cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intro 0% - Float to earn interest in bank account?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Intro 0% - Float to earn interest in bank account?

Okay, one of my new cards is a Visa Signature (Which may not report a credit limit making it not friendly to my utilization scoring). It also has 15 months @ 0% intro. Would floating all but the minimum payment that entire time have any affect on my credit scoring/report in a negative way? In about 6 months I could get the balance close to my credit line. In the meantime I could be earning 3.5% in my rewards checking account. Should make about $90 in 6 months. After that I could then just pay it off every month and keep the utilization much lower (doubt I'd want to keep floating all that money for the full 15 months, though I could earn another $160 or so doing that).

Any downsides to this approach?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Guava
Established Contributor

Re: Intro 0% - Float to earn interest in bank account?

In my opinion, it doesn't matter if you're not looking to acquire more credit in the span of time you're floating that balance. Once you start apping again, having a high balance  may work against you (I'm just assuming you floating a substantial amount, my bad if I'm wrong).

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 17
ChesterPDexter
Established Contributor

Is it really worth all that just to make $90?

Now, my husband spent $4,548.04 of cash-advanced money on a BAC option in December and it's worth $6,650.00 now.  In that case, I believe the no-fee, reasonable-interest (12% APR) interest is worth the transaction.

Senior Contributor

I'd do it, since it does not affect your utilization.

Message 4 of 17
Finance805
Valued Member

Where do you bank that they give you 3.5% interest on a checking account?

Updated Scores (All Pulled 4/9/15) - FICO: Equifax-774 / FICO: Experian-736 / FICO: TransUnion-777
Starting Scores - FICO: Equifax-670 (Pulled 9/2/12) / FICO: Experian-656 (Pulled 10/26/11) / FICO: TransUnion-627 (Pulled 11/14/11)
Message 5 of 17
Open123
Super Contributor

@Finance805 wrote:

I'm interested in this too.

I stand ready to be a new customer of any bank offering 3.5% CD, let alone in a checking account.

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Open123 wrote:

@Finance805 wrote:

I'm interested in this too.

I stand ready to be a new customer of any bank offering 3.5% CD, let alone in a checking account.

It's a rewards checking account at a local credit union. I have to jump thru a few hoops (12 debit card transactions in "credit" mode per month, 1 online login per month, paperless statements, and 1 direct deposit/ACH per month). These type of accounts only earn the higher APY on up to $10-25k, and a much lower rate on the amount above that limit. You can go here to search for nationally (and local - use the filters) available rewards checking accounts: http://www.depositaccounts.com/checking/reward-checking-accounts.html#P|26|10000|false,false,true,tr....

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I missed the part as to how you'd do the BT and avoid the BT fee or get the money into your account ,  otherwise the BT fee would be more than any interest you'd earn.

I know it's not vogue to do these 0% loans to ones self anymore, but I made Crapital One pay  dearly for their 0% interest for life and a $50 fee offer a few years back ..

I wonder how much money that cost em' .

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't do a balance transfer. I would just put large monthly expenses on the card for 15 months or so while paying just the minimum payment.
Message 9 of 17
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I'd take advantage of the 0% as long as you PIF before it expires.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.