The next day I decide to log on and still see the pending charges on the account so I chat again.  The rep now tells me it will take 8 days before it will cancel the pending charges.  I tell him what each rep has said thus far and he just apologizes.  So, I simply opted to use another rewards card for the purchase.

Wow, that had to be frustrating.  

Message 6 of 8
cluelessoregonguy
Contributor

wow I'm not sure I'd be able to trust them anymore. Sounds really annoying.

Message 7 of 8
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

I never used a temp number. They told me I had to wait for the card, since new customer. And yes, the pending charges stay on for a week, unless the charge goes through (which is what the previous rep probably thought).
Signature needs updating
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.