Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invitation to Amex FR?

tag
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

Invitation to Amex FR?

I'm sure everyone probably got this letter or email. It said that you can charge up to 35k and pay over time.

This is on my Amex Green. I have no intention of doing that since I always treat all my cards like a debit and always PIF.

However, it's good to know that Amex offer some financial kick back for emergency funding for average spender.
2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Invitation to Amex FR?

@armbenderc wrote:
I'm sure everyone probably got this letter or email. It said that you can charge up to 35k and pay over time.

This is on my Amex Green. I have no intention of doing that since I always treat all my cards like a debit and always PIF.

However, it's good to know that Amex offer some financial kick back for emergency funding for average spender.

I got the same letter and enrolled. As long as you use it responsibly if you need to revolve a balance I would not worry about it.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 14
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

+1 @LS
There are a few threads regarding this. Used responsibly, it's a none issue. They wouldn't have offered you the revolving option if you weren't credit worthy with Amex. Not everyone gets the offer. APR is higher then their revolvers. Go for it. It's a nice perk. Congrats! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 3 of 14
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@improvingmycredit wrote:
@+1 @Anonymous
There are a few threads regarding this. Used responsibly, it's a none issue. They wouldn't have offered you the revolving option if you weren't credit worthy with Amex. Not everyone gets the offer. APR is higher then their revolvers. Go for it. It's a nice perk. Congrats! Smiley Happy

awww...i didnt get a letter or email....Smiley Sad But then i have had the green for not even 2 months.

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 4 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@armbenderc wrote:

WOW, Others that got the letter, is your number to revolve different?

Do you have credit card products from Amex too? I would want to know why my credit line on those were not $35k if I can revolve up to that on a charge!

Message 5 of 14
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict
It's standard on the Charger if offered the option to revolve a balance over time. 35K limit. Nice little perk. Smiley Happy. Not all get the offer but you can apply:
http://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/pay-over-time/loc.html

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 6 of 14
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

I've had the Sign & Travel (extended pay option) on my Gold card for close to 20 years and used it once to buy emergency airline tickets about 17 years ago.  I took a few months to pay it off and there were no issues whatsoever.  About 14 months ago they sent me a letter regarding the Pay-Over-Time option and I got 5,000 MR points for enrolling in it.  My APR is actually not too bad - 15.24%, although other folks here have posted APRs around 18%.

If you need it, use it!  The fear of an FR is greatly exaggerated on these boards.

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 7 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@CribDuchess wrote:

I've had the Sign & Travel (extended pay option) on my Gold card for close to 20 years and used it once to buy emergency airline tickets about 17 years ago.  I took a few months to pay it off and there were no issues whatsoever.  About 14 months ago they sent me a letter regarding the Pay-Over-Time option and I got 5,000 MR points for enrolling in it.  My APR is actually not too bad - 15.24%, although other folks here have posted APRs around 18%.

If you need it, use it!  The fear of an FR is greatly exaggerated on these boards.

+++11111

it's just that we are a board of super good and super bad I feel... so "I" am more sensitive to what I read sometimes because you see it more but us however many thousands of posters don't come close to an average amount of amex cardmembers actually FR'd.

Message 8 of 14
n777ua
Established Contributor

Thats a great APR for the revolving option, I've been told they won't budge on that, and most everyone who has it that I know of is paying 18%.  They even reduced my APR to 10.24 on my BCE, but no dice on the Amex Green

@CribDuchess wrote:

My APR is actually not too bad - 15.24%, although other folks here have posted APRs around 18%.

About $215,000 total credit among 11 cards
Message 9 of 14
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

@n777ua wrote:

Thats a great APR for the revolving option, I've been told they won't budge on that, and most everyone who has it that I know of is paying 18%.  They even reduced my APR to 10.24 on my BCE, but no dice on the Amex Green

Yeah, it's better than my APR on my BCE - I got 22.24% on that one.  My Costco TE has 15.24%.  My Optima has the lowest APR at 13.24%.

Good job on getting 10.24% on your BCE!

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.