cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting situation. Need opinions from the experts... or people who know american Express

tag
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Re: Interesting situation. Need opinions from the experts... or people who know american Express

For OP and your friend...

He should close the AMEX accounts.  All of them.  He's obviously not mature enough to handle that kind of credit right now.  Many of us can relate to that...been there/done that/won the T-Shirt !Smiley Sad

Walk away from AMEX.  He's 22.  In 20 years, he will only be 42.  Hopefully by then he'll have learned how to manage credit better, and can reconsider AMEX at that time.

Message 61 of 71
pdog661
Frequent Contributor

Re: Interesting situation. Need opinions from the experts... or people who know American Express

@Jmdurbz wrote:

The 100k was given to him. 

And for your information the 2012 Tax form shows 11k. So this should be interesting

Wow...... So young, and boy is this going to be a life long regret when he grows up.  I would say his AMEX cards are the least of his worries.  He makes 11K a year.  If he works to 65 he is on place to make roughly 450K pre tax.  He just blew 8% of his lifetime net worth on junk.  (maybe nice junk, but junk)  Ofcourse he will gain more income, but the 100K should keep pace if wisely invested.  

He needs out of the plat card now.  He does not justify the 450 year in annual fee.  AMEX is doing this guy favor.  The annual fee is 5% of his annual inncome alone!!!  

He needs to take a financial planner NOW!!!!

Message 62 of 71
Startome
Regular Contributor

Re: Interesting situation. Need opinions from the experts... or people who know American Express

lol I make 14K post tax. It covers necessities and about 15 x 12 = 156 a year in spending money. lol. No way I'd even want a 30K credit limit O.O

Current: EQ FICO 0, TU FICO 0, EX FICO 0 | Starting Score: 0 (08/21/2013)

Starting total revolving credit: $0 | Current total revolving credit: $1600.00

Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 3-4 TU Unsure EX Unsure | Most Recent: 8/19/2013

2013 Goals:
1,000.00 Emergency Fund
1,000.00 Emergency Fund, AGAIN
Mechanically Sound Car
Unsecured Card

Fifth Third $300
U.S. Bank Harley Davidson $300
Capital One Platinum $500
2nd Capital One Platinum $500

Message 63 of 71
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: Interesting situation. Need opinions from the experts... or people who know american Express

@FinStar wrote:
Anyone that I know who's visited Australia has had nothing but the best experience. 

It would be a great place if it were not full of Australians  Smiley Very Happy

(take that with a pinch of salt.  Aussies and Poms love insulting each other)

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 64 of 71
Startome
Regular Contributor

@MidnightVoice wrote:

@FinStar wrote:
Anyone that I know who's visited Australia has had nothing but the best experience. 

Oh goodness. Time to stay out of it.

*grabs popcorn and watches from the sidelines*

Current: EQ FICO 0, TU FICO 0, EX FICO 0 | Starting Score: 0 (08/21/2013)

Starting total revolving credit: $0 | Current total revolving credit: $1600.00

Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 3-4 TU Unsure EX Unsure | Most Recent: 8/19/2013

2013 Goals:
1,000.00 Emergency Fund
1,000.00 Emergency Fund, AGAIN
Mechanically Sound Car
Unsecured Card

Fifth Third $300
U.S. Bank Harley Davidson $300
Capital One Platinum $500
2nd Capital One Platinum $500

Message 65 of 71
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@MidnightVoice wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

Well that's definitely true.

If I wanted to hear another whinging Pom, I'd head down to the shops. I came here to get away from you people! Smiley Happy

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 66 of 71
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Robot Very Happy
@CreditScholar wrote:

@MidnightVoice wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

Well that's definitely true.

If I wanted to hear another whinging Pom, I'd head down to the shops. I came here to get away from you people! Smiley Happy

Now this I've actually have heard about.  Aussies are cool folks...so what's with the Pommies complaining about how awful Australia was/is?

Sorry Lexie...derailed again....LOL  Robot LOL

Message 67 of 71
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 68 of 71
amdm2013
Frequent Contributor

If he has 100K in his account, what I would do, is offer a cash or bank guarantee to Amex and pay off the outstanding. I wouldn't risk losing an Amex

CSP: $20k / BarclayCard WMC: $20k / US Bank Sig: $12k / Diners Club: $10k / Macy's: $10k / CapOne QS: $8k / Sportsman's Visa: $7.5k / Overstock: $7.4k / Citi DP: $3.6k / US Bank LOC: $2.5k / Cabela's: $2k / Bank of Hawaii AmEx: $1.6k / Chase Marriott: $1.5k / Amazon Visa: $500
Message 69 of 71
Jmdurbz
Established Member

UPDATE. 

they didn't change anything but made his NPSL cards more strict. 

21 Year Old, College Student in NYC.

Discover IT - 2000 ; Chase Freedom - 2000 ; American Express GPR - NPSL ; American Express Delta Sky Miles Gold - 6000 ; Chase Saph Pref - 9000 ; Citi Thank You Pref - 9500

Message 70 of 71
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.