Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting phone chat with Amex rep

tag
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

Interesting phone chat with Amex rep

My wife and I have newish TrueEarnings cards from Amex through Costco. They are unique in that they contain different account numbers. While our online acct shows all activity on both cards, only my card number shows as the account holder. It made me question if the discount offers that we see at the bottom of the page were available to both cards, so I called them.

After hearing the recorded message that they are busier than usual and how to use their website and that there will be a long delay, a rep answered within 15 seconds as I suspected would happen. Seems more and more they are trying to steer you anywhere and everywhere except talking directly to a CSR. 

Immediately, I could tell english was not her first language, but no problem she spoke well. I explained how my wife and I share an acct but with different acct numbers and wanted to know how the accts differed related to purchases and offers. She says, "can you hold".  Comes back with my wifes account isn't available for any discounted offers. I ask, you mean outside Costco, right? She says, "can you hold". Comes back with you need to contact Costco for that. I reiterated, does her card get 3% rebates on gas at Costco and outside costco? She says, "can you hold".  Comes back saying only my card was good at the pump and telling me to call Costco again. I said, do you mean I have to let me wife use my card at the gas pumps?  At this point, I didn't feel I was asking tough questions, they must be common ones, specific to Amex, and asked to speak with a supervisor as I felt she must be new and in training with all the time she put me on hold. She almost talked over me and again told me to call Costco. I gently hung up without saying good-bye, but didnt make noise. 

I did the tabulations for the 2 prior months and my wifes card is getting the gas rebates at Costco but hasn't yet used it outside Costco. But man, what horrible/strange customer service that was! I realize there is a learning curve, but when I asked to speak to a supervisor, I feel I should have been accorded. I understand my wife's card is excluded from special offers, I'm still not completely sure my wifes card with get rebates gas/food/ect. outside Costco itself.  

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Interesting phone chat with Amex rep

@Turbobuick wrote:

My wife and I have newish TrueEarnings cards from Amex through Costco. They are unique in that they contain different account numbers. While our online acct shows all activity on both cards, only my card number shows as the account holder. It made me question if the discount offers that we see at the bottom of the page were available to both cards, so I called them.

After hearing the recorded message that they are busier than usual and how to use their website and that there will be a long delay, a rep answered within 15 seconds as I suspected would happen. Seems more and more they are trying to steer you anywhere and everywhere except talking directly to a CSR. 

Immediately, I could tell english was not her first language, but no problem she spoke well. I explained how my wife and I share an acct but with different acct numbers and wanted to know how the accts differed related to purchases and offers. She says, "can you hold".  Comes back with my wifes account isn't available for any discounted offers. I ask, you mean outside Costco, right? She says, "can you hold". Comes back with you need to contact Costco for that. I reiterated, does her card get 3% rebates on gas at Costco and outside costco? She says, "can you hold".  Comes back saying only my card was good at the pump and telling me to call Costco again. I said, do you mean I have to let me wife use my card at the gas pumps?  At this point, I didn't feel I was asking tough questions, they must be common ones, specific to Amex, and asked to speak with a supervisor as I felt she must be new and in training with all the time she put me on hold. She almost talked over me and again told me to call Costco. I gently hung up without saying good-bye, but didnt make noise. 

I did the tabulations for the 2 prior months and my wifes card is getting the gas rebates at Costco but hasn't yet used it outside Costco. But man, what horrible/strange customer service that was! I realize there is a learning curve, but when I asked to speak to a supervisor, I feel I should have been accorded. I understand my wife's card is excluded from special offers, I'm still not completely sure my wifes card with get rebates gas/food/ect. outside Costco itself.  

The AU card should receive the same benefits that the primary card has.

Message 2 of 12
s_haliz
Valued Contributor

@KennyRS wrote:

@Turbobuick wrote:

I agree. I have CapitalOne QS and my wife (authorized user) uses it and she gets the exact same rewards as I get. 

TU FICO 850 | EQ FICO 850 I EX FICO 850
Message 3 of 12
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

@KennyRS wrote:

I think it may be different because of the Costco thing. Every other card we own shares the same acct number except this amex card. I'm primary member and wife is associate member. I mean, this is why I called customer service. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

she can sign up for her own online access for amex and she can click and add her own offers to the card... sometimes they will overlap and sometimes they will be different.

Message 5 of 12
s_haliz
Valued Contributor

@Turbobuick wrote:

@KennyRS wrote:

I think it may be different because of the Costco thing. Every other card we own shares the same acct number except this amex card. I'm primary member and wife is associate member. I mean, this is why I called customer service. Smiley Happy

@Turbobuick wrote:

@KennyRS wrote:

The CapitalOne QS card I have, my number is different than my wife's (she is authorized user) and still we both get rewards. Different number does not have bearing. With different number they can summarize in a statement as to who spend how much (naturally my wife spends more....Smiley Happy

TU FICO 850 | EQ FICO 850 I EX FICO 850
Message 6 of 12
MrFlower
New Contributor

All amx cards have different numbers even for AU's.

Some other issuers use the same number with a diffrient name printed. AMX issues unqiue card numbers for every card.

Message 7 of 12
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

she can sign up for her own online access for amex and she can click and add her own offers to the card... sometimes they will overlap and sometimes they will be different.

Wow, am I feeling sheepish.... Easy Peasy. I just created an acct for her. My wifes not "into" the financial part of our lives even she makes the real money. I got confused by seeing her name on "view others on my acct" button and didn't realize she could have her own. Any knowlegable rep could have told me this in 15 seconds.

I should have known to just come here first for the real facts instead of wasting time and get frustrated/confused with a customer rep.

Thanks everyone!

Message 8 of 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Turbobuick wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

Wow, am I feeling sheepish.... Easy Peasy. I just created an acct for her. My wifes not "into" the financial part of our lives even she makes the real money. I got confused by seeing her name on "view others on my acct" button and didn't realize she could have her own. Any knowlegable rep could have told me this in 15 seconds.

I should have known to just come here first for the real facts instead of wasting time and get frustrated/confused with a customer rep.

Thanks everyone!

that's the frustrating part... I would love a good portion of these jobs at many of these banks and I don't have the qualifications on paper for most of them... go figure!

Message 9 of 12
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Turbobuick wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

Thanks everyone!

that's the frustrating part... I would love a good portion of these jobs at many of these banks and I don't have the qualifications on paper for most of them... go figure!

Sadly, first qualification is living in a 3rd world country. ;p

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.