Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting info from AMEX.....

tag
CreditControl
Contributor

Interesting info from AMEX.....

First, for those of you who kept up with my app spree of last week, I received my AMEX Delta Gold yesterday and today was the 6th day of my AMEX BCE app "in progress" so  I called to speak with a rep as previously instructed and was approved for $9,900!!!!!  Ex-ci-ting.

So I decided to just mention my low (2k) limit for the Delta Gold and what the rep had to say was interesting (to me).  He said that most often the first app will be approved at a lower limit.  I assumed it was the difference in products/cards but he said that only plays a small part.  He also said that I can request CLI for BOTH cards after 61 days.  I confirmed and he said absolutely.  Everything I had read thus far said request CLI on only one.

Question:  Has anyone attempted a CLI with AMEX on two different cards at the same time?

CSP - 11,000 Chase Freedom 12,000; AMEX Delta Gold 2,000; AMEX Delta Platinum (AU) 15,000; Discover IT 9,500; BOA Cash Rewards 30,000; AMEX BCE 9,900; Belk 7,000; Macys 7,000; Lane Bryant 3,600; HH Gregg 3,000; Care Credit; 7,200; Bloomingdale's 3,000
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Interesting info from AMEX.....

@CreditControl wrote:

First, for those of you who kept up with my app spree of last week, I received my AMEX Delta Gold yesterday and today was the 6th day of my AMEX BCE app "in progress" so  I called to speak with a rep as previously instructed and was approved for $9,900!!!!!  Ex-ci-ting.

So I decided to just mention my low (2k) limit for the Delta Gold and what the rep had to say was interesting (to me).  He said that most often the first app will be approved at a lower limit.  I assumed it was the difference in products/cards but he said that only plays a small part.  He also said that I can request CLI for BOTH cards after 61 days.  I confirmed and he said absolutely.  Everything I had read thus far said request CLI on only one.

Question:  Has anyone attempted a CLI with AMEX on two different cards at the same time?

would be nice but he is pulling thoughts from the air like the rest of the reps.

My partner got Costco for $7500 initial and his blue was only $2k and that was over a year apart and costco was at $18,200 when blue was approved.

my father had $16k optima way back in 2000 and it was $25k when he applied for his 3rd amex/2nd credit card product and it was initially approved for $10k

and time and time again the credit line increase policy has been tested and it's 1 at 61 and all others at 6 months unless... i don't think that policy has changed since i knew in 2000 (and I didn't know about the 61 day, but it wouldn't let you ask on multiple... but you could move them around instantly online... wish they would bring that back!

Actually come to think of it the only time I have seen 2nd apps really approved higher then first is when someone hasn't ever really requested increases on the first card, has had the first card LONG time and not really done much with it, or just huge changes in credit from first card approval and they went for a 2nd card instead of more cli on first.

Message 2 of 18
CreditControl
Contributor

Thanks CreditAddict - I thought that "first one lower limit" statement was a bit questionable.  As for the 61 day CLI I will play it safe and only request one - most likely Delta Skymiles since my next CLI request for BCE will likely (hopefully!) be my last.

CSP - 11,000 Chase Freedom 12,000; AMEX Delta Gold 2,000; AMEX Delta Platinum (AU) 15,000; Discover IT 9,500; BOA Cash Rewards 30,000; AMEX BCE 9,900; Belk 7,000; Macys 7,000; Lane Bryant 3,600; HH Gregg 3,000; Care Credit; 7,200; Bloomingdale's 3,000
Message 3 of 18
bribro
Valued Contributor

@CreditControl wrote:

So I decided to just mention my low (2k) limit for the Delta Gold and what the rep had to say was interesting (to me).  He said that most often the first app will be approved at a lower limit. 

Did you get instant approval on the Delta Gold?

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 4 of 18
CreditControl
Contributor

@bribro wrote:

@CreditControl wrote:

So I decided to just mention my low (2k) limit for the Delta Gold and what the rep had to say was interesting (to me).  He said that most often the first app will be approved at a lower limit. 

I did...

Message 5 of 18
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

The first thing isn't true for me and a lot of people. The second is also not true as each cardmember can only request one credit limit increase every six months. Even if one is personal and the other is business, if you are the primary on more than one card, then those cards are all restricted to the one increase every six months rule.

Message 6 of 18
Capya
New Contributor

I recently got BCE, and was given $12,500 (exp 767)
A week later, I got Blue Sky - $15,000 (exp 751)

So.. first ap lower limit happens sometimes I guess

Starting Score: 573 (Exp 10/12)
Current Score: 767 (Exp 6/13)
Goal Score: 700+ I Crushed it!!!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 18
bribro
Valued Contributor

@CreditControl wrote:

@bribro wrote:

@CreditControl wrote:

I did...

This doesn't make any sense to me. When you were instantly approved, it's not like they were able to read your mind and know a second app was coming shortly thereafter. And it doesn't make any sense to give you a low limit on one card and a higher one on a different card just a couple of days later. Logically, it should be the other way around. Weird.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 8 of 18
CreditControl
Contributor

@bribro wrote:

@CreditControl wrote:

@bribro wrote:

@CreditControl wrote:

I did...

This doesn't make any sense to me. When you were instantly approved, it's not like they were able to read your mind and know a second app was coming shortly thereafter. And it doesn't make any sense to give you a low limit on one card and a higher one on a different card just a couple of days later. Logically, it should be the other way around. Weird.

My sentiments exactly.  I could see IF it were months later and I had a little history for them to evaluate....

Message 9 of 18
Moleman_H
Established Member

The rep is right on a technicallity. You can request a CLI on both. You can also request that they give you a pony. Doesn't mean that AMEX will approve the request though.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.