Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Investing with credit cards

tag
HiLine
Blogger

Re: Investing with credit cards

This is leveraging. People do it all the time. Some win, and some lose. 2k is not really too much to borrow, and you can easily cover any loss from the risk. If you really want the coin, go for it. Loss is easier to swallow than regret sometimes. 

Message 31 of 36
gen-specific
Frequent Contributor

I've done it, and was unsuccessful with the investment

I've done it and was successful with the investment

always had a plan to pay the credit off, or already had enough to pay the credit off if I wanted to but just wanted to float a balance instead

"don't invest more than you can afford to lose" applies to using retail credit as leverage too

I've done many successful trades and arbitraging

Message 32 of 36
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

It's kind of weird to still see Central Banks across the world, including the ones in U.S.A, China, and Japan all pump trillions of dollars worth of liquidity, and gold has been dropping! Lol this isn't right. It's gotta pop higher!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 33 of 36
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

+1@genspecific
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 34 of 36
Ailee92

Imo listen to yourself.

You only have 2k in savings you can use, and $3,500 in credit limits. I'll be upfront and honest. Unless you have ATLEAST 10-15k in reserves for emergency funds, I wouldn't even dream of this.

Also melt value? How big is this coin that it could get $4,000 worth of gold? It better be bigger than something that the easter bunny would ever bring you imo.

In the end don't put all your eggs in one basket. Even Warren Buffett started with a mere $25 buying a Pinball machine to put into local barbershops. Even before at the age of 5 he purchased a 6 pack of coke and sold it for a nickel each to net a nickel profit. (5cents per pop or 6 for $25)

Message 35 of 36
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@DontEatMyFriends wrote:

Unless you have a guaranteed rate of return on your investment which is greater than the interest you'll be charged, IMO it's not a sound idea.  Especially since you'll be using a considerable amount of your available credit for the purchase.  Investment and CC's just don't mix in my world.  Investments are not guaranteed to net more than your total purchase cost, and they also require time to mature (which adds more volatility).  Even If you break even with the initial cost of 4k, you're still losing the money spent on interest payment for the 2k borrowed.  A financial loss however small, is still a loss.  Just my opinion of course, do with it what you will.

+1

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 36 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.