Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting fact for those of you struggling with credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting fact for those of you struggling with credit

I am moving, so that involves going through a lot of junk and throwing stuff away.  I found a letter on my desk (don't ask how trashed my desk is) from last April, it was a rejection notice from Citi for a credit card.  I cannot remember if that was what made me sign up for monitoring my fico or not, but I did start monitoring my score last April as well.  Last week Citi approved me for a Thank You Visa with a 6k limit.  So responsible action and constantly monitoring your report/score like a hawk does have benefits and can definitely help Smiley Happy

I would even go so far as to say that by taking such an interest in your score it helps to encourage you to act even more responsibly, or at least reminds you to do so.

Just trying to give a little encouragement to those of you struggling, after all I went from a rejection to an approval and my highest CL in one year Smiley Very Happy

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: Interesting fact for those of you struggling with credit

@Anonymous wrote:

I am moving, so that involves going through a lot of junk and throwing stuff away.  I found a letter on my desk (don't ask how trashed my desk is) from last April, it was a rejection notice from Citi for a credit card.  I cannot remember if that was what made me sign up for monitoring my fico or not, but I did start monitoring my score last April as well.  Last week Citi approved me for a Thank You Visa with a 6k limit.  So responsible action and constantly monitoring your report/score like a hawk does have benefits and can definitely help Smiley Happy

I would even go so far as to say that by taking such an interest in your score it helps to encourage you to act even more responsibly, or at least reminds you to do so.

Just trying to give a little encouragement to those of you struggling, after all I went from a rejection to an approval and my highest CL in one year Smiley Very Happy

I agree that responsible action has it benefits.

I think it is nonsense to claim that taking an interest in your score and monitoring your score has any effect.    The CC companies don't know or care if you know your score or monitor it, when they make their decisions.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

No the don't care, but it does have an effect.  By gaining knowledge and seeing the results (both positive and negative) of your actions you do improve your scores on your own.  Knowledge helps you as well, because by learning all the ins and outs you are enabled with the ability to improve your score and history.  The end result is that you are more likely to get credit that you want.

Message 3 of 14
NikJ4
Established Contributor

@Wolf3 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think it is nonsense to claim that taking an interest in your score and monitoring your score has any effect.    The CC companies don't know or care if you know your score or monitor it, when they make their decisions.

That was a little rough (IMO). I think the OP was saying something a little different than what you may have read into it.

Good Job OP for the major steps you have made. Congrats and keep up the good work.

Message 4 of 14
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Wolf3 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No, but YOU do. And seeing how certain actions affect your score can influence the decisions that you make about how you handle your credit. Do you see that apping for everything in site dings you? Well, then you may think twice before hitting the submit button on a card that you don't really need. Starting to get lax about util and watching your scores drop? It's possible that you may be motivated to avoid an unnecessary purchase and focus on getting cards paid off. So, being aware of your credit standing may very well have an influence that helps motivate you to behave responsibly and thus reap the benefits.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 5 of 14
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

@Wolf3 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

While some CC companies don't know or care, others actually do.  Just this past weekend, I applied for a US Air CC through Barclays a month after opening an Apple Barclays CC (which I had called the recon number and got increased from $1400 to $2400).  I got the 7-10 message and intended to call them Monday.  They called me first and the woman I spoke to really emphasized the fact that it appeared like I had been working very hard over the past several years (since my bankruptcy in 2005) to improve my credit.  She then told me that I had been approved for $2500 and asked me if I would like to have it reset to $3500.  I know it is not the norm, but I was really impressed by this. 

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 6 of 14
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@tinuviel wrote:

@Wolf3 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No, but YOU do. And seeing how certain actions affect your score can influence the decisions that you make about how you handle your credit. Do you see that apping for everything in site dings you? Well, then you may think twice before hitting the submit button on a card that you don't really need. Starting to get lax about util and watching your scores drop? It's possible that you may be motivated to avoid an unnecessary purchase and focus on getting cards paid off. So, being aware of your credit standing may very well have an influence that helps motivate you to behave responsibly and thus reap the benefits.

No I do not care about constantly knowing my score.   I understand how it scoring works, I use my annual reports and I get copies when I get a denial.  I juice my score with low utilization for applications. That is enough for me.   

I understand that others find this helpful and motivating.   I think many here find it compulsively addictive.

But, Good financial behavior is enough to build credit.   IMO, the rest is not worth the trouble or expense.   

Message 7 of 14
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Wolf3 wrote:

@tinuviel wrote:

@Wolf3 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No I do not care about constantly knowing my score.   I understand how it scoring works, I use my annual reports and I get copies when I get a denial.  I juice my score with low utilization for applications. That is enough for me.   

I understand that others find this helpful and motivating.   I think many here find it compulsively addictive.

But, Good financial behavior is enough to build credit.   IMO, the rest is not worth the trouble or expense.   

To be clear, I meant "YOU" in the generic sense, not necessarily you personally. Different people motivate differently, and for some, this can influence behavior. The statement highlighted in blue shows that we have agreement on that point. Therefore, I think that it's not accurate to say that "it is nonsense to claim that taking an interest in your score and monitoring your score has any effect," as this will depend upon the individual... definitely a YMMV sort of thing.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 8 of 14
ReBuildingAgn
Regular Contributor

While some CC companies don't know or care, others actually do.  Just this past weekend, I applied for a US Air CC through Barclays a month after opening an Apple Barclays CC (which I had called the recon number and got increased from $1400 to $2400).  I got the 7-10 message and intended to call them Monday.  They called me first and the woman I spoke to really emphasized the fact that it appeared like I had been working very hard over the past several years (since my bankruptcy in 2005) to improve my credit.  She then told me that I had been approved for $2500 and asked me if I would like to have it reset to $3500.  I know it is not the norm, but I was really impressed by this. 

When I applied for my Barclays rewards card 3 weeks ago, my CSR said the same thing. I had multiple COs and Collections in 2006.

;Starting Score: Low 500s FICO Aug 2008
Current Score: EQ 668 EX 723 TU 723 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 720s Across the Board! Almost there!

Cap1 NHR ($1250), GE Rooms2Go ($4k), WalMart Discover ($3250), Barclay's Rewards MC ($2k), Amex BCE ($5K), Kohl's ($1K), Chase Freedom ($3K), Discover More ($1K)
Message 9 of 14
drkaje
Senior Contributor

I've got to partially agree with Howlin'. Smiley Happy

There's a thin line between intelligently maximizing ones score and obsession. Someone living or dying by their score has crossed it. I'm not talking about leading up to a mortgage where another point or two would get the best rate, LOL! In the bigger picture, someone with properly managed credit/finances wouldn't have to worry that much.

I monitor a lot. Student loans are coming up and I have to be properly positioned. Also, after rebuilding it's nice to see an almost clean report. I really don't want or need more credit cards, though. I can't understand why people apply for everything under the sun, like addicts, or convince themselves higher credit limits will solve the problem of overspending.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.